Speculation: The Official Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Prior to the Washington game, I wanted a push for the playoffs. I thought it was somehow still possible with bad teams in our division. We're the worst of the bunch. I've lived this season in denial though I predicted a playoff miss. Get me up to date with top top ten talent. Really only know about Nolan Patrick. I have finally learned to accept fate.
Welcome aboard. You might get some additional company, with how the Minnesota game is going.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Loving these recent games. Kids (minus Larkin) and Vanek scoring but we're still losing in regulation. Keep it up and chances are good we get one of Nolan/Hischier/Liljegren.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
What's the point in canning him now? Wait until at least the season is over so we can continue tanking. We're not making the playoffs anyway.

I don't know about anyone else, but I for one despise the idea of losing on purpose or making it easier to lose just for the sake of a better draft pick.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
What's the point in canning him now? Wait until at least the season is over so we can continue tanking. We're not making the playoffs anyway.

This. Todd Nelson came into Edmonton with about 35 games left and turned their roster into an okay team raising them up in the standings. We need to finish the season with Blash, and suck. With Jonathan Ericsson out, potentially Gustav Nyquist, let's see a tad of Robbie Russo and Chevy.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I don't know about anyone else, but I for one despise the idea of losing on purpose or making it easier to lose just for the sake of a better draft pick.

Well that's good and fair on your part, but I and many others would prefer to see the team improve sooner rather than later.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Loving these recent games. Kids (minus Larkin) and Vanek scoring but we're still losing in regulation. Keep it up and chances are good we get one of Nolan/Hischier/Liljegren.

I like watching Mantha and AA but outside of them there's not much. Coreau is crap, Larkin is seriously underwhelming. Jensen/XO are fine, but very meh.

And team as a whole just seems to be confused as hell. They broadcasters were talking about it today and I wholeheartedly agree. THERE IS NO PUCK SUPPORT from our team.

Z can be in a 2v1 puck battle and NO ONE gets open for a pass or goes in to help him. Our team is not made up of Datsyuks who can go 2v1 and retain control. We need puck support. We're awful at puck support. And unless this is the most disciplined team on the planet and they've been given orders not to support each other, that can't be a coaching problem. The lack of puck support is about as bad as I've ever seen from any level of hockey above middle schoolers. Even beer leagues know how to support their teammates better than we do. It's just so ****ing obvious. Move your ****ing feet. Give your teammates an outlet for a pass. If you see an opposing player between you and the guy with the puck then you're not in a good place. Skate at the pass instead of waiting for it while the other team intercepts it.

We're awful at basic hockey **** and it's a little frightening. Because as much individual skill as some of our guys have, we're not much of a team. And hockey is a team sport more than any other of the major sports.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Well that's good and fair on your part, but I and many others would prefer to see the team improve sooner rather than later.

I just think it sends a bad message to the team. Why would our players want to continue to play here when the team is basically saying they are ok with losing? A lot of our team is either tied up in long term contracts or are on ELC. I don't think wanting to lose would set right with these players.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I find that hard to believe to be honest. This organization still holds a lot of pedigree and I think coaches would love the chance to coach here.
Strongly disagree. The Detroit Red Wings have a shiny new building incoming...

...and are otherwise a very pedestrian organization.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Strongly disagree. The Detroit Red Wings have a shiny new building incoming...

...and are otherwise a very pedestrian organization.

I don't think it is that attractive of a job to be honest. Everyone knows we don't have any elite talent on the roster or in the pipeline. Rebuilding teams turn over coaches like pancakes.

If we let go of Blash, we aren't going to have many options unless we want to promote Nelson and retain him for next year (admittedly a viable option). Your other realistic options are your assistants (one of which is in charge of our awesome pp). There aren't many good, established veteran coaches on the market at this time of year.

Oct 18, 2006
Perfection. Where are we currently sitting in terms of draft position?

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Me too. But they aren't losing on purpose. I just believe that unless there is a chance of making the playoffs, there is no point canning the coach now when there will likely be more options in the summer.

And at least the kids are scoring, which is good for them....

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
I don't think it is that attractive of a job to be honest. Everyone knows we don't have any elite talent on the roster or in the pipeline. Rebuilding teams turn over coaches like pancakes.

If we let go of Blash, we aren't going to have many options unless we want to promote Nelson and retain him for next year (admittedly a viable option). Your other realistic options are your assistants (one of which is in charge of our awesome pp). There aren't many good, established veteran coaches on the market at this time of year.

Perhaps in the summer there will be more options. It also depends what happens in the draft lottery. The wings pick up a top 3 pick, and do well getting more at the TDL in terms of return, and suddenly this team looks a lot more attractive to prospective coaches, particularly if offered Bowman/Babcock levels of influence.

The thing about the current NHL is that 2 or 3 great draft picks and a couple of smart FA signings (even at the lower level) and you can go from bottom 3 to top 10 league-wise in a couple of years. Top 5 is a another question, as that requires star power and some experience...

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I just think it sends a bad message to the team. Why would our players want to continue to play here when the team is basically saying they are ok with losing? A lot of our team is either tied up in long term contracts or are on ELC. I don't think wanting to lose would set right with these players.
Sadly, I don't think it will matter. By the time there's enough talent to contend again, the vast majority of the current roster won't be here.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I find that hard to believe to be honest. This organization still holds a lot of pedigree and I think coaches would love the chance to coach here.
Things have gotten a little interesting on that front, IMO. Coaches are going to want to know: with Ilitch gone, is this the same organization? And it's a reasonable question. That's one of the things the players have always emphasized, that the Ilitches treated them like family. Coaches and players are going to want to know if it's still the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad