TSN: The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Some people are so deep down the conspiracy rabbit hole they can’t believe facts. I am glad you are getting the opportunity to follow another passion. I for one always figured you would be great as a writer after reading your pieces on TSN.ca. Keep up the great work and don’t be a stranger to this cesspool of conspiracy and negativity!!!!!!
What are you talking about conspiracy's for? A dying industry that keeps purging their best talent seemingly on a yearly basis over money would lead any intelligent person to the conclusion that maybe they shouldn't put that down payment on that ski chalet in the Alps just yet. There was a time when you worked for the media monopolies in Canada that being good at your job meant a promotion a la Scott MacArthur, Gary Galley, or even Jason York.

The things speculated here are not of some grand conspiracy. It really has more to due with the industry and how it's run. Not once has someone left their job in such coincidental fashion.

Everyone has opinions that at the end of the day don't really matter, like talking about the Sens. He's somewhere now where he gets to continue the dream.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Or maybe, y’all could listen to me....

I’ve said it in my Athletic columns, I’ll say it again here: I figured I had ONE shot to be a full-time writer and I took it. I did TV. Did radio. Wanted to compete the hat trick and this was a great chance for me. I would regret turning it down. If the pandemic taught me anything, it’s to seize opportunity when it arises. You have no idea what the future holds.

Also, if there was ANY bitterness/awkwardness between me and TSN 1200, would I still be a regular guest every week on The Drive? I’m not sure any radio host has ever left his job and then had the chance to come back as a regular guest. I think it speaks volumes about my departure - that it was done without malice or anger. You think if they forced me out, I would come back on the station and pump their tires? NO WAY.

I do appreciate the various theories being thrown out there. Now I know how Dany Heatley felt! ;-)

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. There seems to be some confusion. I don't think they forced you out, I think you saw it was a better move for your career to pivot to a different job. An opportunity came up and you decided now was a good time to move to something else. I theorized about WHY you may have decided now was a good time to pivot and part of my theory is that you saw the direction things were going for TSN radio stations. Both what you wrote in your post and what I wrote in my post can be true (i.e. you really wanted to be a full-time writer, and you also saw the downward trend of traditional sports radio).

I also don't think there was any bitterness or awkwardness or malice or anger on anyone's part, just to be clear. I'm sure they were very sorry to see you go, you had carried the station for years (IMO).

Reactions: Tighthead

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Or maybe, y’all could listen to me....

I’ve said it in my Athletic columns, I’ll say it again here: I figured I had ONE shot to be a full-time writer and I took it. I did TV. Did radio. Wanted to compete the hat trick and this was a great chance for me. I would regret turning it down. If the pandemic taught me anything, it’s to seize opportunity when it arises. You have no idea what the future holds.

Also, if there was ANY bitterness/awkwardness between me and TSN 1200, would I still be a regular guest every week on The Drive? I’m not sure any radio host has ever left his job and then had the chance to come back as a regular guest. I think it speaks volumes about my departure - that it was done without malice or anger. You think if they forced me out, I would come back on the station and pump their tires? NO WAY.

I do appreciate the various theories being thrown out there. Now I know how Dany Heatley felt! ;-)

I doubt you guys will ever tell us the real reason Heatley wanted out. Its probably boring anyway. Personally I always liked the theory that it was because he slept with Jason Spezza's soon to be wife. Just more so much more juicy than him not liking the coach or something.

Anyway glad to see you posting here still, Ian. Keep up da good work, and congrats on living the dream!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Hi Ian, thanks for the reply. There seems to be some confusion. I don't think they forced you out, I think you saw it was a better move for your career to pivot to a different job. An opportunity came up and you decided now was a good time to move to something else. I theorized about WHY you may have decided now was a good time to pivot and part of my theory is that you saw the direction things were going for TSN radio stations. Both what you wrote in your post and what I wrote in my post can be true (i.e. you really wanted to be a full-time writer, and you also saw the downward trend of traditional sports radio).

I also don't think there was any bitterness or awkwardness or malice or anger on anyone's part, just to be clear. I'm sure they were very sorry to see you go, you had carried the station for years (IMO).

I don't know why people care so much

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Can we put this to bed?

It began with Bert questioning Lloyd's kid gloves in dealing with the Sens. I offered an opinion on why..In there was a line. "beheading of colleagues"..and I referenced Mendes and Wallace. The post and the 1 or 2 after were about a neutered local sport's media. One had "bush league", the other had "Bury you", both are gone. That became the basis of my comment.

And as with the 1 million other topics on here...the debate morphs into other subjects and as with other aspects of society, we start debating tangent points. And by the time it ends, we start talking about oranges and end up discussing, not just apples, but apple computers.

I believe Ian when he says he was not pushed out... I RETRACT MY LINE. I wish Ian luck in his endeavors. I urge all of you to subscribe to the Athletic. Your $64/year will ensure a free media.

Reactions: GCK and God Says No

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This is obviously not specific to Ian as he has told us specifically that it wasn't his experience but many at Bell knew for months that a "restructuring" was coming which included a substantial reduction of employees. There's no conspiracies at play, just straight up financial motivation.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Bsens coach Troy Mann coming up in about 15, 20 mins
Game tomorrow

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I understand it's radio, people want to project their voice, lots of listeners are in their cars, but WHY DOES EVERY COMMERCIAL HAVE TO BE YELLED AT MEEEEEEEEE??!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kanata Ford is the worst. Guy just sounds like a greasy used car salesman. Can't annunciate worth shit either.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I quite like the dyslexic commercials, it has made its mark. I just like the vocabulary!

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Thursday he's on, but has no interest in a full time gig.
Should be good I miss former actual players like White and York. . Hopefully, he isn't a mooch like other host who use the radio and social to big for freebies. Guessing a discount car is coming for a not to be named

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Should be good I miss former actual players like White and York. . Hopefully, he isn't a mooch like other host who use the radio and social to big for freebies. Guessing a discount car is coming for a not to be named

Reactions: GCK

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You've shown us all why Simmer probably doesn't like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad