The Offseason Thread (Previously Retool vs Rebuild)

Rebuild or Retool?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Seriously, another load of horse **** from the front office. Any ideas anyone had about a "retool" can throw them out the window. This is a full on, burn it to the ground rebuild. I can't wait to hear the answer to this question when it gets asked during Larsen's press conference.

To be fair, Jarmo was the only one spewing the 'retool" BS. That ended almost immediately when JD was brought back and Jarmo underwent his very public neutering.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Bogosian, Pysyk, Hakanpaa, Luke Schenn, Ceci, Hronek (RFA), Jaros (IMHO Christian is enough underrated) (RFA)... 2021 NHL Free Agents Tracker

My thinking is I don’t want to lose resources, so RFAs are probably out. Unless there is some weird scenario where a team doesn’t want to / can’t afford to pay a guy and they need to move him (aka the Brandon Saad of right defensemen). But Saad cost Dano and Anisimov, which was a fair trade. I don’t know that we want to trade something like Foudy and Domi for the Brandon Saad of right defensemen. But maybe.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
My thinking is I don’t want to lose resources, so RFAs are probably out. Unless there is some weird scenario where a team doesn’t want to / can’t afford to pay a guy and they need to move him (aka the Brandon Saad of right defensemen). But Saad cost Dano and Anisimov, which was a fair trade. I don’t know that we want to trade something like Foudy and Domi for the Brandon Saad of right defensemen. But maybe.
The true I would like to stay Domi and Foudy here. But we`ll see.

I hope Laine and Nyquist will stay here. I like Gus. My worries are only about his health conditions but I hope it`ll be fine.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Jd will be the face outfront on the rebuild.. Jarmo is always going to say the goal is to win the Stanley Cup.. what do you want him to say, yeah our goal is to tank ?
I admired NYR being honest by coming out with a letter announcing their rebuild..

And I think the same would go a long way with fans here … especially with a Jones move upcoming.

Maybe they haven’t fully decided yet and feel Lars was the best option regardless. Time will tell.

Reactions: thebus88

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I admired NYR being honest by coming out with a letter announcing their rebuild..

And I think the same would go a long way with fans here … especially with a Jones move upcoming.

You at least have to pretend you are aiming for the playoffs until Jones is moved. And that he might be part of the plan. Don’t want to completely give up your ability to negotiate a trade.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Maybe they haven’t fully decided yet and feel Lars was the best option regardless. Time will tell.

Once Jones is traded , I would assume that would be the time to start with that messaging .

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
You at least have to pretend you are aiming for the playoffs until Jones is moved. And that he might be part of the plan. Don’t want to completely give up your ability to negotiate a contract extension.

fixed it for you

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Berniers this draft
Wright/Lambert next draft.

Sign/keep Laine, Laine& Bjorkstrand at W.
Get Werenski commit longterm.

Sell Jones at 50% for the best prospect you can land.

= Winning

Reactions: Toe Pick

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
fixed it for you

My ideal scenario is we trade him for something like 2 really good prospects, he moves on to a contender, he is good but not spectacular in a more offensive system (still is considered a top 8-12 RD), he loses the first round of the playoffs (not his fault), and we resign him in free agency for less than we would have signed him now. Plus we get a top draft pick next year.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Grigo had some points on in the end of the season and quite good xG%. But except 1 goal and 1 assist other assist were for assists and one had so good xG% only thanks to partners.
So Marner isn`t a player for us. Of course if we can be succesful. I would like to see a player like Mark Stone here.
I don't know what Grigs has to do with anything. He couldn't stay in they lineup let alone be an impact player. My point still stands. We have no elite players on the roster. And only a few that have the potential. Mark stone would be nice, but he's not leaving LV.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Maybe the decision is essentially on Jones.

I think if Jarmo is able to sign a couple good UFAs (Killorn/Coleman/Palmieri etc) and is able to move some forward assets in order to improve/alter the defense and get a decent center, I think they could convince Jones to re-sign and the team would be good moving forward.

Booooooone 38

Apr 10, 2016
Trade Jones for Turcotte plus #8. Trade late first for Nolan Patrick. Sign Danault. Draft Mactavish. Use #8 on D sign a RD free agent.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I don't know what Grigs has to do with anything. He couldn't stay in they lineup let alone be an impact player. My point still stands. We have no elite players on the roster. And only a few that have the potential. Mark stone would be nice, but he's not leaving LV.
I wanted to show how stats can be incorrect.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Ignoring goalie situation for now.

- Keep draft picks
- Trade Jones for 2 really good prospects
- Trade Jenner at deadline or now (whatever gets better return) for first or good prospect
- Sign a good free agent center (Denault?) but do not go crazy with both salary and term (can go high with salary for shorter term)
- Sign a vet right D for about 4 years (solid but not stud)
- Extend Werenski if at possible (even if we overpay)
- Extend MDZ or Lehtonen (or MDZ 2 years and maybe Lehtonen longer)
- Seattle takes Kukan or Nyquist or Stenlund

After 2 years, our 11 new young guys (some still not in NHL) are:

2021 high draft pick
2022 high draft pick
Jones trade
Jones trade
2021 Toronto pick
2022 Tampa pick
Jenner trade
Russian
Russian
Russian
2022 2nd

Russians are forwards. Of the 8 picks and prospects, need two centers (one top end prospect), three D (one top end), and a big wing.

Plus maybe Angle or Knazko is a contributor. And maybe we hit on a late pick or 2.

Plus
vet center signed this summer
Bjork
Laine
Tex
Cam
Roslovic
Domi
Foudy
Bemstrom
Robinson/Stenlund
Werenski
Gav
vet right D signed this summer
MDZ or Lehtonen
Kukan?
Peeke
Carlsson or Harrington

Reactions: majormajor

Kevo22363

Sep 28, 2017
Hilliard, OH

- Keep draft picks
- Trade Jenner at deadline or now (whatever gets better return) for first or good prospect
- Sign a good free agent center (Denault?) but do not go crazy with both salary and term (can go high with salary for shorter term)

2021 high draft pick
2022 high draft pick
Jones trade
Jones trade
2021 Toronto pick
2022 Tampa pick
Jenner trade
Russian
Russian
Russian
2022 2nd

Russians are forwards. Of the 8 picks and prospects, need two centers (one top end prospect), three D (one top end), and a big wing.

Plus maybe Angle or Knazko is a contributor. And maybe we hit on a late pick or 2.

Plus
Bjork
Laine
Tex
Cam
Roslovic
Domi
Foudy
Bemstrom
Robinson/Stenlund
Werenski
Gav
MDZ or Lehtonen
Kukan?
Peeke
Carlsson or Harrington

Sounds great, except this plan takes one thing the Jackets don't have and have never had...Luck.

Reactions: koteka

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Current (assumed) roster candidates for next year in no order:

Laine - Roslovic - Bjorkstrand
Nyquist - Texier - Atkinson
Hofman - Jenner - Danforth
Bemmstrom - Dunne - China
Robinson - Stenlund - Foudy
Sherwood - MacInnis - Matteau
Gerber - Dalpe - someone else we tried

Hurt: Domi

Werenski - Jones (for now)
Gavrikov - Peeke
Kukan - Harrington

MDZ and Lethonen probably get looks for contracts.

I see lots of young quantity trying to prove it belongs. That of it hits is maybe 2nd line quality. I also see a severe need at RHD assuming Jones leaves. That would be us losing our top 2 RHD in one year.

It seems to me like even if we go rebuild we should trade some of the unproven players to see what we have and what we can get. Like there's 3 too many forwards (at least) and guys that need to go to the AHL.

If we go for the playoffs, the gaping homes at C and RHD....

If we go with @majormajor's idea of Marner and Holl for Jones and Domi (doubt that works now with his injury). Then sign Danault, things could get interesting. I like the idea of Danault and Bjork drawing another team's to line.

Laine - Roslovic - Marner
Nyquist - Danault - Bjorkstrand
Texier - Jenner - Atkinson
Robinson - Foudy - China (speed kills line)

Finding a home for some other guys like Hofman is an issue. Yes i know Robinson or someone will go to Seattle but Danforth likely plugs that spot (speed). I'd rather a 200 ft center with Marner and Laine but Marner is a lot like Panarin. I think the playoffs are doable without sacrificing the future.

I look at Vegas and those 3Cs of Stehpenson, Karlsson, and Roy are just solid guys. I think we could replicate that easily enough.

Reactions: Fro and majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

- Keep draft picks

2021 high draft pick
2022 high draft pick
Jones trade
Jones trade
2021 Toronto pick
2022 Tampa pick
Jenner trade
Russian
Russian
Russian
2022 2nd

Plus
Bjork
Laine
Tex
Cam
Roslovic
Domi
Foudy
Bemstrom
Robinson/Stenlund
Werenski
Gav
MDZ or Lehtonen
Kukan?
Peeke
Carlsson or Harrington

Yes, I went through the same exercise and noted that we're already set on soft wingers. Centers, RD, and gritty power forwards are in dire shortage.

Reactions: koteka

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Sounds great, except this plan takes one thing the Jackets don't have and have never had...Luck.

If folks are assuming we will have poor luck, then they must be opposed to a rebuild. The whole process of tearing down and building up is a gambit.

Reactions: Monk

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Zach declines to extend would you trade him and one of our young F's Tex/Bemmstrom/Foudy to Detroit for 6OA and Vrana or Fabbri? If you would do you think Detroit would?

Reactions: Fro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad