The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jack Todd is in the Ken Burns Vietnam documentary on Netflix, he has a pretty big roll for the draft dodging part. Spoiler alert - he says at the end ‘Canada is a great country and all and I like it, but in my heart, I’m an American’ - and it sort of summed up his prickly relationship with fans. Happy to be a reporter for the Habs, sure, good time living in Montreal, hard not to - would rather of been a basketball reporter in Miami and worked in the USA - definitely.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
lol chezzz with the personal call-out by ian today when talking about differing opinions on social media and why you shouldn't let them get to you as a professional.

for the record, ian, i'm a long time listener and think you do an absolute bang-up job with your material and delivery. hands down the most down-to-earth and respectable dudes on the station. leever, on the other hand... also, if you're taking suggestions please never let brennan on the air again. that dude is an automatic station-change for me when his blowhard voice chokes the intelligence out of my car.

I guess I have made an impact :huh:, but maybe just follow your own advice, HFBoards is an unhealthy place Ian. Also, my last negative comment about the Drive was when Lee Versage accused Tiger Woods of doping, which is something that he should be absolutely roasted for and that was like 3 weeks ago. I have made a concentrated effort to stay away from this thread and the radio station, but if I am still a thorn in his side, then whatever I guess.

Love how I get ripped here for calling out a bad radio station, but head on over to any other thread in here and we are calling out players and management left and right, including personal attacks, but I should have known that radio hosts are off limits and not allowed to be criticized for a sub par product.

All I ask for is a sports radio station that the city of Ottawa can be proud of, I can't imagine that people enjoy full segments on perogi eating championships, but it appears as though I am wrong and its exactly what sports junkies in this city want.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
If only Ian paid more attention to the hack staff that are on his station (Brennan, Lee Versage) that say outlandish undocumented shit than the posters on a message board that he apparently hates. Only then would the quality of the station would improve.

Reactions: Inkling and Chezzz

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
If theres on thing Sens fans can agree on, it’s that Don Brennan sucks.
We finally agree on something. Its an automatic station change for me when he is on.

Im pretty much there with Versage as well.

I dont listem to TGOR often so I wont comment on that group. I am a pretty big fan of everyone else.

I do believe that Ian is the most in touch with the city and fan base. He is a true professional you can tell in his segments that he prepares for the show. Its great that he has been taking calls, the fans need some sort of voice right now.

Simmer is a good guy and brings a lighter element, he can go off on the odd tangent here and there but he is a true hockey guy. He gives an honest executives opinion on players. You may not agree but with him but the circles he runs in are connected. I enjoy most of his stories... The first time.

My absolute favorite is when A.J and Steve Lloyd are on together. Both are true sports guys that can talk about just about anything. Love when A.J gets fired up and really appreciate not only his soccer and CFL knowledge but he delivers it in a way thats easy to follow and understand.

Lloyd knows how to get the best out of whoever he hosts with. Its a true talent, he can also discuss sports like a fan he's very relatable. If he's on im listening, he even manages to handle Versage.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Ian's a smart guy, I'm sure he's well aware that 90% (probably more) of the criticism around here isn't directed towards him (or by extension The Drive).

I'm glad he takes the fans/listeners thoughts seriously and I really think some of the other hosts on the station could learn a thing or two about the way Ian runs his show.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Before all this #MelnykOut stuff started I would have 100% agreed with you. Guy is the the leader of the resistance in the media now though :laugh:

Honestly, I was listening to about 20 minutes of TGOR one morning where it was just Warne and Brennan and I was ready for the tire fire, instead I was pleasantly surprised that Brennan seemed to be able to get Warne to stop defending everything the team did and they had a nice frank discussion about the state of the organization.

I'm sure the show went off the rails at some point, but credit where credit is due to two guys I normally don't like (or REALLY don't like in the case of Warne).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I damned near drive off the road laughing when Brennan is on the radio. The old guy tries so damned hard to sound tough, and fails miserably. It's hysterical.

Reactions: branch

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
If only Ian paid more attention to the hack staff that are on his station (Brennan, Lee Versage) that say outlandish undocumented **** than the posters on a message board that he apparently hates. Only then would the quality of the station would improve.

Only an idiot, or someone independently wealthy, would publicly rip on his colleagues at work.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Sorry, Ian but I lost a little repect for you today after listening to all your little digs at Lee. You are supposed to bring Simmer up to your level of professonism not go down to his level of treating people like they are just his little minons.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Don Beennan and Lee Versage are insufferable. I honestly can't believe these guys are anywhere near sports radio.

This morning:

"Which of the young guys will have the biggest impact on the Sens this year?"

Brennan: "Logan Brown."

"Why's that?"

Brennan: "... well I don't know. Because the Sens biggest need is a centre, and he's a centre."

Does this guy even know anything about hockey?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Mendes has been a guy I always intently listen to, for his opinions and his knowledge with regards to the Sens. He's the only guy I'd go out of the way to listen to, and respect his opinion regardless if I agree or not. Living on the other side of the country you don't get as much Sens content, but I do always love listening to Ian when I can.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Was listening to TSN690 the past few weeks and have noticed that they seem to have someone on almost daily to discuss the NFL since the preseason began.

Still blows my mind that the only NFL football talk we get on TSN1200 is about Versage's Cowboys, JR's Eagles, Warne's Packers, Bunda's Bucs and Whitey and Simmer's Patriots. With hockey talk seemingly on hold, why not have a few NFL Insiders (not Duke Ellingson) to discuss the most popular sport on the planet?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Sorry, Ian but I lost a little repect for you today after listening to all your little digs at Lee. You are supposed to bring Simmer up to your level of professonism not go down to his level of treating people like they are just his little minons.
Lee Versage is terrible.

Reactions: bert

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
Was listening to TSN690 the past few weeks and have noticed that they seem to have someone on almost daily to discuss the NFL since the preseason began.

Still blows my mind that the only NFL football talk we get on TSN1200 is about Versage's Cowboys, JR's Eagles, Warne's Packers, Bunda's Bucs and Whitey and Simmer's Patriots. With hockey talk seemingly on hold, why not have a few NFL Insiders (not Duke Ellingson) to discuss the most popular sport on the planet?

umm which planet is NFL the most popular, because it isn't earth.

If you want NFL talk listen to an american station and get ONLY that

Reactions: coladin

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

'Most popular' is hyperbole, but there would absolutely be an audience for NFL talk. I would think the team at TSN agrees, otherwise they wouldn't broadcast some games through Westwood One in-season.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Fine, most popular sport in North America. The point still stands, the non-NHL/CFL coverage on the station is embarrassing. I get that the "local coverage" will always be king in this market but to not have more NFL/MLB talk going on right now is crazy considering it's (pretty much) the only thing going on in the sports world right now.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

So what you are saying is that Steve Warne Lawn talk or AJ Perogi eating stories are better than covering the most popular sport in North America?

All that I am asking for is maybe one segment per day, heck even one per week would be better than what they have now. It really isn't too much to ask.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Does The Team have any segments for fantasy football or hockey? I'd think there would be an audience, even for 30 minutes a week or something, for that kind of stuff throughout the year. I have Fantsy XM or whatever the Sirius station is on every Sunday when driving on the highway, I love that stuff.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
So what you are saying is that Steve Warne Lawn talk or AJ Perogi eating stories are better than covering the most popular sport in North America?

All that I am asking for is maybe one segment per day, heck even one per week would be better than what they have now. It really isn't too much to ask.
AJ gets a pass, he's not the issue here. If he tells a perogi story, who cares. He's one of the most knowledgeable guys on the station and is generally quite good at conveying his opinions.

Reactions: coladin

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
AJ gets a pass, he's not the issue here. If he tells a perogi story, who cares. He's one of the most knowledgeable guys on the station and is generally quite good at conveying his opinions.

I know every gets really quick to call me out on anything I post in here, but I am actually bringing up a topic that should be addressed. I am not calling out AJ here, or even Syeve Warne for that matter. The point I am trying to make is that instead of having filler segments, like an AJ perogi update, lets get an actual NFL insider on the radio. Shouldn't be all that hard.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On

I dont live in Ottawa (or near it) so I only tune in via the web when something big has happened (because none of the stations near me will cover it and I would be lucky if Siriusxm NHL covered it more than 2 mins )

I live near Windsor, and listening to the US sports stations is pretty much always NFL talk.. gets boring really quick, especially since I dont follow the NFL

I would rather a station be rounded (NHL, MLB, Soccer, NFL, etc)

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I dont live in Ottawa (or near it) so I only tune in via the web when something big has happened (because none of the stations near me will cover it and I would be lucky if Siriusxm NHL covered it more than 2 mins )

I live near Windsor, and listening to the US sports stations is pretty much always NFL talk.. gets boring really quick, especially since I dont follow the NFL

I would rather a station be rounded (NHL, MLB, Soccer, NFL, etc)

That's kind of the point though, TSN1200 isn't well rounded at all.

It's 90% NHL/CFL/stories about the hosts lawn and then the NFL/MLB/NBA/Soccer get largely ignored unless something huge happens (World Cup, Blue Jays run with Price a few years ago, ect).

I absolutely understand the need to cover the local teams. I just, personally, get frustrated when they force the debate or go off-topic for long stretches when there are other sports to discuss.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh,radio has to cater to more than just us hockeyheads...So while the show maybe dull or uninteresting while they are talking about a sport I have no interest in,doesnt mean the content is bad..

The radio hosts also have to cater to a broad spectrum of personalities...So while you may not like a host, somebody else just might...No real need to bash someone just because he isnt what you like ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad