The Official Prudential Center, Surrounding Area and Season Ticket Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Wow I thought they had forgotten about the Triangle Park idea at this point since it's been what 10 years of talks and stalled talks?

Looks like it'll be somewhere in the yellow/red area based on the rendering. The red area is now completely empty as that small car dealership is no longer there so I'd assume some of it would go into both areas.

trianglepk_zpsw0ljcvc8.jpg

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Wow I thought they had forgotten about the Triangle Park idea at this point since it's been what 10 years of talks and stalled talks?

Looks like it'll be somewhere in the yellow/red area based on the rendering. The red area is now completely empty as that small car dealership is no longer there so I'd assume some of it would go into both areas.

Here's the article on it, for those interested: http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/02/newark_council_approves_triangle_park_project.html

17104453-mmmain.jpg

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
A little closer to Traingle Park finally becoming a reality.
But still a ways to go.

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2015/02/newark_council_approves_triangle_park_project.html

Thanks for the update DD. This has been brewing at Newark City Council meetings since the beginning of the month but I did not want to post until things became more concrete. The Mayor and Council are definitely motivated to see this thing through which is good. However, Edison Properties is already grumbling and threatening litigation (which was curtly brushed aside by the Council) because it was not chosen as the developer.

The developer that won through a bidding process is Boraei Development. Most Newark watchers are lukewarm to them right now because they engaged in the farce or very premature groundbreaking of the One Riverview apartment tower (site of the former Ballantine brewery on Rector Street behind NJPAC) which has been dormant ever since. Shaq attended along with then mayor Cory Booker who was running for Senate at the time.

If I recall correctly the actual park is supposed to be the yellow area but stretching with a slightly increasing width right up to Mulberry Street. The red area and the rest of the parking lot just to the west of it are supposed to be redeveloped into buildings. The site across Mulberry from Championship Plaza is also part of the redevelopment area and its intended use is for a hotel.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
So do we have any estimation as to how long it'll take these projects to come to fruition? I hate when things get tied up in court....

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
So do we have any estimation as to how long it'll take these projects to come to fruition? I hate when things get tied up in court....

Not sure, it's not clear if Edison Properties is going to follow through with this threat yet. However, they are still involved with a lawsuit against the city (or one of its entities, might be the housing authority) over the parking garage that was supposed to be built behind City Hall. The parking garage was part of the burying of the hatchet with the Devils who are going to lease a significant amount of spots for arena events. Sure that did not help Edison's cause with the bidding process for the park development. I mean what were they expecting after unnecessarily causing the city trouble because it is threatening Edison's parking fiefdom?

Have not seen either proposal in full, but Edison claims they would have rehabilitated the old railroad bridge over Route 21 to connect pedestrians to the Ironbound. I hope that is still accomplished with Boraei as the developer. If things go according to plan, all of the parking lots in front of the arena should be developed and those spots replaced by the new parking garage behind City Hall.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
In case you are looking to try a different place to eat pregame tonight, Mercato Tomato Pie is a good option.
http://mercatotomatopie.com/

It's on Market Street, a few doors down from Dino BBQ.

A medium pizza is more than enough for 2 people IMO.
Check out the menu at the link.

It has tables and booths (waiter service) & offers $4 Bud Light pints and $5.75 Stella and Shock Top pints.

Large flat screen tvs in each corner of the main dining room.

It's a good option for families, dates or even friends looking for good food/drink in a more laid back atmosphere than the other bars near The Rock.

It filled up fast before last Saturday's game, but take a look in to see if they have tables free tonight (or on Friday).

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
In case you are looking to try a different place to eat pregame tonight, Mercato Tomato Pie is a good option.
http://mercatotomatopie.com/

It's on Market Street, a few doors down from Dino BBQ.

A medium pizza is more than enough for 2 people IMO.
Check out the menu at the link.

It has tables and booths (waiter service) & offers $4 Bud Light pints and $5.75 Stella and Shock Top pints.

Large flat screen tvs in each corner of the main dining room.

It's a good option for families, dates or even friends looking for good food/drink in a more laid back atmosphere than the other bars near The Rock.

It filled up fast before last Saturday's game, but take a look in to see if they have tables free tonight (or on Friday).

My go-to place pregame now. I crave their pizza. Can't say enough good things about it. Talking to the manager, they have ties to one of the famous places in New Haven that are constantly ranked best pizza in America. Their pizza is almost exactly the same as it is in New Haven. He also said this is the first outside that area and a concept, so hopefully it catches on and they open more.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
My go-to place pregame now. I crave their pizza. Can't say enough good things about it. Talking to the manager, they have ties to one of the famous places in New Haven that are constantly ranked best pizza in America. Their pizza is almost exactly the same as it is in New Haven. He also said this is the first outside that area and a concept, so hopefully it catches on and they open more.

Have you tried any of their pastas or other dishes yet?

I also like their pizza a lot, I may like Monk Room's a tad better but Mercato is a much more comfortable place to dine IMO due to getting to sit at your own table (not community benches like in Monk Room).

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Have you tried any of their pastas or other dishes yet?

I also like their pizza a lot, I may like Monk Room's a tad better but Mercato is a much more comfortable place to dine IMO due to getting to sit at your own table (not community benches like in Monk Room).

Had a Caesar salad and it was excellent. Came out on a mini tray just like the ones they put their pizzas on. I like their pizza so much I just can't bring myself to get anything else. I get a large, which is enormous, and throw the leftovers in the car before I head into the game.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Just secured my season for next year:

Section 119, Row 13, Seats 10-11

Nothing better than getting that STH package in the mail. It's like Christmas.

BourbonMan

May 22, 2012
Morris County NJ
I spoke briefly with a rep about the MP at yesterday's game. She indicated to me that discount on tickets would be between the 1/2 year plan and the full year plan - so better pricing then the 1/2 year plan. There is playoff priority but the details depend on your investment (she did not have the fine print). the investment tiers go up to 15k

The part I am interested in is how these tickets are allocated. Is it simply - if I see the ticket on ticketmaster or box office, I can buy it at my membership discount? or is it a pre-allocated amount and first come / first serve. How far in advance do you need to commit to a game?

as someone who gave up STH due to being labled a broker, this plan appeals to me as I often have different amount of people coming with me and I like to sit in different areas. Of course, with the DEvils, the fine print details are important and I also have to consider whether its competitive against the Stub Hub plan as I usually only go to midweek games

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Didn't know where to put this, but you can purchase Devils license plates once again.
http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/nhl.htm

For a few weeks this year only the Flyers was an option.
Thankfully, fans can now represent our home team once again.

It's always nice to see these Devils plates on vehicles while on the roads.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Didn't know where to put this, but you can purchase Devils license plates once again.

Jersey needs to redesign the plates especially for the sports teams...so boring.

Love what Illinois does.

larger.jpg

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Jersey needs to redesign the plates especially for the sports teams...so boring.

Love what Illinois does.

While I agree, I will say our plates are way better than the Yankees/Jets/Giants ones because they're hardest to see from a distance. the football ones are just awful, a helmet?! Ours is at least easier to see.

I figured they were just changing it up, but a small part was worried it was gone forever. For those keeping watch, they replaced the Devils Charities thing at the bottom (Vanderbeek's thing) with the New Jersey Devils you see there.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Wow very surprised Triangle Park was approved, I thought that would never happen. Good to hear the bridge from Newark Penn connecting to the park will be built as well. Looking forward to this when it's all done.

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007

One subtle difference...they took the "Jersey's Team" off the bottom and replaced it with New Jersey Devils.

Sarge18

Feb 17, 2007
Anyone else get that survey the Devils just sent out? You can tell how many complaints they've received this year based on the what's in the survey. Boy are they gonna hear it depending on who they sent this out to. I gotta admit, they're in a real tough situation based on the stuff in this survey. On one hand they've got people complaining that they don't feel safe at games and don't like the obnoxious fans, and on the other they've got people saying the atmosphere sucks and it's a dead building. I'm right in the middle myself. I sure let them have it in terms of promotions and ticket prices for partial plans. Extremely curious to see where this leads...

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think it was a good survey, I had received similar ones from other teams I buy tickets.

It should give a lot of the chronic complainers an outlet to vent their feelings & agendas.
It also should give all fans an opportunity to speak their minds & offer their personal feedback & critiques.

I offered constructive criticism in the comments box and also had to throw in that a better on ice product is the #1 thing to improve the gameday atmosphere.

I also rated the promotions a 0 or 1 :)

drewbee30

Apr 22, 2012
Brick, NJ
Anyone else get that survey the Devils just sent out? You can tell how many complaints they've received this year based on the what's in the survey. Boy are they gonna hear it depending on who they sent this out to. I gotta admit, they're in a real tough situation based on the stuff in this survey. On one hand they've got people complaining that they don't feel safe at games and don't like the obnoxious fans, and on the other they've got people saying the atmosphere sucks and it's a dead building. I'm right in the middle myself. I sure let them have it in terms of promotions and ticket prices for partial plans. Extremely curious to see where this leads...

How do people not feel safe at games? I've had season tickets since PRU opened and never once have fealt unsafe outside the arena, particularly leaving late at night after leaving one of the bars. Stick to the general area, have a time in mind you want to leave and you'll be ok!

The survey was perfect, I'll be interested to see if they change anything next season!

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
How do people not feel safe at games? I've had season tickets since PRU opened and never once have fealt unsafe outside the arena, particularly leaving late at night after leaving one of the bars. Stick to the general area, have a time in mind you want to leave and you'll be ok!

The survey was perfect, I'll be interested to see if they change anything next season!

I think he's referring to fans that do not like the loud/raucous fans seating next to them.
Some of our older fans don't like other fans chanting/yelling loud, standing up, etc.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Great survey, but very true that on-ice performance and general negativity will skew everything to more negative than if the team was leading the division, but I also think they know that. For instance, the pre-season BBQ and new perks program was miles ahead of previous years, but does anyone care when the team stinks and prices go up?

I also think one thing to take into account is that a lot of fans don't know the experience at other arenas. I mean, our game day experience is miles ahead of Boston, Philly, and Washington to name a few I've been to recently (difference being their arenas are packed anyway and loud so the atmosphere has a much greater buzz). But before I experienced those arenas, I thought ours wasn't great. So I think a lack of perspective leaves people thinking it's much better everywhere else you go.

Anyway, my one improvement (I have a few but they asked for one) was to add an exclusive STH lounge/club with premium food and bar. Make the STH feel like a VIP at a game since sometimes the random fan next to them is paying less from StubHub for basically the same experience. But I said it has to be accessible to me during intermissions from the 200-level otherwise it'll be pointless. I think that space along the glass wall behind 229 could be a cool STH lounge for people in the upper level.

FLEX225

Nov 15, 2007
Bergen County, NJ
I'm glad they did a survey. It honestly does show they care. Is everything going to change based on it? No. But maybe a good idea pops up they didn't think of or something is brought up a lot that they missed the mark on. Whichever, it's smart to do this stuff.

I told them that they need to give bigger discounts to the full STH. 10% at the team store is honestly a damn joke. The Lightning give their STH a 25% discount on merch and a 35% discount on concessions. I, for one, think this is the best perk in the world. A lot of times you're eating dinner at the game so to spend $20 with food and drink for dinner 40 times a year gets pricey. I'd honestly be more apt to actually spend the money knowing I have that deep discount. You've got all of this amazing food. Make it more accessible. I also said that if you're a full STH and you buy a blank jersey at the team store you get personalization for free. If they say that you can't get the discount if you get the free personalization then that's fine. They could limit it to one jersey per year. I think you'd have a lot of jerseys sold that way.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I used almost all of the 1500 characters giving them a measured piece of my mind, mostly about the price increases and attempted secondary market control. I almost never use the comments section in one of those surveys either lol.

My points (one being the 200's are already a ghost town, and the 100's were a ghost town when pricing was just a tad higher than it will be next year) would probably be more effective directly to a rep but I'm not confrontational in real life and that stuff isn't the rep's fault anyway so anon's better for the moment.

217 Forever

Sep 15, 2014
I think he's referring to fans that do not like the loud/raucous fans seating next to them.
Some of our older fans don't like other fans chanting/yelling loud, standing up, etc.
To my dying days I will never understand this complaint. Do those people understand where they are and what type of event it is? If things are too loud and crazy for you then you are in the wrong place. I don't go to church on Sunday and wonder why it's so darn quiet. Utterly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad