The Official Team Canada/Ice Hockey Olympics Thread - VII - Gold Medal Edition!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Price was good but probably faced the fewest shots (and who knows, the fewest quality shots, I haven't researched it) of any of the final 4 teams. Plus, Price was fronted by the best defensive corps in the game.

Still, Price was brilliant, however, it could be argued that Selanne made more out of less and led an underdog team to a medal:

In his sixth and final Olympic Games, Teemu Selanne is leaving with more than a bronze medal. The Finnish Flash was named the Olympic tournament MVP as selected by the media.

The other individual awards went to Carey Price (Canada) for the best goaltender, Erik Karlsson (Sweden) for the best defenseman and Phil Kessel (USA) for best forward. Those four players were joined by Drew Doughty (Canada) and Mikael Granlund (Finland) on the all-tournament team.

Perhaps Selanne wasn't the best player in this tournament but he was close to it. The 43-year-old showed he still had some game left in his stick, scoring four goals in the tournament including two against the USA in the bronze-medal game. He became the oldest player in Olympic history to score a goal.

Not to mention, he was the heart and soul for a Finnish team that surprised many by getting on the podium once again, something that has almost become a tradition for Finland. It's partially a life-achievement award for Selanne but it's nowhere near a token nod, Selanne played the best hockey he has played in a few years in Sochi.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
:laugh:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Leafs one of only five NHL teams that didn't have a player win a medal in Sochi.

But they took a team that didn't win the cup to 7 games in the first round, and were a high sticking penalty away from winning the cup in 93 :laugh:

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
:laugh:

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Leafs one of only five NHL teams that didn't have a player win a medal in Sochi.

But they took a team that didn't win the cup to 7 games in the first round, and were a high sticking penalty away from winning the cup in 93 :laugh:

Things like that always happen to the Leafs.

jsyutx.jpg

callmek2

Go Habs Go!
Oct 5, 2011
PK Subban should have been the tournament MVP.
No player brought a team closer than PK. The Canadians were worried if they had a bad game, PK would come and make them look bad. So they hard and as a cohesive unit thanks to PK. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness, great tournament for the boys. Ecstatic about the goal. Even though I would liked to have seen a few line up changes, its about the logo in front, not the name in the back. Go Canada Go!

PS - First game back, Montreal vs. Detroit. Hope PK comes back hungry and shows Babcock what he missed out on :)

RussCourtnallsGhost

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
Does anyone have a pic of the Swedish coach alone on the bench looking all depressed? Felt bad for the guy, but wanted to caption it with: "Everybody hurts... sometimes".

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Watched the repeat, Subban looked like a kid in a candy store during all that.

I hope the media and fans don't beat this out of his personality, no matter what he does on the ice. He's a fun guy, definitely a mould breaker.

He seems like a guy that could change the tone of a funeral.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Does anyone have a pic of the Swedish coach alone on the bench looking all depressed? Felt bad for the guy, but wanted to caption it with: "Everybody hurts... sometimes".

Not feeling bad....while it's not the reason why they lost, he should have recognized OEL talent and let him play. I guess he doesn't have TV or anything....

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Not feeling bad....while it's not the reason why they lost, he should have recognized OEL talent and let him play. I guess he doesn't have TV or anything....

Now that I think back, Marts also seemed to heavily undervalue OEL when he coached the World Juniors in 2010 while also overvaluing the duo of Tim Erixon and David Rundblad, who were terrible for most of the tourney.

simplysincere*

Congrats team Canada. GG. I can't wait for Wednesday's game aka Subban's revenge against Babock ! Those Olympics gave me a newfound hate for the Redwings and their headcoach. That's good for the new rivalry I guess. Screw Detroit !

And how nice was it to see Price get a 2nd shutout in a row !

Despite winning the Gold people still manage to complain. Just amazing.

simplysincere*

It was ... and by doing so with such a strong dominating defensive performance against both the US and Sweden, as versus an overtime goal like last Olympics, it also showed that Canada can still solidly dominate other teams in hockey instead of getting there by having a lucky overtime win.

Integrity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad