The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Here's a thought for JR: Have more questions lined up for Pierre so if he tells you he has time you can extend the segment a few minutes.

Maybe if they didn't spend so much time focusing on a radio play by play call from a fight in Colorado, they would be more prepared.

Let me see....these guys rarely ever discuss anything in depth in relation to the league, yet the waste a whole segment playing a fight call...and they built it up over two segments and it was not entertaining at all.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Maybe if they didn't spend so much time focusing on a radio play by play call from a fight in Colorado, they would be more prepared.

Let me see....these guys rarely ever discuss anything in depth in relation to the league, yet the waste a whole segment playing a fight call...and they built it up over two segments and it was not entertaining at all.

For any of you who listened to the pre-game show last night, is there an actual beef between Todd White and Don Brennan or were they just hamming it up? There seemed to be some bitterness there and I was just curious if anyone knew where it stemmed from?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
For any of you who listened to the pre-game show last night, is there an actual beef between Todd White and Don Brennan or were they just hamming it up? There seemed to be some bitterness there and I was just curious if anyone knew where it stemmed from?

Does anyone even like or take Brennan seriously?

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006

I think they're hamming it up. Seems like every time White is on the pregame show, so is Brennan.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
You will just pick any little thing to whine about here won't you?

The station has time constraints with the segment; it just sounds bad when JR says "well we know you're busy so we'll let you go" and Pierre effectively says no that's okay i have time, but then they cut to commercial anyway. Stylizer should be well aware that there is a finite amount of time allotted to each segment, so I don't think it was a very well thought-out suggestion.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The station has time constraints with the segment; it just sounds bad when JR says "well we know you're busy so we'll let you go" and Pierre effectively says no that's okay i have time, but then they cut to commercial anyway. Stylizer should be well aware that there is a finite amount of time allotted to each segment, so I don't think it was a very well thought-out suggestion.
You know as well as I do that they can stretch segments when ever they want. If it were a daily thing I can understand but every once and a while you might as well take advantage of the best segment on your show.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I said it because JR assumed Pierre was busy and Pierre said no he could stay, like he was prepared to answer more questions.

Oh, I fully agree that Pierre was ready for more. But I think they have a list of topics, and when they hit the segment end time, they cut it off regardless of where they are in the list.

Or the other side of the coin, ya, maybe they just ran out of questions. But I think it has to do with underlying station restrictions. I feel like JR could throw Pierre a few more questions off the cuff if needed.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Oh, I fully agree that Pierre was ready for more. But I think they have a list of topics, and when they hit the segment end time, they cut it off regardless of where they are in the list.

Or the other side of the coin, ya, maybe they just ran out of questions. But I think it has to do with underlying station restrictions. I feel like JR could throw Pierre a few more questions off the cuff if needed.

Yup. Typically, the board guy is signalling at the host(s) to wrap it up and go to break. I'd wager JR drops a "I'm sure you're busy" as a reason to try and end the call organically, rather than go with the trite "That's all the time we have."

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

:nod:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I said it because JR assumed Pierre was busy and Pierre said no he could stay, like he was prepared to answer more questions.

Or JR was letting Pierre know that they were out of time, and Pierre dropped the ball on it.

member 137785

Has TGOR or TSN addressed the smoking ban as being a cause of a decrease in attendance? I'll repost my post from the attendance thread here so Ian/JR/TSN can read it :)

The decreased attendance is partly due to the smoking ban. 15% of Canadians smoke, and more than 15% of Sens ticket buyers do. They are no longer welcome. I'm not defending smoking, just stating a fact, if a smoker can go to a bar or a friends place or stay home to watch the game and pop out for a smoke a couple of times it's a much better experience for them. No need need to line the pockets of millionaires if they aren't concerned about the enjoyment of their clientele.

Smokers are addicted, but just like saying you would/did vote for Trump it probably doesn't come up in their surveys, no one wants to admit they don't want to go to a game because they are addicted to smoking so they don't mention it in their survey responses. But if I was running the Sens I wouldn't ignore that 15-20% of my market.

How hard would it be for the Sens to have a smoking area with a couple of security guards at $20 per hour for four hours, so $160 per game to keep 15-20% of their ticket buyers happy?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Has TGOR or TSN addressed the smoking ban as being a cause of a decrease in attendance? I'll repost my post from the attendance thread here so Ian/JR/TSN can read it :)

The decreased attendance is partly due to the smoking ban. 15% of Canadians smoke, and more than 15% of Sens ticket buyers do. They are no longer welcome. I'm not defending smoking, just stating a fact, if a smoker can go to a bar or a friends place or stay home to watch the game and pop out for a smoke a couple of times it's a much better experience for them. No need need to line the pockets of millionaires if they aren't concerned about the enjoyment of their clientele.

Smokers are addicted, but just like saying you would/did vote for Trump it probably doesn't come up in their surveys, no one wants to admit they don't want to go to a game because they are addicted to smoking so they don't mention it in their survey responses. But if I was running the Sens I wouldn't ignore that 15-20% of my market.

How hard would it be for the Sens to have a smoking area with a couple of security guards at $20 per hour for four hours, so $160 per game to keep 15-20% of their ticket buyers happy?
I don't know too many non smokers who appreciate someone sitting down next to them who just had a cancer stick. Smokers fly on planes too and can cope. I don't think that the percentage of smokers who go to games is that high and I am sure there are still smokers who go.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Or JR was letting Pierre know that they were out of time, and Pierre dropped the ball on it.
Same thing happened when Dorion was on In the Box on friday and guess what happened, Llyod said "we know you are busy bla bla bla" and Dorion says "NO, I have time" and the interview continued.

member 137785

I don't know too many non smokers who appreciate someone sitting down next to them who just had a cancer stick. Smokers fly on planes too and can cope. I don't think that the percentage of smokers who go to games is that high and I am sure there are still smokers who go.

You don't understand, people have to fly on planes, they don't have to pay hundreds of dollars on Senators tickets. As for you not liking a smoker sitting beside you, have you ever been to LA or China, trust me, the air is far worse just walking around there than you having to have your sensitive nose exposed to someone who just had a smoke. Wow. They should ban perfume as well if you want to go that far.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You don't understand, people have to fly on planes, they don't have to pay hundreds of dollars on Senators tickets. As for you not liking a smoker sitting beside you, have you ever been to LA or China, trust me, the air is far worse just walking around there than you having to have your sensitive nose exposed to someone who just had a smoke. Wow. They should ban perfume as well if you want to go that far.
I understand perfectly. Maybe you should use the patch during games?

otown

Sep 4, 2009
Hey TGOR, instead of playing a clip of Steve Phillips talking Jays from TSN1090, maybe try to get him on YOUR station.

You're right Chezz. Either Phillips or any other Jays analyst. Lots to choose from.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I think they should allow people to smoke at games for many reasons but will agree here, I equate it to someone sitting next to you with offensive body odour or having had an accident in their pants, not pleasant at all for most but such is life.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

I understand perfectly. Maybe you should use the patch during games?

:facepalm:

It's like you're purposely writing obtuse comments. Comparing smokers having to board a plane vs willingly go to a hockey game is a completely different animal, and I know you see the difference.

We had a big discussion on this in the attendance thread already, and some very good posts were made about this subject. The smoking ban at the CTC is a legitimate issue and it is impacting ticket sales IMO. I don't see why you think coming up with a solution to this doesn't warrant some constructive thought and perhaps a compromise to allow smokers to do their thing.

I personally wouldn't be using the smoking areas, but I can clearly see the need for a spot to let the people puff if they want. Ya, smoking is unhealthy and kills people. But we have reached a point where if you smoke, society treats you like the devil. For a world where tolerance is supposed to be on the rise, the smoking issue is the exact opposite and is alienating people due to their LEGAL habit.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
:facepalm:

It's like you're purposely writing obtuse comments. Comparing smokers having to board a plane vs willingly go to a hockey game is a completely different animal, and I know you see the difference.

We had a big discussion on this in the attendance thread already, and some very good posts were made about this subject. The smoking ban at the CTC is a legitimate issue and it is impacting ticket sales IMO. I don't see why you think coming up with a solution to this doesn't warrant some constructive thought and perhaps a compromise to allow smokers to do their thing.

I personally wouldn't be using the smoking areas, but I can clearly see the need for a spot to let the people puff if they want. Ya, smoking is unhealthy and kills people. But we have reached a point where if you smoke, society treats you like the devil. For a world where tolerance is supposed to be on the rise, the smoking issue is the exact opposite and is alienating people due to their LEGAL habit.

People really do vilify smokers to an astonishing degree. I wonder if it because we are no longer "allowed" to publicaly persecute people based on religion, creed and sexuality that those who need to judge others to feel secure in themselves talk down to people like smokers instead.

An interesting thought anyway. And no I don't smoke. Anymore :P

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I think they should allow people to smoke at games for many reasons but will agree here, I equate it to someone sitting next to you with offensive body odour or having had an accident in their pants, not pleasant at all for most but such is life.

Exactly. Where do you draw the line? BO? After effects of eating Schwarma? Farts? Baby's who **** themselves? Personally I find people who bathe in axe more offensive than just about any other smell.

Ban em all from the arena. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad