The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Anderson asked to be moved, as he is on his last legs, I'd be fine letting him go to a team that needs a 1b or a vet back-up. He's the best goalie in franchise history, and competing for a Cup is what every NHLer strives for. I'd be more than fine to allow Anderson that chance, as this Sens team as is can't offer that over his contract.

We would need a ~2 year stop gap until one of our guys is ready or we are able to make a Jones/Bishop/Hutton/Andersen type trade.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He's played 17 games in the ECHL and 24 games, in the AHL, yeah, sure, he's ready with just over 40 games played on North American sized ice, to tackle the NHL.
if he continues to play well for another month or so, he should be called up. Some goalies don't need a full season of AHL time if they already played in other pro leagues

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
if he continues to play well for another month or so, he should be called up. Some goalies don't need a full season of AHL time if they already played in other pro leagues

I watched him on Sunday, just the first period. Looked solid, and he's a HUGE guy as well.

He needs to remain in Belleville as long as possible. He needs to play as much as possible, and should not be called up to sit on the bench as a back up, as long as Anderson is here.

Reactions: aragorn

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I agree with this. I believe he needs a contract at the end of the season too, why not bring him up and see what you got. I'd even be quite content with a 50/50 split with Andy

I am sure there is another thread for this discussion though.

Here is where we discuss how bad Lee Versage is, or why TGOR things Netflix Top 10 lists are more important than covering sports..

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mendes article on Boucher. Deployment is interesting because at home GB can win a game when he can control the matchups, on the road with a young team the holes show glaringly. I like the spirit of the club and it was good last year before Turris was traded and everything fell apart in the dressing room.

I like Boucher, I think Dorion criticizing him in the media, and IMO the tone and immaturity of Dorion's comments were disrespectful especially to a man like GB who always talks with respect and is a good company guy., but Dorion's comments were stupid.

With Dorion, he brings in Duchene and announces a rebuild 8 weeks later, he talks up Phaneuf being an unparalleled leader but 90 days later he doesn't like the dressing room or the players practice habits, EK was made by God himself and will never be traded, until the following trade deadline day when he was alsmot traded. SAME with Boucher, seemed like a great (low cost) hire for Dorion, but he undermines his own coach last season, and now we are in a state of Dorion giving us p, the fans, the low down on the state of the franchise which is actually just the owners I'll-tempered angry mood which if we look at the messege from Dorion and Poo-Jeans is 'nothing in Ottawa is good enough, cheap enough or sacrificial to enough to thrive here. I will die in this arena alone if I have to.'

This team and the GM can't help himself, even if we hired Scotty Bowman with Ken Hithcock and Al Arbiur as assistant coaches Dorion would find a way to sideswipe his coaching staff.

Is Boucher the Answer - who knows. But I'll take his decency, his proffesinalism and his positive attitude over anything the Sens have had since Jacques Martin.

Reactions: Smeddy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Mendes article on Boucher. Deployment is interesting because at home GB can win a game when he can control the matchups, on the road with a young team the holes show glaringly. I like the spirit of the club and it was good last year before Turris was traded and everything fell apart in the dressing room.

I like Boucher, I think Dorion criticizing him in the media, and IMO the tone and immaturity of Dorion's comments were disrespectful especially to a man like GB who always talks with respect and is a good company guy., but Dorion's comments were stupid.

With Dorion, he brings in Duchene and announces a rebuild 8 weeks later, he talks up Phaneuf being an unparalleled leader but 90 days later he doesn't like the dressing room or the players practice habits, EK was made by God himself and will never be traded, until the following trade deadline day when he was alsmot traded. SAME with Boucher, seemed like a great (low cost) hire for Dorion, but he undermines his own coach last season, and now we are in a state of Dorion giving us p, the fans, the low down on the state of the franchise which is actually just the owners I'll-tempered angry mood which if we look at the messege from Dorion and Poo-Jeans is 'nothing in Ottawa is good enough, cheap enough or sacrificial to enough to thrive here. I will die in this arena alone if I have to.'

This team and the GM can't help himself, even if we hired Scotty Bowman with Ken Hithcock and Al Arbiur as assistant coaches Dorion would find a way to sideswipe his coaching staff.

Is Boucher the Answer - who knows. But I'll take his decency, his proffesinalism and his positive attitude over anything the Sens have had since Jacques Martin.

Man, I read your long posts and generally enjoy them, but man, there are SO MANY inaccuracies included that take away from some otherwise interesting takes.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa

The Turris trade was the lynch pin to the recent fall of the Sens IMO. Duchene is better but Turris was one of the clue guys on the team. Dorion got excited and after the playoff run wanted to go into win now mode and get Duchene. Not only did he give up a crap load to get him, the trade also derailed the team.

Add the fact that we lost another leader in Methot and stable partner for Karlsson, we were never the same.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

It's pretty clear Boucher is the lesser of all evils as far as management/coaching is concerned. The home/road splits alone are pretty damning to the talent on this roster, the fact he consistently keeps us in games on home ice is a minor miracle. That doesn't mean I want him around long-term, but I have a real hard time with people harping on Boucher this season considering how far down the list of issues he is.

Reactions: Tuna99 and HSF

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Funny how some people have zero problem with a discussion surrounding trading a 28 year old generation defenceman, while ripping apart his game, practice habits, and even take personal shots at the guy, yet when we talk about trading our overpaid, very average veteran goaltender,people get very upset. Strange world we live in.

Craig Anderson also asked for a trade outta here.

You should look at goalies in their UFA years contracts on capfriendly.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's pretty clear Boucher is the lesser of all evils as far as management/coaching is concerned. The home/road splits alone are pretty damning to the talent on this roster, the fact he consistently keeps us in games on home ice is a minor miracle. That doesn't mean I want him around long-term, but I have a real hard time with people harping on Boucher this season considering how far down the list of issues he is.
Or alternatively, his lineups and usage on the road are done out of fear and the team senses that uneasiness. Maybe if he just rolled out the same lineup, lines and pairings that he uses at home we might be a better road team.

Reactions: aragorn

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Funny how some people have zero problem with a discussion surrounding trading a 28 year old generation defenceman, while ripping apart his game, practice habits, and even take personal shots at the guy, yet when we talk about trading our overpaid, very average veteran goaltender,people get very upset. Strange world we live in.

Craig Anderson also asked for a trade outta here.

Amazing isn't it.

If a team like Philadelphia or St.Louis makes you a decent offer for Anderson, you take it. The guys is 37 years old, he is not part of this rebuild. When we're ready to compete, he won't be here.

Has he kept us in games? Sure. But we're 27th in the league right now in point%. Without him we'd be what? 30th? Oh no! The same as last year! We're going to be bad next year too, so why keep him around?

Trade him and pick up a cheap stop gap.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Or alternatively, his lineups and usage on the road are done out of fear and the team senses that uneasiness. Maybe if he just rolled out the same lineup, lines and pairings that he uses at home we might be a better road team.

I think Boucher has been great with rookies, Chabot, Dzingel, Lajoie, Tkachuk.

I'd like to see Balcers and Chlapik up here for Pyatt and Mccorkick, if Boucher has a quality I don't like it's his stubborn reliance on over the hill veterans over rookies with the pace to play, but that seems to be every coach.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Amazing isn't it.

If a team like Philadelphia or St.Louis makes you a decent offer for Anderson, you take it. The guys is 37 years old, he is not part of this rebuild. When we're ready to compete, he won't be here.

Has he kept us in games? Sure. But we're 27th in the league right now in point%. Without him we'd be what? 30th? Oh no! The same as last year! We're going to be bad next year too, so why keep him around?

agreed, if they get a good return, the downside to signing a guy like Lehtonen would be outweighed by that return.

I don't think they;ll be bad next year but I don't think Anderson makes much of a difference compared to other options internally or externally

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Amazing isn't it.

Anderson is playing alright, he's not what he was even 2 years ago. His game is overrated in this market based on what he did, I'd take the draft picks and tank next year for Lafraniere. Next year my guess is Andy is brutal, so why hang on to him for 30 more games when you can move him. In the words of Bryan Murray 'he asked to be moved and we wanted to give him an opportunity to continue his career, so we traded him for Alex Chiasson.'

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
If Andy wants to try for a cup you give him that and trade him to a contender for whatever he brings back.

If he wants to stay you let him play out his contract. He’s earned both, and he’s still a tremendous asset in the ice for us.

My opinion

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

You make up a lot of stuff.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Andy already requested a trade, there is no "If" in this scenario.

Okay, but if you’re interested in tweaking your opinion to reflect what actually happened:

https://www.bardown.com/despite-rep...explains-why-he-s-content-in-ottawa-1.1163369

Andy is happy in Ottawa but didn’t want to stick around if the drama didn’t get sorted out. He’s at the tail end of his career and didn’t want to spend it in that atmosphere.

Here’s what we do know: We moved out two players involved in locker room drama, and low and behold Anderson is still here. It should be noted that this is mere correlation, it could have been the influx of character rookies that made all the difference to Andy.

I think it’s safe to say that PD, EM, & GB are still here so he likely wasn’t referring to them when he talked about drama.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Okay, but if you’re interested in tweaking your opinion to reflect what actually happened:

https://www.bardown.com/despite-rep...explains-why-he-s-content-in-ottawa-1.1163369

Andy is happy in Ottawa but didn’t want to stick around if the drama didn’t get sorted out. He’s at the tail end of his career and didn’t want to spend it in that atmosphere.

Here’s what we do know: We moved out two players involved in locker room drama, and low and behold Anderson is still here. It should be noted that this is mere correlation, it could have been the influx of character rookies that made all the difference to Andy.

I think it’s safe to say that PD, EM, & GB are still here so he likely wasn’t referring to them when he talked about drama.

Some would say that a player asking to be traded creates drama... but hey, what do I know!

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Boucher is fine as a stopgap. He obviously won't be the one to push this team over the top, but we could not afford Babcock and he probably can't afford Coach Q so...yeah. Dorion is pretty bush league at times, but he's a legend at Garlic King. L-E-G-E-N-D.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Amazing isn't it.

There is value in keeping Anderson to a certain point. If he gets a decent asset back, like a 2nd round pick, then sure move him, but to move on from him just because he's 37 with no immediate replacement doesn't make much sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad