The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Unfortunately this would still be obtainable if he was traded as per the direct quote, im unaware if there was other context that would make it specifically Sens related.

The entire media profession be it, tv, radio or any online platform needs a massive youth injection, tired of hearing from the old boys club boomer generation that are so wrapped up in nostalgia and how great things were back in the day...etc that they fail to realize the many real world problems these days because they don't have to deal with them and aren't really engaged in reality.

Amazing nobody has called out that generation who had their cake and ate it too, got all the benefits of past generations yet took advantage greatly of all future generations, my fav is now how they make fun of younger folks who are trying to correct all their massive wrong's and make fun of them for doing it and have attempted to associate a negative term with a massive group in calling us "millennials"

end of rant!

Yeah this kind of intra-generational angst and chafing is not unique to the present.

Literally nothing in this "millennials screwed by baby boomers" is a new idea, every generation grapples with large social problems, every generation casts shade on the standards and practices of those before it, every generation stands on the gains of the generations behind them, and every generation eventually coms to look back to their youth with nostalgia.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah this kind of intra-generational angst and chafing is not unique to the present.

Literally nothing in this "millennials screwed by baby boomers" is a new idea, every generation grapples with large social problems, every generation casts shade on the standards and practices of those before it, every generation stands on the gains of the generations behind them, and every generation eventually coms to look back to their youth with nostalgia.

Very true.

But the baby boomers vs millennials is a bit different. Boomers have a massive voice...biggest generation in a long, long time. Add in all the regular and social media and how we're all connected 24/7, and it's like a slow drip of complaints & bashing turning into a tsunami.

Kinda funny...as an Xer, my generation has pretty much been ignored for all our lives (so far). I guess that's a perk of being the smallest generation with virtually no voice (and being sarcastic/pessimistic as hell).

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Friggin Lee just forced me to turn off my radio. I was trying to listen to some Ceci discussion but the guy is an argumentative you know what!!!!!

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Friggin Lee just forced me to turn off my radio. I was trying to listen to some Ceci discussion but the guy is an argumentative you know what!!!!!

Lee Versage - making people turn off their radios for years.

I think JR really needs to give his head a shake and try to fix this mess of a station, just like the Ottawa Senators, status quo is NOT acceptable.

Last edited:

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Very true.

But the baby boomers vs millennials is a bit different. Boomers have a massive voice...biggest generation in a long, long time. Add in all the regular and social media and how we're all connected 24/7, and it's like a slow drip of complaints & bashing turning into a tsunami.

Kinda funny...as an Xer, my generation has pretty much been ignored for all our lives (so far). I guess that's a perk of being the smallest generation with virtually no voice (and being sarcastic/pessimistic as hell).

A quick glance at housing and inflation indexes over the boomers reign of power period reveals quite a lot imo!

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm not anti Lee, he has at times, (lets say) interesting initial viewpoints on things which go against the norm and help set up opposing points of views for discussion between the hosts but he has to learn when to let go. As things progress, Lee takes on this nagging voice and he persists when a co-host (or whoever he sees as an opponent) doesn't agree with his take on things. The listeners have heard both sides of the discussion and nothing new is being added so move on already! But no.... If the other side utters even one word that seems to indicate non agreement, Lee behaves like a pit bull who goes back on the attack to win at all cost. It's radio so we can't see the other person sitting near him but sometimes he even continues by saying something like "you're nodding your head no" "you don't agree?" ...and off he goes again. It's clear that he can't stop himself because surely he's heard this complaint before. Even when I completely agree with his side (not today though with his take on Ceci) it's ridiculous to hear the same points made over and over again but louder and more aggressive with each repetition just to counter his co-hosts opinions as if he's trying to beat him into submission. I'm all for good lively discussions but the voice, attitude and style when he gets in that all too frequent mode makes me turn the radio off because it grates on my nerves.

When I'm at home, just for spite I turn on Sportsnet on TV!!!

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016
Did Ian ever say whether he enjoyed slapshot or not?

I did mention this briefly on the air back in the spring. I didn’t particularly enjoy the movie at all. The plot was weird. The acting was bad. And it seemed really dated and old.

Not having a childhood connection was a really big factor for me. I think if I had seen it as a kid, I would have had a nostalgic tie to the movie. But having watched it for the first time as an adult, it just felt like an outdated film.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I did mention this briefly on the air back in the spring. I didn’t particularly enjoy the movie at all. The plot was weird. The acting was bad. And it seemed really dated and old.

Not having a childhood connection was a really big factor for me. I think if I had seen it as a kid, I would have had a nostalgic tie to the movie. But having watched it for the first time as an adult, it just felt like an outdated film.

What's next on the list...Youngblood?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
It’s really not a very good movie. But it does have a few quotable lines that are fun in a nostalgic sense. And at work I do regularly request “Trade me! Trade me right @@@@@@ now!”

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Ian, I know this isn't why you're here, but any chance you can let us in on why there's been no media relations with the Sens organization since the deadline? I have always enjoyed the interviews with the GM, scouts, etc. after the draft, dev camp & free agency, but this year we've gotten nothing.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ian, I know this isn't why you're here, but any chance you can let us in on why there's been no media relations with the Sens organization since the deadline? I have always enjoyed the interviews with the GM, scouts, etc. after the draft, dev camp & free agency, but this year we've gotten nothing.

@ianmendes , I second the motion

Radiogirl

Oct 12, 2017
Lee Versage - making people turn off their radios for years.

I think JR really needs to give his head a shake and try to fix this mess of a station, just like the Ottawa Senators, status quo is NOT acceptable.
I think the changes might need to be higher than JR, not that I wish to see anyone on TSN1200 lose there job. ( well maybe just one LOL) The station could use some changes, I noticed Greech and Bunda are doing some hosting jobs this summer maybe they are going to make some show changes. Ok, what changes in the line up would you all make?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Very true.

Meh I love it,we just dont give a f*** about people crying and whining all the time....Everybody has an issue ,a story....Why the f*** does it matter ???Just live respect and tolerate everybody,and people are allowed to have a different view or opinion...Without being called a racist,or bigot because it doesnt jive with the status quo

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Funny how Marcramella is a full time lawyer and yet knows more about sports than half the people on the station.

To bad him and mindy can't do a show together. It would be perfect.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Funny how Marcramella is a full time lawyer and yet knows more about sports than half the people on the station.

To bad him and mindy can't do a show together. It would be perfect.
I savour that hour they sometimes do together before his show.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I can never repeat this enough but having Warne (the stations weakest link by FAR) and Brennan on together at the same time running the morning show is the worst radio I've ever heard.

Reactions: branch

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I can never repeat this enough but having Warne (the stations weakest link by FAR) and Brennan on together at the same time running the morning show is the worst radio I've ever heard.
I dunno, having two people with a combined IQ that doesn't add up to a triple digit number can be kind of funny in an ironic way... for about 5 minutes. Then I just switch over to CBC.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

They are really, really, bad, but at least Brennan has been crapping on the Sens organization and ownership all week, which is quite refreshing for the station.

Pick your poison, Warne & Simmer, Warne & Stevenson, Warne & Whitey, all terrible combos, but JR seems to be quite content with staus quo. Also, why does Steve Warne talk so slow when he is hosting. Its like he is talking to a bunch of toddlers.

Time to get Bunda and/or Chreecher in there far more often than they are. Both are better than all the other hosts not named Mendes.

ianmendes

Dec 15, 2016

All I can say is that we have tried and are hopeful to get some interviews here in the next few weeks. Around the NHL Draft was great - we had Dorion/Brady Tkachuk/etc. It would be fantastic to get a more regular presence from front office/players and it is definitely my aim to restore that for the coming season.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
People on the main board saying Garrioch was on the station talking about how Ottawa could walk away from Ceci's arbitration deal. I'm assuming this is BS, but has anyone been listening this afternoon that can confirm/deny?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
People on the main board saying Garrioch was on the station talking about how Ottawa could walk away from Ceci's arbitration deal. I'm assuming this is BS, but has anyone been listening this afternoon that can confirm/deny?

The interview just happened 15 minutes ago so it will be uploaded right after 3PM.

Reactions: stempniaksen

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Oh good, Garrioch is back from vacation, as the only one allowed to speak to any of the Sens brass, hopefully he can give us a glipse of what this "plan" may be.

I wonder if he will have some sort of live interview from Dorion's bunker?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
All I can say is that we have tried and are hopeful to get some interviews here in the next few weeks. Around the NHL Draft was great - we had Dorion/Brady Tkachuk/etc. It would be fantastic to get a more regular presence from front office/players and it is definitely my aim to restore that for the coming season.
Great stuff, appreciate the reply Ian.

As your article on TSN demonstrated, we feel very much in the dark as fans of this franchise and the TSN1200 interviews with the organization go a long way for me personally. Bryan Murray interviews were always a highlight for me in the long summer season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia