Pre-Game Talk: The official SENS are Elimated vs Carolina game, Sat 7PM on HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Are folks still calling the fans bad? Seriously?

If you have a good product, priced at the right price point, people will buy it.

This is not a case of people not being good fans. Or Ottawa not being a good market. It’s a case of a bad product that is over priced.

Reactions: Karl Prime

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are folks still calling the fans bad? Seriously?

If you have a good product, priced at the right price point, people will buy it.

This is not a case of people not being good fans. Or Ottawa not being a good market. It’s a case of a bad product that is over priced.
Lol we made the conference finals last year. (People still weren’t going). This has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with the price. Price that is consistent with every other sports team and all other entertainment industries.

Reactions: coladin

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I have a half season and I rarely eat there. Usually a coffee or a drink or two. Nav Canada had a box at the Oiler game, so they can buy but maybe as a reward, not for potential clients.

Nav Canada is a weird beast, it's technically a private not for profit corp with like the feds and unions and air carriers on its board.. so how that interplays I'm not sure.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Lol we made the conference finals last year. (People still weren’t going). This has nothing to do with the product and everything to do with the price. Price that is consistent with every other sports team and all other entertainment industries.
I don't know if its that simple.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Then what is it? We’ve always had attendance issues. This isn’t new. It’s not like all of a sudden people are like “oh yeaaaaahhhh melnyk is an ass”
We never had attendance issues in the playoffs though have we? At least to the magnitude of last season.

Don't think fans just decided to be cheap in the playoffs. Especially in rounds 2 and 3

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
L'Avy why do you always have to pop in and vomit all over the thread. from what I can read people are actually having a discussion for once, no one needed you to do a flyby.

I think we stopped giving away all of the freebies and that coincided with the obvious attendance drop. Phoenix could play a part as well now, but it's easy to have endless sellouts when a few thousand tickets are given away for every game.

The cheapest tickets in the arena, in the cheapest arena in Canada were not selling out. That's just a fact, it's about fining out why this market can't/won't sell out at better prices than other teams. Add to the fact that when we were better we still didn't sell out and all of a sudden it's a problem, especially when fans are at the same time clamouring for the owner to spend more money.

It Ottawa a bad hockey market? No, there are far worse markets down south, but it's no showing well against the other Canadian markets at the moment, and there is definitely a reason for it. What is the reason? Melnyk? Parking? Location? Fan apathy? Price? I mean we've made the playoffs more consistently than any of the other Canadian teams, and yet their fans seem to still be able to sell out despite years and years away from the dance. Why is that?

The point of identifying the problem is to find a solution. It's not good enough to say the team sucks, because fans have to go through down times and we still haven't missed the playoffs two years in a row, while having two of the leagues most epic runs in the last couple of years. If fans aren't willing to pay to watch this Sens team, then there are serious problems because it can get a lot worse than this.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Then what is it? We’ve always had attendance issues. This isn’t new. It’s not like all of a sudden people are like “oh yeaaaaahhhh melnyk is an ass”
Ottawa was in top 10 or just outside of it attendance wise from 03-04 to 2013-2014. The team was very well supported before being stuck in this long stretch of mediocrity. Even in the early part of the rebuild people were still showing up no problem. You also have to take into consideration the current state of affair with the public sector in Ottawa, Melnyk's money woes and the departure of beloved star players like Alfie, Spezza, etc. Cheapness may be part of it but it's not the only factor. Nobody was being cheap when the franchise was seemingly healthy.

2017-2018 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Lack of corporate seats.

Joe Fan is doing his/her job.

Or at least they were until Melnyk started to cheap out and took hope away.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We also have to remember, all teams give away tickets and paper attendance to an extent. Why Ottawa decided to be a lone wolf and not do it...feels like it was designed more to embarrass fans (precursor to the tarp thinking) instead of actively looking for solutions.

Ottawa is an ornery bunch. We're not the type to bend over than say "thank you sir, may I have another" like some other markets. But we're not exactly unique, either. I'm old enough to remember the Blackhawks playing to half empty building and blacking out their games as their way to punish/embarrass fans into buying tickets. Boston has had lean years. The main reason Chicago turned around is the death of the old owner and his son giving an olive branch to the fans.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
I have this discussion with many and the finger always gets pointed to the fans regarding last year's playoff run. We were humiliated and embarrassed nationally and internationally (USA) because of the non sellout. It's the cheap fans. Period. Never mind all the excuses, too far (really, never was a problem before), the traffic (really, again, the extra lane added by your government is a god send, from carling, I am in the building in 13min), the product (seriously, the most exciting run getting there), oh the owner (please, you are there to see these superstars), too expensive (eat at home people) all excuses for the Alligator arms trying not to reach into their pockets. This market will not be to appealing to any billionaire group.....especially if things don't go well Spencer will start another billboard campaign.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
If there is anything the fans have a legit complaint against it's the inconsistency of the team. This 'playoffs one year then miss the next' gets annoying and it's hard to get any momentum in any direction for anything because of this.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We never had attendance issues in the playoffs though have we? At least to the magnitude of last season.

Don't think fans just decided to be cheap in the playoffs. Especially in rounds 2 and 3
So you think we had some empty seats in the POs last year because of melnyk? Hard to believe. Lots of convos I had came down to one thing. Price. Cuz prices go up the deeper you get into the POs

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I have this discussion with many and the finger always gets pointed to the fans regarding last year's playoff run. We were humiliated and embarrassed nationally and internationally (USA) because of the non sellout. It's the cheap fans. Period. Never mind all the excuses, too far (really, never was a problem before), the traffic (really, again, the extra lane added by your government is a god send, from carling, I am in the building in 13min), the product (seriously, the most exciting run getting there), oh the owner (please, you are there to see these superstars), too expensive (eat at home people) all excuses for the Alligator arms trying not to reach into their pockets. This market will not be to appealing to any billionaire group.....especially if things don't go well Spencer will start another billboard campaign.
Have you taken into consideration the size of the market? How many other teams do we have to compete against due to being an expansion team? How many rival fans are in the CTC when their team comes to play here? It's alot. We have a sub section of the fanbase to try to pry from due to other allegiances. It's not an easy task. Marketing can definitely help in that department but that's another area where this organization lacks in.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
So you think we had some empty seats in the POs last year because of melnyk? Hard to believe. Lots of convos I had came down to one thing. Price. Cuz prices go up the deeper you get into the POs
I never said that. I said your reasoning isn't that simple. Isolating the problem to cheap fans is an easy copout for a potentially deeper problem or set of problems. Melnyk doesn't help the cause if you hadn't noticed

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I don't know if its that simple.

What is that saying "when someone says it isn't about the money...it's about the money " :laugh:

Part of me in that Game 7 Double OT was shuddering at the real possibility of Stanley Cup tickets to purchase. Not gonna lie it was a little scary!

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You know what I just realized why this team never bounced back. The lack of the annual Chris Neil hockey fight in practice never occurred this season. We were screwed from the get go.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Lack of corporate seats.

Joe Fan is doing his/her job.

Or at least they were until Melnyk started to cheap out and took hope away.

BS. 30$ seats are Joe Fans job. Corporations don' buy those to entertain clients. Seriously dude

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Sensung, lots of $30 seats for you to purchase, surely you can afford those, you know the ones under the tarp. Imagine, you can see the best defenceman on the planet, right here in your home town, and chances are, you will not run into the owner there. What a deal, $30.00

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
What is that saying "when someone says it isn't about the money...it's about the money " :laugh:

Part of me in that Game 7 Double OT was shuddering at the real possibility of Stanley Cup tickets to purchase. Not gonna lie it was a little scary!
I reiterated this multiple times but I too was embarrassed that the games didn't sell out in the playoffs. I just don't think that being 'cheap' was the only culprit in that

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Have you taken into consideration the size of the market? How many other teams do we have to compete against due to being an expansion team? How many rival fans are in the CTC when their team comes to play here? It's alot. We have a sub section of the fanbase to try to pry from due to other allegiances. It's not an easy task. Marketing can definitely help in that department but that's another area where this organization lacks in.
talking specifically about the non-sellouts last year... that's on the fans... everyone was complaining about the ticket prices in the third round. Every single person I spoke to that hadn't seen a game, was moaning about the prices.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
talking specifically about the non-sellouts last year... that's on the fans... everyone was complaining about the ticket prices in the third round. Every single person I spoke to that hadn't seen a game, was moaning about the prices.
How many people have you talked to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad