The Official Training Camp Thread (Warning, Post #310)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
If he's still available in the 7th round in his 3rd yr of draft eligibility, i think it's a pretty safe bet he ain't getting drafted. Better off gambling on an 17/18 yr old you like, then signing Abols minutes after the draft if he has a good progression season this yr.

Yeah if he goes undrafted then we should be able to sign him after the draft. After playing a full season in the WHL he should count as a North American player. Would be better than spending a pick on him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If he's still available in the 7th round in his 3rd yr of draft eligibility, i think it's a pretty safe bet he ain't getting drafted. Better off gambling on an 17/18 yr old you like, then signing Abols minutes after the draft if he has a good progression season this yr.

Agreed with that.

Somewhat frustrating we didn't take this guy with our 7th this year instead of a no-hoper like Olson, though. Just a miles better prospect.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
IMO contract slots are more valuable than 7th round picks. Just my opinion though. I'd rather buy two years to see his progress than use 1 of 50 slots on a potential dud.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
How do you cut guys before you even do anything on the ice :huh:? Its media day lol. "I DIDNT LIKE HOW HE TALKED...CUT HIS ASS!"

in this case "cut" means "didn't make main camp roster". Basically they didn't play well enough at young stars to get invited to main camp.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Virtanen is looking swole. He looks like the kid who would pick on guys like Linden Vey.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I forgot about Grenier.

Zero discussion or news about Pedan as well... a forgotten Dman that shows up every once in awhile when someone mocks up a Utica lineup...

Hopefully he had a productive summer and wasn't hampered with any lingering concussion symptoms..

Looking forward to seeing his level of mobility. I have this impression of him that he's some sort of plodding dman. I can't remember watching him play... so a guy of interest for me.

Utica D : Subban, Hutton, and McEmemy... Sautner despite his defensive issues looked good on the PP vs the baby Jets...
Reviews on Pedan were good pre-ntko. Fedun and Biega the vets.. I don't mind the prospective AHL D going in... The kids will get a lot of ice it looks like.

Last edited:

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
I honestly dont think McCann or Cassels will make the team as the 4th line spot. I also dont think they will move Gaunce back to center, but i can see him being an extra forward as he his more versatile in where he can play.

That being said I am not sold on Linden Vey being the 4th line center, I can see Benning keeping his eye out on the Waiver wire for a 4th line center pick up. A guy like Jordan Weal from LA is a player I would look at. LA is in tough with Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Lewis and Nolan, and Weal will have to go through waivers. Maybe even offer LA a late draft pick for him as they may accept over loosing him for nothing. Weal also was the main threat for Manchester in beating Utica in the finals.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
-Vey, Baertschi, and Tanev are still pencil necks
-Sutter is a bean pole, fits right in between the Sedins
-Virtanen and Horvat (listed as 203?) look pretty darn solid for a pair of younglings
-Prust is a consummate pro. Said all the right things, including lying through his teeth about being separate from the girlfriend
-Vrbata seemed a bit warmer to the idea of playing with Horvat than Sutter (hesitated then invoked lack of knowledge of Easter Conference)

And so it begins...

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I honestly dont think McCann or Cassels will make the team as the 4th line spot. I also dont think they will move Gaunce back to center, but i can see him being an extra forward as he his more versatile in where he can play.

That being said I am not sold on Linden Vey being the 4th line center, I can see Benning keeping his eye out on the Waiver wire for a 4th line center pick up. A guy like Jordan Weal from LA is a player I would look at. LA is in tough with Kopitar, Carter, Toffoli, Lewis and Nolan, and Weal will have to go through waivers. Maybe even offer LA a late draft pick for him as they may accept over loosing him for nothing. Weal also was the main threat for Manchester in beating Utica in the finals.

There will be no good young player that will drop to us on the waiver wire that is better than Vey. (I think we are 23rd)

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
There will be no good young player that will drop to us on the waiver wire that is better than Vey. (I think we are 23rd)

Yah thats why i said possibly offering them a late pick, or lower prospect, just something that maybe LA bites instead of loosing the player for nothing

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Why would la get rid of weal

Might come down to a numbers thing.

Kopitar, Lucic, Brown, Carter, Gaborik, Toffoli and Pearson are garunteed for 7 spots.

Then King, Clifford, Lewis, Nolan and Anderoff competing for spots aswell.

So they already have 12 forwards on the roster now so someone is gong to have to be moved eventually.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Might come down to a numbers thing.

Kopitar, Lucic, Brown, Carter, Gaborik, Toffoli and Pearson are garunteed for 7 spots.

Then King, Clifford, Lewis, Nolan and Anderoff competing for spots aswell.

So they already have 12 forwards on the roster now so someone is gong to have to be moved eventually.
Weal would only be competing for a bottom 6 role with toffoli shore Lewis or Nolan, they could just keep him over Nolan (who sucks) or as a 13th forward.

I doubt they accept anything less than the 3rd the picked him with and we don't have a 3rd.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Sutter with the Sedins and Hamhuis basically confirms he'll have an 'A' on his sweater, no?

I would have thought that they wait to see who steps up before they name him as an assistant :dunno: ? Until it is confirmed I'll take it as the leadership group being a support for him since he was the biggest acquisition of the summer for the team.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Could someone post the complete camp roster? the one at the start of this thread is way incomplete. Thanx!

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Zero discussion or news about Pedan as well... a forgotten Dman that shows up every once in awhile when someone mocks up a Utica lineup...

Hopefully he had a productive summer and wasn't hampered with any lingering concussion symptoms..

Looking forward to seeing his level of mobility. I have this impression of him that he's some sort of plodding dman. I can't remember watching him play... so a guy of interest for me.

Utica D : Subban, Hutton, and McEmemy... Sautner despite his defensive issues looked good on the PP vs the baby Jets...
Reviews on Pedan were good pre-ntko. Fedun and Biega the vets.. I don't mind the prospective AHL D going in... The kids will get a lot of ice it looks like.

My bet on Utica's camp breaking D:

Biega/Fedun/Pedan
Hutton/Subban/McEneny

Erhardt
Negrin (yes. Nepo makes the roster as a spare)

Sautner and Cederholm go to the ZOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1