Pre-Game Talk: The official SENS are Elimated vs Carolina game, Sat 7PM on HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Was at the game tonight, my first in two seasons, a few thoughts...

Karl looked sharp. Every time he had the puck (bar one) he made something happen Duchene looked great.

But to my biggest frustration ... I was at Big Rig the other day with my Dad. Two beers and two full (really delicious) meals cost $61. Tonight we got two pulled porks, a coke, and a cider. $50. As good as it was, the fact that there's an $11 difference between those two meals says something to me. I can go to Five Guys and get two burgers, fries, and two drinks (refillable) and it's like $25-30.

And not to my surprise, the water in the bathrooms is still frozen. Not cold. Frozen.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Hoffman is totally checked out. Can't really blame him though.

I get that it's hard to do when the team is out and it has been a hellish year...but damn. Hoffs body language the last few games has been brutal. I don't think he realizes how lucky he is. Dude could've easily been buried for life in the AHL or Europe.

It's definitely not a good look for him. I like Hoff and I want him as a part of our core for a long time, but the kid really needs to look in the mirror and figure some things out.

Reactions: Beville and Smeddy

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Was at the game tonight, my first in two seasons, a few thoughts...

Karl looked sharp. Every time he had the puck (bar one) he made something happen Duchene looked great.

But to my biggest frustration ... I was at Big Rig the other day with my Dad. Two beers and two full (really delicious) meals cost $61. Tonight we got two pulled porks, a coke, and a cider. $50. As good as it was, the fact that there's an $11 difference between those two meals says something to me. I can go to Five Guys and get two burgers, fries, and two drinks (refillable) and it's like $25-30.

And not to my surprise, the water in the bathrooms is still frozen. Not cold. Frozen.
Welcome to entertainment. If you’re expecting a meal and an event such as a hockey game to be the same price as at a restaurant you are simply dreaming. Go anywhere in the entertainment industry. It’s all pricey. The fact you seem to be complaining over an 11$ difference tells me your expectations are out of whack.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
Welcome to entertainment. If you’re expecting a meal and an event such as a hockey game to be the same price as at a restaurant you are simply dreaming. Go anywhere in the entertainment industry. It’s all pricey. The fact you seem to be complaining over an 11$ difference tells me your expectations are out of whack.

The average fan isn't going to pay $150 for tickets and then $70-90 on top of that for 10-20 games a season. Eugene wants to know why fan interest is down, it's a lot of little things that add up.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And Mike Condon rocking the. 826 save percentage tonight. <Bangs head on table repeatedly.> You can't win in the NHL getting mediocre to flat out garbage goaltending like we have received in the last three games. No way, no how.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The average fan isn't going to pay $150 for tickets and then $70-90 on top of that for 10-20 games a season. Eugene wants to know why fan interest is down, it's a lot of little things that add up.
Okay but that’s life. Shits expensive. And Ottawa is notoriously cheap. I’m not melnyks biggest fan. But if this guy starts cutting parking costs. Slashing food prices. He really WILL BE losing money. Have you been to a movie theatre lately. Have you seen how much stuff costs there?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Exactly, going to a movie with my family, I get hosed for the water bottles, I can buy a case of 24 bottles for the price of one, the chocolate bars I get skinned on and the joujoubs are ridiculously expensive. I guess I should be putting up a billboard about Cineplex or Landmark cinemas. This is entertainment and hockey,baseball,basketball,football, formula one all are in the business.

Reactions: coladin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Exactly, going to a movie with my family, I get hosed for the water bottles, I can buy a case of 24 bottles for the price of one, the chocolate bars I get skinned on and the joujoubs are ridiculously expensive. I guess I should be putting up a billboard about Cineplex or Landmark cinemas. This is entertainment and hockey,baseball,basketball,football, formula one all are in the business.
That’s why you ask for a cup with water lol. Free.

Yeah I went to Pittsburgh to watch some football and uhh drinks were f***ing expensive. And outside the stadium they’re dirt cheap compared to here. AND the steeler actually MAKE money lol. They don’t neeed to gouge customers on food and drink but they do anyway. Because that’s the business

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
From what I gather (was at the game) that Melnyk would be better off moving the team to QC and he doesn't understand why EM is getting the hate that he is.

Big markets find it inconceivable that you can't sell out a playoffs game. Like you would NEVER EVER see that happen in Montreal or Toronto (when is the last time they didn't sell out in a regular season game?). Montreal medias still can't believe what happened in Ottawa last playoffs. Of course it pissed off Melnyk and now it's a mess

Let me tell you that prices in Ottawa are really cheap compared to Montreal. At the Bell center or even in most restaurants. It usually costs me 80-120$ for two and we don't even drink alcohol, only water.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Not much that was controversial to be honest. He just backed melnyk. Which clearly has some people up in arms.

You've gotta be kidding me. He doubled down on crapping on the fanbase while absolving Melnyk of any and all wrongdoing....all the while agreeing that moving the team would be the right decision.

If that isn't controversial to you I'm guessing you are ready to cheer for the Nordiques 2.0 or something.

Reactions: Karl Prime

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Okay but that’s life. ****s expensive. And Ottawa is notoriously cheap. I’m not melnyks biggest fan. But if this guy starts cutting parking costs. Slashing food prices. He really WILL BE losing money. Have you been to a movie theatre lately. Have you seen how much stuff costs there?

Are you expected to go to the movies 40+ times a year to be a "good" customer?

Different entertainment venues have different price ranges.

Reactions: Karl Prime

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
118.50%
214.00%
311.50%
410.00%
58.50%
67.50%
76.50%
85.50%
94.50%
103.50%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It’s important to remember how low all these odds are now. The worst team has the highest probability of 1st pick but it’s still only 18%. 16% chance it’s 2nd, 14% 3rd and 52% 4th.

So they are (1) most likely to pick 4th, (2) more likely to be 4th than top 3 and (3) almost 3x more likely to pick 4th than 1st.

Positioning matters and the lower you finish the better but it’s always a bit of a crapshoot. The leafs got so lucky when they got Matthews

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You've gotta be kidding me. He doubled down on crapping on the fanbase while absolving Melnyk of any and all wrongdoing....all the while agreeing that moving the team would be the right decision.

If that isn't controversial to you I'm guessing you are ready to cheer for the Nordiques 2.0 or something.
He did not say moving the team would be the right thing. You’re taking that out of context.

Reactions: coladin and JD1

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Are you expected to go to the movies 40+ times a year to be a "good" customer?

Different entertainment venues have different price ranges.
Right. And it’s standard across all sports..... and all entertainment.

Only season ticket holders go 40 times a year. Some people don’t even go once a year. Or twice or three times. That’s probably the average. So yeah. Average movies a year and average games a year. Aboooout the same I’m guessing

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
People need to accept that Ottawa doesn’t sell out because it’s cheap. We can build a winner and people still won’t go because then guess what? Tickets would be more expensive. I was born here. Grew up here. Love this city. But as a whole the people are penny pinchers in this town. It’s a big city with small town mentality. Could be the fact that it’s a government town and that culture kind of promotes tight wallets, for what reason I’m not sure but whatever.

We don’t want a “nicer” owner. We want an owner with more money. And that’s fair and I will back MelnykOut with that thought in mind. People are kidding themselves with some things now though

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Why not just bring in your own food to the movies? I don't get it.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
We don’t want a “nicer” owner. We want an owner with more money. And that’s fair and I will back MelnykOut with that thought in mind. People are kidding themselves with some things now though

Pretty much this. Melnyk is a frustrating personality, but that's par for the course in professional sports ownership. He can be a dillhole all he wants, as long as he's honest with the fanbase, treats the Senators as a competitive professional hockey franchise given the resources needed to compete at an at-minimum league-average level, keeps his nose out of the hockey side of the business, and stops threatening the fanbase.

The purpose of the movement is to increase public awareness that the team is currently being run into the ground, for a potential and hypothetical variety of reasons, and that some fans are taking notice.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I get that it's hard to do when the team is out and it has been a hellish year...but damn. Hoffs body language the last few games has been brutal. I don't think he realizes how lucky he is. Dude could've easily been buried for life in the AHL or Europe.

It's definitely not a good look for him. I like Hoff and I want him as a part of our core for a long time, but the kid really needs to look in the mirror and figure some things out.

the lack of effort and the body language has always been there with Hoffman. Sometimes it is better / worse than others but it is there.

And it's why I never would or will have an issue if they trade him. you do not want those attributes rubbing off on young players and I've posted that before.

I also think it will impact any potential return on trading him. Which will start another 100 page thread on PD getting fleeced

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

and yet our ticket prices are the lowest in the country

if the average fan won't pay that AND
the average income in ottawa is higher than in other canadian cities THEN how is this a strong market?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Cherry seems to think the Billboards were supported by the entire Fan Base, they're not. If he had known that just over 400 "fans" had contributed to the Billboards, then perhaps he would not have lambasted the entire Fan Base ........... but he's an entertainer, and based in Toronto, so I kind expect that.

One thing he did say, and it was quick, but I think he said that Melnyk phoned, and asked him about the Chara/Redden decision, that the Senators had to do back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad