The official Loui Eriksson thread (aka the official Tyler Seguin thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sorry, but half you guys could net 5 points playing with 37. 21 has been soft, slow, and invisible other than one off his ankle while facing the goalie and another off the shaft of his stick waiving it around like Sean Avery.

No one is broken hearted about the deal other than the return to date.

While planting himself in a spot we rarely saw Seguin stand:shakehead

Not one fan here has stated they are beyond pumped about his early season start, but truth is, Loui has never been a game breaker, end to end speed guy. His game is like Bergy`s, slow and steady, and while it`s taken him some time to fully understand the system and put some chemistry together with #37, he has been far from slow, far from soft (soft players aren`t willing to take a beating in front of the net) and far from invisible.

He`s going to only get more comfortable and confident. For all that invisible and soft play, still managed to "luck" his way into 9pts in 14 games, has to be doin something right

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Because if you put him on the third line it became completely ineffective.

Moving Seguin there was about making 3 lines work, nothing else. And that did, line 3 was one of Boston's best in the finals. Julien said from the second series on he was happy with both Seguins game and effort, and that he felt he was just ridiculously snake bitten. Seguin even approached Julien for advice in how he could be the biggest benefit to the team in his 3rd line role... sounds like an immature selfish little ******* eh?

And DKH can ***** all he wants about a turnover on the powerplay, something that happens time and time again, but Boston lost that series in the final game with 2 minutes left. They were up by 1, just had to hold the lead and they failed. The lines in those final minutes were an altered line 3 with Peverley in Seguins spot, and the Krejci/Lucic/Horton line which were abused on both goals for Chicago's comeback.

Truth hurts but there it is, there are lots of things you can blame the playoff loss on last year but Seguin was no where near the biggest. It's simply convenient.

^^^^. This x 100...

I don't mean to get away from the actual trade discussion, but - while Segs didn't have a great playoffs, he was far from a liability, and certainly not "the" reason Chicago beat us.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Because if you put him on the third line it became completely ineffective.

Moving Seguin there was about making 3 lines work, nothing else. And that did, line 3 was one of Boston's best in the finals. Julien said from the second series on he was happy with both Seguins game and effort, and that he felt he was just ridiculously snake bitten. Seguin even approached Julien for advice in how he could be the biggest benefit to the team in his 3rd line role... sounds like an immature selfish little ******* eh?

And DKH can ***** all he wants about a turnover on the powerplay, something that happens time and time again, but Boston lost that series in the final game with 2 minutes left. They were up by 1, just had to hold the lead and they failed. The lines in those final minutes were an altered line 3 with Peverley in Seguins spot, and the Krejci/Lucic/Horton line which were abused on both goals for Chicago's comeback.

Truth hurts but there it is, there are lots of things you can blame the playoff loss on last year but Seguin was no where near the biggest. It's simply convenient.

Some here would blame it on Kessel/Thomas/Thornton etc....:sarcasm:

The only regret that I have is that the B`s top players weren`t healthy. Now, Toews and I believe Hossa weren`t either but man would it have been fun to see a completely 100% healthy lineup on both sides

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Soft. Slow. Uninspired. And he even throws in a Sean Avery comparison.

Legendary!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
^^^^. This x 100...

I don't mean to get away from the actual trade discussion, but - while Segs didn't have a great playoffs, but he was far from a liability, and certainly not "the" reason Chicago beat us.

In my opinion,and maybe the brass after what happened,his non production was reason number 1 that this team may have won it's last cup in 2011. The best players need to be the best players and he was inept. Forget about the hustle,plenty of brainless,shy hockey players hustle their ***** off and it amounts to squat. Blame injuries,poor coaching or whatever else you want to blame. The team's number 1 offensive talent was a no show,shows he's capable of 1 goal in 24 of the most important games of a season. But but but,he backchecked....sigh,what did that get them?

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
I swear. Some people are still so broken hearted about Seguin that's it's like they're rooting for Eriksson to fail.

No one is broken hearted about the deal other than the return to date.

You and a boatload of others appear to be. Hali33 is correct: it does seem like folks are rooting for Eriksson to fail in order to justify their butthurt over losing Seguin. Reilly Smith has been a very good pick-up for the Bruins. Eriksson has struggled, but then as he appeared to be fitting into the line he got concussed, and that was a big set back. Now he's back and he appears to be starting to gel with his line again. As difficult and distasteful as this may be, you might consider giving him some more time to recover from the concussion. He seems to be getting back on track and time is what he will need.

Sorry, but half you guys could net 5 points playing with 37. 21 has been soft, slow, and invisible other than one off his ankle while facing the goalie and another off the shaft of his stick waiving it around like Sean Avery.

Pure nonsense! Jagr struggled to get points with Bergeron. Marchand has struggled. Seguin is not on the team anymore because he couldn't do it. You're grasping at whatever you can, whether it makes sense or not, to downplay the trade and make it look as bad as you can make it. Time will probably not be on your side when it comes time to evaluate the trade.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
^^^^. This x 100...

I don't mean to get away from the actual trade discussion, but - while Segs didn't have a great playoffs, he was far from a liability, and certainly not "the" reason Chicago beat us.

Seguin played better as the playoffs went on. But we didn't need him to just play better, we needed him to score goals, which he did not do and it was a big reason why the management team wanted to move on from him.

Last edited:

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I agree that Seguin seeing himself as untouchable led to some lack luster play.

And if Seguin was still with this team I am not convinced he would have half the points he currently has.

Eriksson is different-he isn't flashy but he isn't afraid of the dirty areas and he is getting the system. He is making things happen and is good away from the puck. And best thing-I haven't seen him fly across the blue line and attempt to stick handle through 2 or 3 D-men yet.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I agree that Seguin seeing himself as untouchable led to some lack luster play.

And if Seguin was still with this team I am not convinced he would have half the points he currently has.

Eriksson is different-he isn't flashy but he isn't afraid of the dirty areas and he is getting the system. He is making things happen and is good away from the puck. And best thing-I haven't seen him fly across the blue line and attempt to stick handle through 2 or 3 D-men yet.

To the bolded- no way. He's getting 19:13 TOI/game and simply play his game.

Here, in Claude's system working towards a championship, I doubt he'd be close to the numbers he has now. The trade itself probably has helped in the form of motivation, too.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Here, in Claude's system working towards a championship, I doubt he'd be close to the numbers he has now. The trade itself probably has helped in the form of motivation, too.

I saw he had 7:22 of PPTOI the other day. Only Krug gets that here!!!

Kaoz*

They were going to play the next game in Chicago without Bergeron, you really think they lost the entire series on that shift? Please.

The killer was the 3rd line going -3 in a 3 OT game 1. If they play even just below average that night Seidenberg and Chara don't looked gassed the rest of the series and we ride the momentum of the Pens series.

It's funny, you have one idea of the biggest issue during that series, I have another, others have others still... points to the fact that it was many small things that added up to it. End of the day Chicago was better, and that's all it boils down to.

Regarding your specific example though their team also played through that 3 OT game, only Kelly went -3 in that game, Pevs a -2, Paille was a-2 and Seguin a -1. The first Chicago goal came with Krejci's line on the ice, the second came amidst a horrible line change by the second line, the line coming on never had a chance to get in the play (no idea how Daugivans managed to get away without a minus on this play, he was on the ice nut I think they may have given the minus to Seguin for some reason instead), and the third goal came with a wonky line of Kelly, Paille and Thornton on there. In OT it was Kelly, Paille, and Peverley.

I can't honestly say that I agree with that specific assessment. The only two players who seemed to have a hard time in that game to me were Krug and McQuaid.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
As difficult and distasteful as this may be, you might consider giving him some more time to recover from the concussion. He seems to be getting back on track and time is what he will need.

Pure nonsense! Jagr struggled to get points with Bergeron. Marchand has struggled. Seguin is not on the team anymore because he couldn't do it. You're grasping at whatever you can, whether it makes sense or not, to downplay the trade and make it look as bad as you can make it. Time will probably not be on your side when it comes time to evaluate the trade.

Again for those who need to understand the issues that some here have with the Seguin trade from not only Loui's fit with the Bruins to Seguin's performance with the Stars.

The Bruins and Cloude did not like the way Kessel played the game over all and traded him for a very nice return, two first and a second. Now there was a great deal of luck landing the #2 overall, but whatever, Chia received value for a young goal scorer. The return for the skill and untapped potential was right by most accounts. btw, as we all know Kessell is playing like a man in TOR as he has grown up a bit, amazing...

The Bruins after losing a painful Stanley Cup decide that Seguin's antics at 21 were too much to bear, I leave that up the team but I strongly disagree because of his age and potential as a player, and deal him under a shroud of "not a Bruins type player" and he was not growing into a pro with a sprinkling of salary cap concerns for flavor. Fine.

Timeline:

June 25th, the Bruins lose to the Blackhawks in stunning fashion as they fold late after appearing to be headed to game 7.

July 4th, the Bruins trade Seguin and Peverley (+change) to that Stars for Eriksson plus three other players.

So 9 days after the cup collapse the Bruins deal one of their top 5 pieces in terms of value and arguably their most tradeable asset with the most pure hockey skill while still having a considerable upside for a player that does not seem to address the Bruins need yet again of a goal scorer. Eriksson is a two way guy that had benefited from being on Dallas' #1 line and PP. Fine, everyone likes Eriksson's game, I concede that.

The argument from most people here that seems legitimate is that Chia traded a very good young potential star player for what appears to lesser quality players that will place the Bruins in the same spot come this spring and that is a lack of pure scoring talent.

I believe nobody here hates Loui, all of us that are Bruins fans want to see him do well and hell let him pull a Horton and be a playoff hero.

What the anti trade people are tired of hearing from this organization is "let him get acclimated", he is a 28 year old pro he should have come in here with something to prove, "two way player" we have the best one in the league in Bergeron and this was not an issue in the 2013 finals, and finally Seguin's production and fulfillment of his potential can not be ignored as he playing very well in a role the Bruins were seeming to never give him a shot at. We all know about the Scott hit and understand that factors in, his start to the season sucked which cannot be denied.

The Bruins could have revived a lot more for Seguin, Bobby Ryan was traded not long after for for a couple of moderate prospects and a first rounder. There seems to have been a hasty decision to deal Seguin and unlike the Kessel deal, on its face the latest deal lacks the return needed for trading yet another highly skilled player.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Again for those who need to understand the issues that some here have with the Seguin trade from not only Loui's fit with the Bruins to Seguin's performance with the Stars...

You know, I wouldn't mind reading your opinion on this but I just hate it when someone such as yourself assumes they know more than others regarding something as relatively abstract as the reasons a GM and his front office staff might affect a trade such as the Seguin/Peverly trade for Eriksson/Reilly/Morrow/Fraser.

Again, you might think you know all there is to know about it but in all actuality you are pretty much guessing like everyone else and assuming your guess is correct. Check the preachy attitude, oh all-knowing-one, and I might deign to read your opinion. Otherwise, forget it.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
In my opinion,and maybe the brass after what happened,his non production was reason number 1 that this team may have won it's last cup in 2011. The best players need to be the best players and he was inept. Forget about the hustle,plenty of brainless,shy hockey players hustle their ***** off and it amounts to squat. Blame injuries,poor coaching or whatever else you want to blame. The team's number 1 offensive talent was a no show,shows he's capable of 1 goal in 24 of the most important games of a season. But but but,he backchecked....sigh,what did that get them?

Brad Marchand was the Bruins leading scorer in 2012/13 and the guy did absolutely nothing in the 'hawks series (not so much as a secondary assist)...

qc

Aug 23, 2011
So 9 days after the cup collapse the Bruins deal one of their top 5 pieces in terms of value and arguably their most tradeable asset with the most pure hockey skill while still having a considerable upside for a player that does not seem to address the Bruins need yet again of a goal scorer. Eriksson is a two way guy that had benefited from being on Dallas' #1 line and PP. Fine, everyone likes Eriksson's game, I concede that.

The argument from most people here that seems legitimate is that Chia traded a very good young potential star player for what appears to lesser quality players that will place the Bruins in the same spot come this spring and that is a lack of pure scoring talent.

I believe nobody here hates Loui, all of us that are Bruins fans want to see him do well and hell let him pull a Horton and be a playoff hero.

But just yesterday you shared this insightful thought...

Seems as though you're talking out of both ends of your mouth, no?

--------------------------------------------------

And I'm curious as to why you think Loui shouldn't need some time to get acclimated into our system before clicking. He spent his entire career on a different team with different linemates/coaching systems, is it that outrageous to see why he may need some time to adjust in Boston? Some players are capable of jumping right into a completely new environment without missing a beat, but not all players. Obviously Loui's transition has been far from seamless, but what makes you think he is doomed to ever fit in? To me, it looks like he's getting more comfortable out there with each passing game.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Brad Marchand was the Bruins leading scorer in 2012/13 and the guy did absolutely nothing in the 'hawks series (not so much as a secondary assist)...
Seguin did nothing in any series,including the 2 weeks prior. 1 goal in 24 games is a very very difficult achievement.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

I agree. I think Seguin is happy he got traded. Now he gets to be 1C, get the pp time, in a freer system, he's playing with Benn. It's a pretty ideal situation for him now. I remember arguing with Leaf fans who said when he scored points in Boston it was only because of Boston, it wasn't because he was on Boston, Boston actually held his production back with less minutes pp time and not in his natural position.

Trade will probably be a win-win and benefit Dallas more but Seguin suits Dallas much better and the Bruins aren't going to change their system of defensive responsibilities of the center for 1 player.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Seguin did nothing in any series,including the 2 weeks prior. 1 goal in 24 games is a very very difficult achievement.

I don't mean to sound argumentative (I'm actually a fan of the trade), it's just that so many posters here claim that Seguin was completely useless in the playoffs and cost us the Cup because of it...

While he certainly wasn't great, he wasn't as bad as some here make him out to be (he had a nice primary assist on Pie's ot winner in gamer 2). I recall him setting up players with great scoring chances numerous times. Their inability to bury the puck hurt him as well.

Funny how nobody brings up 2012 playoffs When the B's were knocked out by the Caps in 7 (when Seguin outscored Bergeron, Lucic and Marchand combined)... No one would think of blaming Bergeron for the Bruins being eliminated that year, correct?

On a side note, I honestly don't know why the Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin line was broken up, as it was one of the most dominate lines in the NHL for long stretches last year. That more than anything neutered Segs in the playoffs. Damn 3rd line was a black hole all year...

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
I don't mean to sound argumentative (I'm actually a fan of the trade), it's just that so many posters here claim that Seguin was completely useless in the playoffs and cost us the Cup because of it...

While he certainly wasn't great, he wasn't as bad as some here make him out to be (he had a nice primary assist on Pie's ot winner in gamer 2). I recall him setting up players with great scoring chances numerous times. Their inability to bury the puck hurt him as well.

Funny how nobody brings up 2012 playoffs When the B's were knocked out by the Caps in 7 (when Seguin outscored Bergeron, Lucic and Marchand combined)... No one would think of blaming Bergeron for the Bruins being eliminated that year, correct?

On a side note, I honestly don't know why the Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin line was broken up, as it was one of the most dominate lines in the NHL for long stretches last year. That more than anything neutered Segs in the playoffs. Damn 3rd line was a black hole all year...

They were absolutely rotten against the Leafs, couldn't sustain any pressure in the offensive zone at all - once Jagr got in there at least they could get a cycle going.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Seguin faltered down the stretch last year and got demoted. I won't give him any credit for an an absolutely absurd stretch of negative impact playoff hockey. He's a finesse player who is a square in a round hole here. I hope he has a HOF career but doubt he'll ever win the Conn Smythe.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Seguin was not a fit on this team as Gaborek wouldn't be a fit: they are one-dimensional players, albeit very good at that single dimension. Seguin needs to be treated like a star in order to succeed. That was not going to happen in Boston. Same was true of Kessel. Maybe that means we have a bad plan, but recent success would say otherwise.

Now, if Seguin grows into a great all around player this will prove to be a bad trade. I don't think that will be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad