The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The gag order is definitely for real. The only question is if it is self-imposed or if the organization demanded it. Would be interesting to know. I think it really is a combo of both.

Cue all the people coming in here with pitchforks saying "it isn't a sports story", "if you don't like TGOR, stop listening..."

Not that I agree with the gag order but I understand why they have done it, it's unfortunate that they feel they cannot survive without the access or know they cannot. While this should be discussed on 1200 many times daily I feel the more traditional media outlets should be the one's carrying the mail on this debacle and yet have been the most silent. Regardless I personally gave up on honest and transparent media many years back and basically now only rely and trust those bloggers and tweeters who have more than earned their strong positive reputations over many years of quality and consistant work.

I would love to hear an E-Mac deep dive on this subject, that guy is a smart dude and I would love to hear his informed thoughts on the subject.

Reactions: bert

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
See Karlsson walk away from Toronto media when they immediately started asking about his return to Ottawa after the loss vs the Leafs?

I lol'd.

He did that because he made it clear he wouldn't be talking about Ottawa until he got to Ottawa.

Reactions: 18Hossa

otown

Sep 4, 2009
It will be an interesting evening with EK back in town.
He is pretty good dealing with the media but I suspect he might add some new information regarding his last days as a Sen. Strictly a hunch.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not that I agree with the gag order but I understand why they have done it, it's unfortunate that they feel they cannot survive without the access or know they cannot. While this should be discussed on 1200 many times daily I feel the more traditional media outlets should be the one's carrying the mail on this debacle and yet have been the most silent. Regardless I personally gave up on honest and transparent media many years back and basically now only rely and trust those bloggers and tweeters who have more than earned their strong positive reputations over many years of quality and consistant work.

I would love to hear an E-Mac deep dive on this subject, that guy is a smart dude and I would love to hear his informed thoughts on the subject.
E-Mac doesn'want to get sued.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I get that no one should trust a public persona - they are fabritaced BS. But the one thing I don’t like about this EK and his outsized ego chat from CJ and the theme of EKs non-dedication to team and winning they are pinning on him. #1 It just seems like he won 2 Norris trophy’s here, clearly led us on the playoff run and the Hamburgler run, was all world and inspired hockey players all over the world and legit changed the game the same way Patrick Roy did with a style of play never seen before that made all other players at that position change their game from age 4 to 84. Literally revolutionized the game.

I think this ‘he didn’t let his team practice’ talk should be less about the player and more about how a team let a 23 year old Captain under long term contract take over the team and put in demands that management or coaching couldnt push back against especially if it was hurting their team and the other players wanted to practice. Just seems like it’s weakness all over the place and it can’t honour the one strong element that gave the fans and the team hope for so many dark years is being called a ‘dictator’ now.

Ottawa was to small for EK. CJ is reinforcing that now. He was to big for the team. Get your Brady ‘Tkachuk to American for Ottawa’ and ‘Batherson forgot his roots’ articles ready.

EK was to big for Sue-jeans Melnyck Ottawa Senators and we always knew it. Not because EK has a big ego and was moody and mean like CJ piants him as - but because the Senators under Melnyck have never had the expertise, wherewithal, intelligence or leadership to be good. Excellence can’t excel under Melnyck, never has, never will.

Does EK have an ego - yes. Did he ever show it to the fans - no. Does a Melnyk have an ego - yes and he shows it to the fans all the time. There has been more time spent slandering EK then there has been bringing Melnyck to task. And the reason is the media knows EK will
Let this roll of his back and not get twisted over it - they know Melnyck will be petty if they ever had this criticisn of him and they dont want to lose their seat on the plane. And that’s why EK is gone. He was always to big for the Senators, because the Senators can’t withstand anything that seeks to be good - Lebreton, EK, outdoor game, Crosby, Alfie.

If you want to be good, you have to leave Ottawa. That’s what this should be about.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I get that no one should trust a public persona - they are fabritaced BS. But the one thing I don’t like about this EK and his outsized ego chat from CJ and the theme of EKs non-dedication to team and winning they are pinning on him. #1 It just seems like he won 2 Norris trophy’s here, clearly led us on the playoff run and the Hamburgler run, was all world and inspired hockey players all over the world and legit changed the game the same way Patrick Roy did with a style of play never seen before that made all other players at that position change their game from age 4 to 84. Literally revolutionized the game.

I think this ‘he didn’t let his team practice’ talk should be less about the player and more about how a team let a 23 year old Captain under long term contract take over the team and put in demands that management or coaching couldnt push back against especially if it was hurting their team and the other players wanted to practice. Just seems like it’s weakness all over the place and it can’t honour the one strong element that gave the fans and the team hope for so many dark years is being called a ‘dictator’ now.

Ottawa was to small for EK. CJ is reinforcing that now. He was to big for the team. Get your Brady ‘Tkachuk to American for Ottawa’ and ‘Batherson forgot his roots’ articles ready.

EK was to big for Sue-jeans Melnyck Ottawa Senators and we always knew it. Not because EK has a big ego and was moody and mean like CJ piants him as - but because the Senators under Melnyck have never had the expertise, wherewithal, intelligence or leadership to be good. Excellence can’t excel under Melnyck, never has, never will.

Does EK have an ego - yes. Did he ever show it to the fans - no. Does a Melnyk have an ego - yes and he shows it to the fans all the time. There has been more time spent slandering EK then there has been bringing Melnyck to task. And the reason is the media knows EK will
Let this roll of his back and not get twisted over it - they know Melnyck will be petty if they ever had this criticisn of him and they dont want to lose their seat on the plane. And that’s why EK is gone. He was always to big for the Senators, because the Senators can’t withstand anything that seeks to be good - Lebreton, EK, outdoor game, Crosby, Alfie.

If you want to be good, you have to leave Ottawa. That’s what this should be about.
I always felt Karlsson was too young to become captain. He didn`t earn it like Spezza did. If they did not screw Alfie over they would not have needed to put Kalrsson on a pedestal in efforts to get him to stay. I think Karlssons wife being from Ottawa maybe added to the supperiority complex. The Hoffman situation was just too weird to be just about 2 women not liking each other.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Jeffrey Simpson (from his desk in Ottawa so no Toronto
Media bashing) wrote this about Ottawa Fans in 2015. Wow how wrong can you get? AND we did make the playoffs that year. Media thinks about the government city of Ottawa defined by the go to Montreal for lunch Trudeau comment they still
Live by ( this city is boring, tame, sedated) and apply those attitudes to everything in Ottawa. Compare that to Warnes tweet today about being a rebel for enjoying the team and he’ll withstand the flack from Ottawa 7500 remaining fans, and we have both extremes of media misunderstanding:

Perhaps this smaller-market reflex explains a little why Sens fans are remarkably uncomplaining. They don't make much noise compared to fans in other cities. They seldom boo. They don't throw sweaters on the ice in disgust or wear garbage bags over their heads. They don't hold up homemade signs decrying mediocrity. The Ottawa media are tame by Toronto standards.

It's almost as though by expressing unhappiness at Melnyk's Mess, fans fear he might try to move the team, which of course he could not easily do under league bylaws. Were his creditors ever to force him to sell the club, it would be purchased by someone else.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
@ianmendes can you ask Pierre From Orleans if the "1st round pick before 2022" that the Sharks has to supply us if Karlsson is on an Eastern Conference reserve list this season has to be one of their own picks, or if for example they could deal Karlsson to a team at the deadline and supply us with one of those teams picks.

I am very curious about this due to the wording in the Sens press release. As surprising as it seems, I do not have access to Pierre Dorion, so it's hard to get an answer.

For example, Karlsson is traded to Washington for a package including their 2019 1st. Could San Jose then supply Ottawa with Washington's 2019 1st in order to fulfill the "Hoffman" condition instead of San Jose having to give us either their 2021 or 2022 1st round pick.

Thanks.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
TGOR with the pulse of the fanbase. Trading Anderson would anger the fanbase and you will sell even less tickets.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
*shrug*. Ian's opinions aren't any more valid than anyone else's, he just has a larger audience.
Did you even know what the comment was about?

It was an apt description of an absurd scenario given by Versage.

His opinion's are definitely more valid than most, as his finger is closer to the pulse of the team than the vast majority.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
We need a game of Simmer buzzword Bingo over the holidays. I'll go with "Washington" as the free square in the middle. Other candidates for squares include pace, heavy hockey, Jagr, young team, your group, structure, going forward, Pinot, South Rockcliffe - surely I am missing some...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
JR is stupid today. This whole Anderson angle he created today is ridiculous. Brian Elliot in Ottawa? Oh, that will go over well.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
JR is stupid today. This whole Anderson angle he created today is ridiculous. Brian Elliot in Ottawa? Oh, that will go over well.
I really don't see an issue with his take from this morning.

I think it absolutely makes sense to trade Andy, and the circumstances are completely different than moving Karlsson, Duchene, Stone. Andy also asked to be moved and is 37 years old, not like we would be trading him in his prime like we did with EK and will with the other 2.

Reactions: Stylizer1

TheGeneral

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
www.blogger.com

Honestly I don't understand the hate to his angle so much. It's not something that's going to happen so it's moot but I get it. It does make sense.

I'd rather just keep Andy, but for his sake if he'd like to go somewhere else I'd be happy to oblige.

-Phillidelphia gets a proven (more less) playoff goalie for two runs and a good mentor for upcoming goalie prospects.

-Ottawa gets Brian Elliot - a downgrade for sure.. but competant enoughh thatwith the stage if our team it won't make a difference.

-Ottawa is done with Elliot next year with his contract up, and Andy's salary is moved, melnyk loves that.

-We get a throw in 2nd round level pick. .. probably more likely a 3rd.

Would philly do it? I doubt it. Would anything significantly change? No. But a throw in pick is a bonus.

Either way.. I don't know how it's become such a talking point - usually the radio hates fan trade proposals for obvious reasons and here they are making it the headline of the day.

#normismel

Reactions: Stylizer1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad