The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Lee Versage just accused Tiger Woods of doping...yes, I changed the channel.

Versage is such an idiot. I'm honestly getting to the point where I can't listen to him anymore. When he's on the drive with Mendes he makes it completely insufferable.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
According to Versage, all this was because of doping.

He jumps to a conclusion, and then any arguments that may be made to disprove his opinion, he simply just fills in the gaps tin order to get to his conclusion.

"Knee and back issues around 2008? Well I believe he doped, so the injuries must have been because of the doping."

It's exactly how you're not supposed to critically think about a topic.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
He jumps to a conclusion, and then any arguments that may be made to disprove his opinion, he simply just fills in the gaps tin order to get to his conclusion.

"Knee and back issues around 2008? Well I believe he doped, so the injuries must have been because of the doping."

It's exactly how you're not supposed to critically think about a topic.

This is exactly what happened. Lee had been doing his usual "I hate Tiger rant", then they took a caller who immediately called out Versage and backed Versage into a corner where he pulled out the doping claim, which quickly shut the caller and AJ up because no one knew how to react.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I wonder if Dean and Gord are looking over their shoulder given the recent happenings in Carolina and the ousting of Chuck Kaiton? The Canes owner seems to be a bit of a Melnyk-South. The difference that might help their cause is that in the case of the Canes, my understanding is that both the radio and TV guys were employees of the hockey team. In the Sens' case, the TV is done by the national TSN guys. I don't know how radio is structured today, but I thought that Dean and Gord were employees of the Sens in the past. Although I have my quibbles with Dean and Gord, they've been with the team long enough that they should hopefully be able to go out on their own terms. I still listen on the radio fairly frequently and I don't think the listeners are best served by a simulcast.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I wonder if Dean and Gord are looking over their shoulder given the recent happenings in Carolina and the ousting of Chuck Kaiton? The Canes owner seems to be a bit of a Melnyk-South. The difference that might help their cause is that in the case of the Canes, my understanding is that both the radio and TV guys were employees of the hockey team. In the Sens' case, the TV is done by the national TSN guys. I don't know how radio is structured today, but I thought that Dean and Gord were employees of the Sens in the past. Although I have my quibbles with Dean and Gord, they've been with the team long enough that they should hopefully be able to go out on their own terms. I still listen on the radio fairly frequently and I don't think the listeners are best served by a simulcast.
TSN has it's own TV guys. Dean and Gord primarily do radio now. I've heard Dean do some other National games once and a while though.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Although I have my quibbles with Dean and Gord, they've been with the team long enough that they should hopefully be able to go out on their own terms

When I think of Ottawa Senators hockey, I immediately remember being a 12 year old kid listening to Dean and Gord call games on my clock radio before I went to bed, such great memories. However, you gotta admit, the quality of their work has really taken a sharp decline, while their egos have continued to grow. I am also pretty sure that they demand quite the pay check.

While I do somewhat agree with what you said, change is also necessary at a certain point. Do we let Dean and Gord call well into their 80s like CBC has done with Bob Cole until their egos decide they have had enough? At some point the torch needs to be passed. There are plenty of up and coming play by play guys who will focus 100% of their attention to whats happening on the ice and not drift and talk about something other than the game while the play is happening, and these young guys probably cost a fraction of what Deano and Goodie demand.

Dean and Gord are already waaaaay too comfortable in their jobs, maybe a little humble pie like this guy in Carolina getting axed is good for them, make them realize that they aren't the most untouchable duo in the organization.

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
When I think of Ottawa Senators hockey, I immediately remember being a 12 year old kid listening to Dean and Gord call games on my clock radio before I went to bed, such great memories. However, you gotta admit, the quality of their work has really taken a sharp decline, while their egos have continued to grow. I am also pretty sure that they demand quite the pay check.

While I do somewhat agree with what you said, change is also necessary at a certain point. Do we let Dean and Gord call well into their 80s like CBC has done with Bob Cole until their egos decide they have had enough? At some point the torch needs to be passed. There are plenty of up and coming play by play guys who will focus 100% of their attention to whats happening on the ice and not drift and talk about something other than the game while the play is happening, and these young guys probably cost a fraction of what Deano and Goodie demand.

Dean and Gord are already waaaaay too comfortable in their jobs, maybe a little humble pie like this guy in Carolina getting axed is good for them, make them realize that they aren't the most untouchable duo in the organization.

Personally, I could easily do without Dean and his ego. I can see him becoming a wanna be Cherry.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I like Dean but I think I’m in the minority.

I don't really think you are in the minority, I really enjoyed Dean and Gord a few years back before their egos got the better of them. When they actually stick to calling the game, they are great, but far too often, they veer off into their own world and talk about nothing now during the play. Dean makes up these crazy stories about milking cows in rural Alberta and goes on and on for like half of the period, often missing the action on the ice.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I like Dean but I think I’m in the minority.

I'm happy he's on the radio now because I think he calls a good game and I listen to a lot of games or parts of games on the radio, but I could do without the bad jokes

But I still think Bob Cole calls the best game followed by Gord Miller

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Did anyone catch what Karlsson said to Chris Stevenson yesterday?

JR mentioned they would get to it a few times, but I had to turn the radio off before they did.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

JR mentioned they would get to it a few times, but I had to turn the radio off before they did.

Apparently he had mentioned how Karlsson had led the team in scoring 6 times in a row and EK said something about making it 7.

Cue the hopeless romantics.

Reactions: Smash88

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

From The Athletic:

When it was pointed out he still had 62 points (he tied forward Mark Stone for the team lead and became the first defenceman in NHL history to lead his team in scoring five seasons in a row), Karlsson replied with a smile: “Hopefully I can break that this year.”

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
(Snip)

Brownilson (as we call them over here, since they are identical in their opinions) leaving would be one of the best things TSN1200 could do.
They are comfortable to the point of arrogance, and though media in general is a very, very safe place to work (when was the last time a radio or print guy was replaced?), it would be nice to have some fresh voices, especially voices with dissenting opinions, or opinions based on actual data.

Instead, we get:
"Well, you know Steve, analytics...you know analytics, you can have all the numbers you want but in the end it's a player's heart and will that matter. Cody Ceci is a shut-down defenceman (produces no supporting data, ignores data belying this) and he's a great guy in the community. Just the other day he was at the mini-putt and he let other people in front of him. A guy like Brad Marchand or Mitch Marner or Max Pacioretty would never do that. Why? They're not from Orleans. And speaking of Orleans, I saw Mrs. Foiegras in row 15 at the Hurricanes game the other day..."

I could actually live with it if they just separated Dean from Gord for play by play though. That would improve broadcast quality a ton and keep the game broadcasts about the game. Crazy I know, calling the game instead of making up imaginary stuff as you go along...

Reactions: Chezzz

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
From The Athletic:

Unfortunately this would still be obtainable if he was traded as per the direct quote, im unaware if there was other context that would make it specifically Sens related.

The entire media profession be it, tv, radio or any online platform needs a massive youth injection, tired of hearing from the old boys club boomer generation that are so wrapped up in nostalgia and how great things were back in the day...etc that they fail to realize the many real world problems these days because they don't have to deal with them and aren't really engaged in reality.

Amazing nobody has called out that generation who had their cake and ate it too, got all the benefits of past generations yet took advantage greatly of all future generations, my fav is now how they make fun of younger folks who are trying to correct all their massive wrong's and make fun of them for doing it and have attempted to associate a negative term with a massive group in calling us "millennials"

end of rant!

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Brownilson (as we call them over here, since they are identical in their opinions) leaving would be one of the best things TSN1200 could do.
They are comfortable to the point of arrogance, and though media in general is a very, very safe place to work (when was the last time a radio or print guy was replaced?), it would be nice to have some fresh voices, especially voices with dissenting opinions, or opinions based on actual data.

Instead, we get:
"Well, you know Steve, analytics...you know analytics, you can have all the numbers you want but in the end it's a player's heart and will that matter. Cody Ceci is a shut-down defenceman (produces no supporting data, ignores data belying this) and he's a great guy in the community. Just the other day he was at the mini-putt and he let other people in front of him. A guy like Brad Marchand or Mitch Marner or Max Pacioretty would never do that. Why? They're not from Orleans. And speaking of Orleans, I saw Mrs. Foiegras in row 15 at the Hurricanes game the other day..."

I could actually live with it if they just separated Dean from Gord for play by play though. That would improve broadcast quality a ton and keep the game broadcasts about the game. Crazy I know, calling the game instead of making up imaginary stuff as you go along...
I agree with you. Comfortable to the point of arrogance is a great way to describe it. Apart, they are very good at their jobs IMO. I think Dean drags Gord into his shenanigans a lot. The sarcasm and randomly made up stories about the backgrounds of opposition players is absolutely appalling and unprofessional; I hate listening to them call games now. Once in a while is fine and funny, but not every 3 minutes.

It's to the point where they start a View From the Broadcast Booth segment and I'm just waiting to cringe at whatever non-funny sarcastic remark Dean is going to make. It's like he doesn't take his job seriously anymore.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I agree with you. Comfortable to the point of arrogance is a great way to describe it. Apart, they are very good at their jobs IMO. I think Dean drags Gord into his shenanigans a lot. The sarcasm and randomly made up stories about the backgrounds of opposition players is absolutely appalling and unprofessional; I hate listening to them call games now. Once in a while is fine and funny, but not every 3 minutes.

It's to the point where they start a View From the Broadcast Booth segment and I'm just waiting to cringe at whatever non-funny sarcastic remark Dean is going to make. It's like he doesn't take his job seriously anymore.

This is why allowing these guys to "leave on their own terms" is not the right way to go about this. Why does Dean Brown get to dictate when he gets to leave? We are in the business of professional sports, everyone employed in this industry should constantly be looking over their shoulders. Heck franchises aren't even loyal to their superstar players anymore, so why should the play by play guys get special treatment? This isn't the voice of a local Junior team or a semi pro baseball team, this is the big leagues. You gotta be the best you can be at all times and both Dean and Gord haven't been for a few years now.

The fact that Dean Brown thought the voice of the Hurricanes getting let go was "just awful", per his tweet, should be a wake up call for the two of them, especially with younger guys who are just as capable (AJ Jacubek) waiting to step in and most likely a lower pirce tag.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Brown has always been sarcastic and arrogant.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Comfortable to the point of arrogance is a brilliant description. You'd think that getting shunted to the side on the TV side of things would have been a wakeup call, but these two have fallen so in love with the sound of their voices that they have deluded themselves into believing their opinion/anecdotes/failed attempts at humor are what he listeners crave.

Call the game and save your stupidity for the pre game and intermissions.

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Unfortunately this would still be obtainable if he was traded as per the direct quote, im unaware if there was other context that would make it specifically Sens related.

The entire media profession be it, tv, radio or any online platform needs a massive youth injection, tired of hearing from the old boys club boomer generation that are so wrapped up in nostalgia and how great things were back in the day...etc that they fail to realize the many real world problems these days because they don't have to deal with them and aren't really engaged in reality.

Amazing nobody has called out that generation who had their cake and ate it too, got all the benefits of past generations yet took advantage greatly of all future generations, my fav is now how they make fun of younger folks who are trying to correct all their massive wrong's and make fun of them for doing it and have attempted to associate a negative term with a massive group in calling us "millennials"

end of rant!

I have to ask because I'm not getting it ... what is the connection between that quote in the Athletic and your rant about baby boomers vs millenials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad