The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
[mod]6 weeks ago they were moving the team now they are committed to winning. How stupid do these guys think we are? I can just imagine the conversations in a room of Dorion, Melnyk and Boucher. Everyone patting each other on the back saying its ok. Bunch of stubborn men who clearly dont think much of us, do they think we dont have any memories or are as stupid to think people are high fiving you for trading for Alex Burrows? Just get me out of this fan nightmare.

He never said he is moving the team. I will leave the "how stupid" part alone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FormentonTheFuture

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Right up to and including the Duchene trade, we've only ever seen "win now" PD. When you're in "win now" mode, you do some stupid stuff and are willing to give away some future (1st rounders, good prospects, even some dumb contracts) for what you see is a chance to fill the gaps that will push you over the top. We should be thankful that he protected that 1st rounder this year - I'm sure both he and Sakic thought it would be this year's pick - and that he didn't give away the A-tier prospects. A really really aggressive "win now" GM might not have even protected that much of the future.

I think PD has earned a chance to show us his "retooling" skill set. It's a PD we've never seen.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The Sens attendance didn't take a hit when they announced that they will rebuild in 2011 and give the young players more opportunity, if anything it created more fan buzz around the team.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Exactly, if they have a 2-7-1 start then he is toast.

If this is even a thought, he shouldn't even be given the start of next season. Why even take the risk that this "could" happen? Its obviously a risk no matter who coaches the team, but at least let a new coach have a training camp. What are we gonna do? Give GB 10 games and replace him with an interim solution?? That's just a recipe for disaster.

The best candidates are available in the off-season and the new coach can come in and establish his own systems, if there is even a discussion at the management level of a coach being tuned out, GB's gotta be axed.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The Sens attendance didn't take a hit when they announced that they will rebuild in 2011 and give the young players more opportunity, if anything it created more fan buzz around the team.
It would be tougher this time since it would also likely lead to Karlsson being gone but it could fly like it did then, just pointing out that its not the zero risk situation the Rangers are blessed with.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It would be tougher this time since it would also likely lead to Karlsson being gone but it could fly like it did then, just pointing out that its not the zero risk situation the Rangers are blessed with.

Well, the risk the Sens are taking by not saying anything at all is probably worse.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well, the risk the Sens are taking by not saying anything at all is probably worse.

Teams don't normally do things like the Rangers just did so that's the exception not the rule. Besides, Dorion did say something heading in to the break. He was giving them one more chance to show something or they would be proceeding with the plan of being sellers. The team then laid an egg by losing the next 6, now we know they will be sellers and the deadline is right around the corner. The picture will be more clear after that day and I'm sure we'll hear more about it and any moves that were made.

If they are rebuilding, coming out and doing what the Ranger just did would probably be a death knell for re-signing Karlsson.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If this is even a thought, he shouldn't even be given the start of next season. Why even take the risk that this "could" happen? Its obviously a risk no matter who coaches the team, but at least let a new coach have a training camp. What are we gonna do? Give GB 10 games and replace him with an interim solution?? That's just a recipe for disaster.

The best candidates are available in the off-season and the new coach can come in and establish his own systems, if there is even a discussion at the management level of a coach being tuned out, GB's gotta be axed.
I just think that variables like Karlsson starting behind the 8 ball, Anderson having a bad start, players underperforming, etc...should be taken into account.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Can’t believe Melnyk extended this clown. The players don’t even respect him, I wonder what his fellow GM’s think of him. They most love it when they get a call from him.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Can’t believe Melnyk extended this clown. The players don’t even respect him, I wonder what his fellow GM’s think of him. They most love it when they get a call from him.

Melnyk wants a GM that he can tell what to do. That's why he extended him. I really doubt Dorion wants to trade EK. What do other GMs think of him? I'm willing to bet they feel sorry for him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Dorion's good moves as GM:

- Hiring Guy Boucher and Marc Crawford
- 4-year contract extension for Hoffman
- Stalberg for a 3rd round pick
- Acquisition of and then new 3-year contract for Mike Condon
- Bringing Tom Pyatt over from Europe
- Tommy Wingels for two AHL scrubs and a 7th round pick
- Signing Chris Kelly (played all 82 games and was a reasonable stop-gap as a 4th line center)

Dorion's still-to-be-determined moves as GM:

- Zibanejad plus a 2nd round pick for Brassard plus a 5th round pick
- Trading up to draft Logan Brown in 2016
- 4-year contract extension for Zach Smith
- Trading Lazar for a scrub and a 2nd round pick (used on Alex Formenton)
- Burning year one of ELC for Colin White with late season call-up and one playoff game

Dorion's bad moves as GM:

- Dahlen for Burrows
- Loss of Methot in the expansion draft for nothing

The Loss of Methot was unavoidable, as Most teams "lost" players for nothing, and some gave the VGK something to not select a player they did not want to lose, but could not protect.

Dorion did not want to lose Methot, but he also could not protect Methot, mainly because he was forced to protect Phaneuf.

To Dorion's credit, it was reported that he did try to get Methot back from the VGK, but their price was too high.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The Loss of Methot was unavoidable, as Most teams "lost" players for nothing, and some gave the VGK something to not select a player they did not want to lose, but could not protect.

Dorion did not want to lose Methot, but he also could not protect Methot, mainly because he was forced to protect Phaneuf.

To Dorion's credit, it was reported that he did try to get Methot back from the VGK, but their price was too high.

He could have protected Methot by going 4 and 4, by exposing or trading Ceci, so yes, there were options. The 4 and 4 route would have meant exposing one of Brassard or Pageau, so it's a question of who is more valuable to the team. There's also the option that many other teams took; pass along picks to get LV to select someone else.

Methot ended up getting traded for a 2nd round pick and a warm body prospect, so the idea that the price was too high to re-acquire him seems to hinge on the premise that Vegas was asking more from Ottawa than it would accept from others. There's no evidence to suggest that is the case. It's possible that LV overestimated his value when negotiating a protection scheme with us to have them select someone else though.

The simplest explanation is that Dorion felt that he could do more with the salary/cap that losing Methot opened up than he could by retaining Methot when considering what he would have given up to protect Methot. From the outside, this situation has very much the look of a budget influenced move, which is fine but you got to own it for what it was, not claim there were no other options.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Teams don't normally do things like the Rangers just did so that's the exception not the rule. Besides, Dorion did say something heading in to the break. He was giving them one more chance to show something or they would be proceeding with the plan of being sellers. The team then laid an egg by losing the next 6, now we know they will be sellers and the deadline is right around the corner. The picture will be more clear after that day and I'm sure we'll hear more about it and any moves that were made.

If they are rebuilding, coming out and doing what the Ranger just did would probably be a death knell for re-signing Karlsson.

I have a feeling it will become the rule pretty soon. Social media and the advent of so many common folks developing big followings (and clout) and the organization/power that comes with it means that companies have to be more responsive to their customers.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The simplest explanation is that Dorion felt that he could do more with the salary/cap that losing Methot opened up than he could by retaining Methot when considering what he would have given up to protect Methot.

I think he also assumed, like many of us, that our young defencemen would step up and actually contribute something to the team - that we had better defensive pieces who were NHL ready in the org to cope with the loss of a defenceman like Methot than we did NHL ready centers to replace a top-6 center like Brassard.

Looking at you, Claesson/Harpur. Don't look at me like that, you both know what you did.

Reactions: pzeeman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad