TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Wally/Methot
Warren and his podcast

TSN with its layoffs and downsizing, seems to be accelerating the amount of alternative sports show sources..which will inevitably accelerate their demise.

Fire a hair stylist, she opens her own home salon and takes some of your clients!!!!!

I don't know if TSN/Bell media realizes that smart phones and apps are now everywhere. Including cars. If under 40, your radio is your cell phone or car electronics.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
The TSN 1200 tweet about Methot joining seems kinda strange now? This new podcast should be great.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I don't know if TSN/Bell media realizes that smart phones and apps are now everywhere. Including cars. If under 40, your radio is your cell phone or car electronics.

Considering that Bell makes enormous profits selling phones and plans, and struggles to make a profit across the AM and FM dial in a variety of programming formats, I think they are aware of these trends.

Reactions: cudi

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Good God Gord. Just defended Gudbranson staying on to start PK...Steve Lloyd is pushing back saying if PP1 guys were on the ice, and then a penalty is drawn, the PP2 will start. Defended Haley as Stutzle had an "easy" night. Here comes Creech bringing up accountability. Oh God this segment looks bad on Gord.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Good God Gord. Just defended Gudbranson staying on to start PK...Steve Lloyd is pushing back saying if PP1 guys were on the ice, and then a penalty is drawn, the PP2 will start. Defended Haley as Stutzle had an "easy" night. Here comes Creech bringing up accountability. Oh God this segment looks bad on Gord.

I happened to randomly tune into this segment as well and I thought to myself boy oh boy don't spill the water Gord...when he mentioned Tierney on the draw I lol'd, I don't like to slag on people to much so I will say with Dean and Gord, im impartial at best and at worst am not a fan, id love a younger fresher more modern look at the team personally with less personal unfunny stuff, that would have me tuning in. AJ and Creech are the guys I generally tune into listen too the most, Simmer is good as well and makes me laugh.

Will check it this new pod with Meth and Wally, I assume now that none have ties to the org or any of its friends that we may get some actual serious critical analysis from professionals, which would be nice!

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Considering that Bell makes enormous profits selling phones and plans, and struggles to make a profit across the AM and FM dial in a variety of programming formats, I think they are aware of these trends.
so who cares if one kills the other?

It allows them to back out of AM/FM and profit from podcasts...damn clever. A slow 10 year phase out...You have been saying that for a while.

so why hire Methot, or keep Wally. It makes more sense to have them do their own Pod cast. F'ng clever.

will TV survive?

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Gord may not be good on Pod Casts

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
so who cares if one kills the other?

It allows them to back out of AM/FM and profit from podcasts...damn clever. A slow 10 year phase out...You have been saying that for a while.

so why hire Methot, or keep Wally. It makes more sense to have them do their own Pod cast. F'ng clever.

will TV survive?

I really don’t understand your point.

You know Bell has podcasts right? Ray and Dregs? Real sponsors, monetized, the whole deal. Hiring Wally and Methot because they likely have a few thousand monthly in sponsors lined up?

The revenue from a local podcast is of no appeal to a company the size of Bell.

Radio is in decline and Bell and Rogers aren’t going to fight it by throwing good money after bad.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I really don’t understand your point.

You know Bell has podcasts right? Ray and Dregs? Real sponsors, monetized, the whole deal. Hiring Wally and Methot because they likely have a few thousand monthly in sponsors lined up?

The revenue from a local podcast is of no appeal to a company the size of Bell.

Radio is in decline and Bell and Rogers aren’t going to fight it by throwing good money after bad.
you've actually answered it. And you are right, you misunderstood. I actually agreed with you and saw it as you explained..

They do not have to pay production costs. You still will log into podcasts on their networks. So monthly plans and upgrades to phones..all the while, no downtown offices to maintain and no costs in general. Pay your $200/month and your $1000 for an Iphone10 and tune in. The "who cares if one kills the other" is: they don't care if podcasts kills radio. Poor English on my part..in fact, they may prefer it.

More people on their phones, greater temptations to send texts at a $1 a text. And whatever other revenue scheme that may be available..pop up ads, etc. small, next to the $200/month...but with minor production cost, it becomes pure profit.

Reactions: Tighthead

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
you've actually answered it. And you are right, you misunderstood. I actually agreed with you and saw it as you explained..

They do not have to pay production costs. You still will log into podcasts on their networks. So monthly plans and upgrades to phones..all the while, no downtown offices to maintain and no costs in general. Pay your $200/month and your $1000 for an Iphone10 and tune in. The "who cares if one kills the other" is: they don't care if podcasts kills radio. Poor English on my part..in fact, they may prefer it.

More people on their phones, greater temptations to send texts at a $1 a text. And whatever other revenue scheme that may be available..pop up ads, etc. small, next to the $200/month...but with minor production cost, it becomes pure profit.

I suspect Bell and Rogers would gladly power down every AM station they own tomorrow. Once a conglomerate decides something doesn’t fit their business model, they’d just as soon shutter it immediately.

Rogers isn’t doing radio broadcasts for the Jays this year - just doing a simulcast from TV.

Podcasting isn’t regulated, and it seems like without CRTC protections, Canadian podcasts have struggled to really catch on. Ray and Dregs is steady, I think people like Canadaland. I’ve listened to a few CBC ones, but I think many have failed and a few have made it.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
I suspect Bell and Rogers would gladly power down every AM station they own tomorrow. Once a conglomerate decides something doesn’t fit their business model, they’d just as soon shutter it immediately.

Rogers isn’t doing radio broadcasts for the Jays this year - just doing a simulcast from TV.

Podcasting isn’t regulated, and it seems like without CRTC protections, Canadian podcasts have struggled to really catch on. Ray and Dregs is steady, I think people like Canadaland. I’ve listened to a few CBC ones, but I think many have failed and a few have made it.
so if you are: Al's Steak house. Who do you advertise with? Now, a bell media sales person approaches you, or you them and you advertise as needed/wanted. What happens in 10 years?

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
so if you are: Al's Steak house. Who do you advertise with? Now, a bell media sales person approaches you, or you them and you advertise as needed/wanted. What happens in 10 years?

Local advertising in 10 years will be very interesting. There will still be some radio, but the demographics will skew old.

Facebook pop ups are a thing now, I suspect businesses will want to connect will local Instagram influencers maybe? I’ve got two teenagers and I know in 10 years they won’t be listening to radio.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I happened to randomly tune into this segment as well and I thought to myself boy oh boy don't spill the water Gord...when he mentioned Tierney on the draw I lol'd, I don't like to slag on people to much so I will say with Dean and Gord, im impartial at best and at worst am not a fan, id love a younger fresher more modern look at the team personally with less personal unfunny stuff, that would have me tuning in. AJ and Creech are the guys I generally tune into listen too the most, Simmer is good as well and makes me laugh.

Will check it this new pod with Meth and Wally, I assume now that none have ties to the org or any of its friends that we may get some actual serious critical analysis from professionals, which would be nice!

Agreed, not a fan of Dean and Gord.

Wally and Meth will be a good combo I think, Methot will bring up good insight.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Meth and Lloyd doing a great job - for a hard rock fan Marc Methot is easy listening

Reactions: Yak

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Should hire him for defence player development, to work with Donovan and Winchester.

Been saying this forever now.

Ottawa has so many players in their backyard that they should be using whether its to promote the team or work for the team, and so far they haven't tapped into that very well.

Give me Alfie as the skills coach. playing keep away from the rookies or better yet an advisor like he used be.
Methot as the Dman development coach.
Chris Kelly left for some reasons unknown (we could all guess what that was)
Sergei Gonchar is also available and has experience as an assistant coach and a development coach.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Sergei Gonchar is also available and has experience as an assistant coach and a development coach.

Is Gonchar still living in the Ottawa area?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Meth and Lloyd doing a great job - for a hard rock fan Marc Methot is easy listening
I’m not a fan necessarily of Lloyd but he and Methot were great together. Good listen. Where do you get the Wally and Methot podcast ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad