The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Does anyone remember the smoking area outside Gate 1 when they had it?

It was at least a good thousand people each intermission.

Most of those people don't go anymore. Those people were there with others, that may not of smoked, but they don't go anymore either. It's a ripple effect.

It has become a nuisance to go to a live game, whether people like to admit it or not, or the fact that all the new measures don't personally bother you, it doesn't matter to someone who does believe that it's just easier to stay home.

It has kind of an airport vibe with all the security. I guess that's something that can't be done without and is the norm in all pro sports nowadays. I don't see why they can't bring back the old smoking deck. Tampa's arena has a party deck (not sure if it's open all game long) so why not open up that deck on the 200 level to smokers again? If I remember correctly there are no stairs or anything so nobody would be able to leave the premises without still using one of the main doors. So their shouldn't be a re-entry issue.

Also, in case Bob McKenzie is watching this thread...Mendes has cooties!...just kidding

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It has kind of an airport vibe with all the security. I guess that's something that can't be done without and is the norm in all pro sports nowadays. I don't see why they can't bring back the old smoking deck. Tampa's arena has a party deck (not sure if it's open all game long) so why not open up that deck on the 200 level to smokers again? If I remember correctly there are no stairs or anything so nobody would be able to leave the premises without still using one of the main doors. So their shouldn't be a re-entry issue.

Also, in case Bob McKenzie is watching this thread...Mendes has cooties!...just kidding

The smoking deck was not really good. The whole arena inside stunk like smoke. That is not an option and is likely actually against Ottawa bylaws in terms of smoking to close to entrances.

They need an area in front of the main entrance to the building fenced high for people to go out and smoke at intermissions.

And if security is really such a big issue they could make it a literal cage so people couldn't throw a bomb in a back pack over to someone during the game. Or have everyone go through the metal detector on the way in and out to the fenced/caged area.

Lots of smokers might only want to go out once during the entire game. It is much less of a big deal to go an hour and half between smokes by going out once then 3 hours plus for a smoker with no in/out smoking privleges.

I don't think smokers expect for smoking to be super easy or even to get back that 200 level smoking spot. Smokers are used to it not being that easy to smoke. But making it impossible for them for 3-3.5 hours is the bridge too far. Because it literally makes a game agitating and not even fun if you are freaking out to have a cigarette. Why pay $100+ to not enjoy yourself? They watch at bars and at home instead.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The smoking deck was not really good. The whole arena inside stunk like smoke. That is not an option and is likely actually against Ottawa bylaws in terms of smoking to close to entrances.

They need an area in front of the main entrance to the building fenced high for people to go out and smoke at intermissions.

And if security is really such a big issue they could make it a literal cage so people couldn't throw a bomb in a back pack over to someone during the game. Or have everyone go through the metal detector on the way in and out to the fenced/caged area.

Lots of smokers might only want to go out once during the entire game. It is much less of a big deal to go an hour and half between smokes by going out once then 3 hours plus for a smoker with no in/out smoking privleges.

I don't think smokers expect for smoking to be super easy or even to get back that 200 level smoking spot. Smokers are used to it not being that easy to smoke. But making it impossible for them for 3-3.5 hours is the bridge too far. Because it literally makes a game agitating and not even fun if you are freaking out to have a cigarette. Why pay $100+ to not enjoy yourself? They watch at bars and at home instead.

I went to watch the playoff clinching game against Philly a couple years ago at CTC and they had a fence where you could smoke near the front entrance. I am not sure why they couldn't do the same thing again. It's away from the concourse and has enough room to accommodate all smokers

BrassBalls

Nov 5, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Not a smoker anymore but I agree with the overall sentiment. The more freedoms/allowances you take away from the average-Joe the less you'll see of the average-Joe.

I can honestly admit I've been to a lot less games (2015-16 = zero, while my average before was 4-8 per year) since they started implementing bag checks/refusals, pat-downs, security checks on overly-rowdy fans, etc. etc.

If I, as a fan can understand the security aspect from the team/league's perspective, can the team/league bring itself to understand the 'fun' aspect from the fan's? Really, if I'm going to pay out the ass to be treated as a potential criminal I might as well pool my money and fly out to some place nice.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not a smoker anymore but I agree with the overall sentiment. The more freedoms/allowances you take away from the average-Joe the less you'll see of the average-Joe.

I can honestly admit I've been to a lot less games (2015-16 = zero, while my average before was 4-8 per year) since they started implementing bag checks/refusals, pat-downs, security checks on overly-rowdy fans, etc. etc.

If I, as a fan can understand the security aspect from the team/league's perspective, can the team/league bring itself to understand the 'fun' aspect from the fan's? Really, if I'm going to pay out the ass to be treated as a potential criminal I might as well pool my money and fly out to some place nice.

What's so bad about the pat-downs?

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015
Simmerdown

What's the thoughts on Simmerdown? I liked when it was first on now it seems old. Every week the same questions, something about his Washington days, dating advice or a question on his love life, something about Europe as a party site, nothing earth shattering. Maybe they should call a Sens or RedBlacks player or another local athlete we could learn more about. Don't need to know more about Simmers privileged life.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Its a ridiculous overkill security measure that wasn't needed and isn't effective anyway. It's like airline security, creates the illusion of safety.

I'm amazed that people just passively accept it to be quite honest.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What's the thoughts on Simmerdown? I liked when it was first on now it seems old. Every week the same questions, something about his Washington days, dating advice or a question on his love life, something about Europe as a party site, nothing earth shattering. Maybe they should call a Sens or RedBlacks player or another local athlete we could learn more about. Don't need to know more about Simmers privileged life.

Simmer is great. Not so in tune with his music choices. Mendes should do a classic rock tribute to Gord Downie - they had a couple of musical contests where people called in covers and they assembled them into songs, they were great. Mendes should get Simmers favourite Hip song and get peeps to call in and assemnle the best takes. Be a good tie in for my vote for Canadian of the Year, Hip=Hockey=Canada=Sentimental end to a whack year. Finish on something positive here. Let the fans bring it home and honour Gord Downie.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
It's stupid. Like really stupid.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Its a ridiculous overkill security measure that wasn't needed and isn't effective anyway. It's like airline security, creates the illusion of safety.

I'm amazed that people just passively accept it to be quite honest.

I think most as simply too young to remember day and age when there was such a thing as freedom. I haven't been to a live game in about 2 years now...the thought of patdowns...hell no. Even if I was close to the arena, I'm not going to allow myself to be treated like a criminal for the privilege of spending my money. Ridiculous. The minute they try that stuff in any public venue or theater or whatever, is the day I stop going to those places.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It's stupid. Like really stupid.

Definitely one of the worst segments on radio. Simmer talks about himself way to often in the first place, so we all already know the answers to most of the questions.

Ian, I know you are reading, maybe instead of "Simmer-Down" can we please have a weekly NFL insider??? Simmer talks endlessly about his buddies Jason La Confera, or Kenny Albert, bring them on again. You used to have them on the radio and all the sudden the only NFL insider on the station is Duke Ellingson. The Duke doesn't really have the inside knowledge of the NFL, he is just a guy who used to play football.

Is TSN1200 working on an internal budget? Or just cheaping out? If JR really thinks that local options for guests are just as good, he is completely mistaken.

BrassBalls

Nov 5, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
I think most as simply too young to remember day and age when there was such a thing as freedom. I haven't been to a live game in about 2 years now...the thought of patdowns...hell no. Even if I was close to the arena, I'm not going to allow myself to be treated like a criminal for the privilege of spending my money. Ridiculous. The minute they try that stuff in any public venue or theater or whatever, is the day I stop going to those places.

Wow, can you imagine what it'll be like 20 years from now? Scary thought, lol! :laugh:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Not needed. They don't actually do anything. If someone really wanted to bring a weapon, they could bring a non metal option. Like a ceramic blade.

It's a waste of time.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Wow, can you imagine what it'll be like 20 years from now? Scary thought, lol! :laugh:

Seems to be needed as the intelligence levels in the population continue to decrease at a rapid rate, it doesn't even bother me anymore because I truly believe no matter how stupid it is if it is possible someone will try it and when it comes to safety/security, these risks are no longer being taken due to society/insurance.

Guess my point is as society becomes dumber and dumber and in general some of these individuals begin to put other peoples lives in jeopardy in an increasing fashion, "the man" needs to step in and I guess I am okay with that as I see no better alternative.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Not needed. They don't actually do anything. If someone really wanted to bring a weapon, they could bring a non metal option. Like a ceramic blade.

It's a waste of time.

Last week when I went through the metal detector, I had my folding knife with me (as I do every day) and i just put it in my hat with my keys, phone and wallet. You know, the stuff that doesn't go through the detector.

The security is a joke :laugh:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

Definitely one of the worst segments on radio. Simmer talks about himself way to often in the first place, so we all already know the answers to most of the questions.

Ian, I know you are reading, maybe instead of "Simmer-Down" can we please have a weekly NFL insider??? Simmer talks endlessly about his buddies Jason La Confera, or Kenny Albert, bring them on again. You used to have them on the radio and all the sudden the only NFL insider on the station is Duke Ellingson. The Duke doesn't really have the inside knowledge of the NFL, he is just a guy who used to play football.

Is TSN1200 working on an internal budget? Or just cheaping out? If JR really thinks that local options for guests are just as good, he is completely mistaken.

If simmer donated 10k to a hospital, you two would ask why he didn't give 15.

Get over him already. He's one of the station's best assets, like it or not. He is 10 times better than White, CJ, Warne, and the entirety of the Sens pre-game round table (Ian excluded).

Chez, I do agree re: having an actual NFL insider.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Get over him already. He's one of the station's best assets, like it or not. He is 10 times better than White, CJ, Warne, and the entirety of the Sens pre-game round table (Ian excluded).

Amen. Holy crap this thread doesn't change.

BrassBalls

Nov 5, 2016
Ottawa, Canada
Seems to be needed as the intelligence levels in the population continue to decrease at a rapid rate, it doesn't even bother me anymore because I truly believe no matter how stupid it is if it is possible someone will try it and when it comes to safety/security, these risks are no longer being taken due to society/insurance.

Guess my point is as society becomes dumber and dumber and in general some of these individuals begin to put other peoples lives in jeopardy in an increasing fashion, "the man" needs to step in and I guess I am okay with that as I see no better alternative.

I thought the going narrative was that society has been progressing as a whole?

Or are we just being dragged by the heels into something we don't really understand? :laugh:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Come on, let's get Micheala on with Simmer, be some good Sparks there. simmer is an old school boy and has strong opinions, she is new school and has strong opinions - perfect conflict just because Mendes let's simmer take his foot out of mouth quietly, she wouldn't do that. Mendes is a good ref and has chemistry with both, let's get some sensitive subjects going and let them have a rip at at.

And yes Micheala, I want to bring up Alfie leaving, yes I believe in fans that are curses, yes I want to talk about ownership - someone who isn't afraid to speak like a fans speaks.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Guys getting carried away on the pre game show. They are campaigning for Chris Neil to have his jersey retired which is a bad enough idea to start with, but Don Brennan takes it an extra step and thinks he should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Yikes

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Never heard michaela before but I liked her on the drive last week.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Guys getting carried away on the pre game show. They are campaigning for Chris Neil to have his jersey retired which is a bad enough idea to start with, but Don Brennan takes it an extra step and thinks he should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Yikes

Did he really say that? I shouldn't be surprised with anything Donny says anymore.

TSN1200 really lowers their credibility being affiliated to that meathead.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Did he really say that? I shouldn't be surprised with anything Donny says anymore.

TSN1200 really lowers their credibility being affiliated to that meathead.

Well Donny loves the brawlers and doesn't think they're getting their due.

tsn1200lady

Apr 6, 2015

Not true, I have said before I commend Simmer for all his wonderful charity work he does for our community. However, that doesn't mean I can't find the Simmerdown segment or parts of his shtick annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad