The Official Ottawa Sports Radio Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Just look at Redblacks games.. They have a smoking cage, that is almost always full.

Probably about 200 to 300 people in there, which rotate in and out, so I'd wager there are probably close to 2000 that smoke during the course of the game.

That's not counting the people who scan out to smoke (as they allow you to scan out at TD Place).

I have no clue why people dismiss this as a reason so instantly.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Just look at Redblacks games.. They have a smoking cage, that is almost always full.

Probably about 200 to 300 people in there, which rotate in and out, so I'd wager there are probably close to 2000 that smoke during the course of the game.

That's not counting the people who scan out to smoke (as they allow you to scan out at TD Place).

I have no clue why people dismiss this as a reason so instantly.

Often times smoking goes hand and hand with drinking (see: bar scene). It is inevitable in an environment that there is alcohol everywhere to have people who want to smoke.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That's not counting the people who scan out to smoke (as they allow you to scan out at TD Place

I had no idea that you could do that....interesting. That explains why it seemed like it was such a big deal at the Women's World Cup when they said that could not exit and then enter again.

Anyway, totally agree that it seems reasonable to provide some way to allow smokers to partake in their legal habit. You should make it as easy as possible for your customers to buy your product.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I had no idea that you could do that....interesting. That explains why it seemed like it was such a big deal at the Women's World Cup when they said that could not exit and then enter again.

Anyway, totally agree that it seems reasonable to provide some way to allow smokers to partake in their legal habit. You should make it as easy as possible for your customers to buy your product.

May as well take this debate elsewhere, LEE VERSAGE DISAGREES!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
:facepalm:

It's like you're purposely writing obtuse comments. Comparing smokers having to board a plane vs willingly go to a hockey game is a completely different animal, and I know you see the difference.

We had a big discussion on this in the attendance thread already, and some very good posts were made about this subject. The smoking ban at the CTC is a legitimate issue and it is impacting ticket sales IMO. I don't see why you think coming up with a solution to this doesn't warrant some constructive thought and perhaps a compromise to allow smokers to do their thing.

I personally wouldn't be using the smoking areas, but I can clearly see the need for a spot to let the people puff if they want. Ya, smoking is unhealthy and kills people. But we have reached a point where if you smoke, society treats you like the devil. For a world where tolerance is supposed to be on the rise, the smoking issue is the exact opposite and is alienating people due to their LEGAL habit.
Obtuse? If you can take a 4+ hour flight without lighting up why can't they hold off for 2.5? I guess you are all for smoking on planes again? Smoking sections in restaurants?

The majority of people who attend games don't smoke or can wait.
You don't speak for all smokers.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Obtuse? If you can take a 4+ hour flight without lighting up why can't they hold off for 2.5? I guess you are all for smoking on planes again? Smoking sections in restaurants?

The majority of people who attend games don't smoke or can wait.
You don't speak for all smokers.

Because they NEED to board that plane. They don't NEED to go to a hockey game. They can still watch the game in a different way, and spend those entertainment dollars on something else.

You can't be so dense not to understand the difference here. Can you?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Because they NEED to board that plane. They don't NEED to go to a hockey game. They can still watch the game in a different way, and spend those entertainment dollars on something else.

You can't be so dense not to understand the difference here. Can you?
If you can sacrifice for one why not the other? It has nothing to do with being dense but the fact that you can't control your habit.

They probably received more complaints than they have people smoking.

When you go to the movies can you hold it or do you need a smoke every 30 minutes? Do you have scheduled breaks at work like every 2 hours or does your boss say " yeah every 30 minutes go out and a smoke"?

Do you cater to the few over the majority?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If you can sacrifice for one why not the other? It has nothing to do with being dense but the fact that you can't control your habit.

When you go to the movies can you hold it or do you need a smoke every 30 minutes? Do you have scheduled breaks at work like every 2 hours or does your boss say " yeah every 30 minutes go out and a smoke"?

There is no reasoning with you. :laugh:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Pretty bad comparison.

On a plane you get in trouble for smoking so of course you have to deal with it? At hockey games there are these things called intermissions where you don't have to miss watching what you pay for vs if you skip a movie to go smoke you've missed parts of the movie.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Often times smoking goes hand and hand with drinking (see: bar scene). It is inevitable in an environment that there is alcohol everywhere to have people who want to smoke.
Did the smoking ban hurt the club scene? Did 20 somethings say they were not going to go clubbing anymore? You make adjustments.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Did the smoking ban hurt the club scene? Did 20 somethings say they were not going to go clubbing anymore? You make adjustments.

Bars went out of business with the smoking ban. Others lost money.

It took a while for the scene to recover.

Nobody is saying that the smoking ban is going to kill the Senators, or the chief reason for the attendance drop. Only that some people, many even, are choosing not to go because of it.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

Okay I am not going to debate to you the physiological effects of smoking since it is clear you are completely unfamiliar with it. Which is strange because it is very well documented. What I will say is when a smoker (smokers still fill a large demographic whether you like it or not) is going out to a game, having a good time, having a couple pops, the desire to smoke is almost uncontrollable. It is the most alluring thing to a smoker. Having a few beers without a cigarette is like a poutine without cheese curds. This is where people are turned off. The air quality excuse is complete BS. The outside air is not vented into the building, the only thing smokers will bring in is a stinky jacket.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Pretty bad comparison.

On a plane you get in trouble for smoking so of course you have to deal with it? At hockey games there are these things called intermissions where you don't have to miss watching what you pay for vs if you skip a movie to go smoke you've missed parts of the movie.
No one is forcing you to go to a game either. It's not a bad comparison. You don't have to take a plane. If smoking is that important to you make adjustments like driving or take a boat. Might not be convenient but oh well.

There is such a thing as people who abuse cigarettes too you know. The ones who smell like ash trays. If I am putting down thousands of dollars for season tickets and the person next to me is a chain smoker with season tickets I should not have my experience hindered because of it. I am not hindering the smoker with clean air or am I?

I am all for people having the right to do as they please as long as it doesn't harm others. It's one thing to have a smoke and then eat a piece of gum, It's another to show up with a nicotine stench on top of powerhauling 4 smokes in 15 minutes. I know the difference.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
No one is forcing you to go to a game either. It's not a bad comparison. You don't have to take a plane. If smoking is that important to you make adjustments like driving or take a boat. Might not be convenient but oh well.

There is such a thing as people who abuse cigarettes too you know. The ones who smell like ash trays. If I am putting down thousands of dollars for season tickets and the person next to me is a chain smoker with season tickets I should not have my experience hindered because of it. I am not hindering the smoker with clean air or am I?

I am all for people having the right to do as they please as long as it doesn't harm others. It's one thing to have a smoke and then eat a piece of gum, It's another to show up with a nicotine stench on top of powerhauling 4 smokes in 15 minutes. I know the difference.

You can't be serious with your statement regarding planes.

Buying season tickets next to a smoker is out of your control. Bad luck if anything but they aren't doing anything wrong.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Bars went out of business with the smoking ban. Others lost money.

It took a while for the scene to recover.

Nobody is saying that the smoking ban is going to kill the Senators, or the chief reason for the attendance drop. Only that some people, many even, are choosing not to go because of it.
That's Life.

When business did recover was it from people quitting smoking or was it smokers adjusting their habit?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
A mix of both I'd say.

Are you still arguing with me? Or did we like agree on something?
tumblr_nsksjozTnH1u6osmfo1_500.gif

:nod:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Aw man, I had a big post with quotes and retorts and stuff ready but the ending to that discussion is just too good to restart.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
That's Life.

When business did recover was it from people quitting smoking or was it smokers adjusting their habit?

You can smoke at a bar by going outside.

The problem with a total smoking ban at CTC is it really hurts a very lucrative base of fans. The biggest demo of people that still smoke is blue collar workers in their late 30's to 50's. The contractors, farmers, people that own their own businesses. People that often are outside or drive around working. The people that are at Home Depot buying supplies at 7 AM.

Sure smoking rates are down, especially for younger people and those that work in offices and for the government. But there are tons of people with actual money who are literally the perfect demo for the Senators that still smoke. Maybe 25-30% of this demo still smokes. And they have a huge amount of money that they want to spend going to games. Except going to a game is no longer enjoyable if they get inside the arena at 6:50 and leave at 10:30 and can't smoke.

3 and a half hours is too long for a daily smoker that smokes 20 cigarettes a day to enjoy anything without having to smoke. Especially if they drink a beer or two or eat concession food.

With the corporate situation the way it is in the city, so much of government economy, the Senators are really hurting themselves by alienating the most hardcore of their fans, blue collar middle aged fans who still smoke.

And it goes farther then just actual smokers. If you are in a party that regular attends games together if only one in the group smokes the whole group may choose to not attend as many games. If you have a couple and only 1 of them smoke, you lose both. A handful of coworkers... might choose to go watch at a bar if 1 or 2 of the group smoke.

I think the outright smoking ban is costing the Senators minimum 1000-2000 seats a game. And alienating some of their most hardcore and high $$$$ customers. I think high income smokers are likely very free spenders too. They likely drink more beer, spend more on concessions and buying merchandise then average fans.

I think the Sens have unknowing shot themselves in the foot super hard with a complete ban on smoking. I hope they realize it sooner then later.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Does anyone remember the smoking area outside Gate 1 when they had it?

It was at least a good thousand people each intermission.

Most of those people don't go anymore. Those people were there with others, that may not of smoked, but they don't go anymore either. It's a ripple effect.

It has become a nuisance to go to a live game, whether people like to admit it or not, or the fact that all the new measures don't personally bother you, it doesn't matter to someone who does believe that it's just easier to stay home.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You can smoke at a bar by going outside.

The problem with a total smoking ban at CTC is it really hurts a very lucrative base of fans. The biggest demo of people that still smoke is blue collar workers in their late 30's to 50's. The contractors, farmers, people that own their own businesses. People that often are outside or drive around working. The people that are at Home Depot buying supplies at 7 AM.

Sure smoking rates are down, especially for younger people and those that work in offices and for the government. But there are tons of people with actual money who are literally the perfect demo for the Senators that still smoke. Maybe 25-30% of this demo still smokes. And they have a huge amount of money that they want to spend going to games. Except going to a game is no longer enjoyable if they get inside the arena at 6:50 and leave at 10:30 and can't smoke.

3 and a half hours is too long for a daily smoker that smokes 20 cigarettes a day to enjoy anything without having to smoke. Especially if they drink a beer or two or eat concession food.

With the corporate situation the way it is in the city, so much of government economy, the Senators are really hurting themselves by alienating the most hardcore of their fans, blue collar middle aged fans who still smoke.

And it goes farther then just actual smokers. If you are in a party that regular attends games together if only one in the group smokes the whole group may choose to not attend as many games. If you have a couple and only 1 of them smoke, you lose both. A handful of coworkers... might choose to go watch at a bar if 1 or 2 of the group smoke.

I think the outright smoking ban is costing the Senators minimum 1000-2000 seats a game. And alienating some of their most hardcore and high $$$$ customers. I think high income smokers are likely very free spenders too. They likely drink more beer, spend more on concessions and buying merchandise then average fans.

I think the Sens have unknowing shot themselves in the foot super hard with a complete ban on smoking. I hope they realize it sooner then later.
Good points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad