The official Loui Eriksson thread (aka the official Tyler Seguin thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
thought this was worth noting from the other thread:
Jean_Jacket41 said:
Again, since it's a Loui thread, some stats about him:

10-2-1 when he's in the lineup
2-3-0 when he's not
picking up his production with 1g-3a in his last 4 games (all wins)

Still 64 more training games for him before meaningfull game #1 of the season in April...

Honestly I think in 2 or 3 months we'll look back and laugh at the panic here once the 2nd line has had a couple of hot streaks and Loui has become a regular contributor.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
So he was the only guy who celebrated that cup win? :naughty:

I just hope you're trolling at this point, amigo. :laugh:

How do you label this (what you were quoting) as celebrating a cup win?

trade parties, pics of him passed out (presumably not sober), "hacked" tweets, hanging out with an all-star team of ya-bro DBs, etc. What was that tweet Daisy Buchanan's sent out after he was dealt? Something about how the nightlife in Boston just improved?

Marchand was Seguin's partner in crime for cup festivities. Somehow, he managed to avoid all of the situations brought up by BoyntBergie.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly: Or Eriksson, Seguin, and the trade

Since people were complaining that the Eriksson was getting overrun by discussions of Seguin and the trade, I figured it may be worthwhile to have one thread that encompasses everything. Mods can close this if they want, but since it's a hot topic right now, it may be nice to have it all in one place....

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Marchand was Seguin's partner in crime for cup festivities. Somehow, he managed to avoid all of the situations brought up by BoyntBergie.

I sarcastically included Seguin in the thread title...was actually hoping the Seguin crap as it relates to Loui would just die already.

I know, I know, LSCII is going to say "they will always be linked by the trade, deal with it"...sorry but Seguin's partying has nothing to do with Loui. It's one thing to compare the performance of both guys going forward...that's inevitable. but, beating the dead horse that is "reasons for trading Tyler Seguin" doesn't really have a place in a Loui Eriksson discussion. Just my opinion. And yeah, call me the thread police, I don't care. I'd just like to be able to talk about Loui without having to wade through 3 pages of Seguin crap every time I check the thread.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Because he's still viewed as part of the core, for now. If he doesn't produce and gets moved, I'm sure we'll all hear about it then...:laugh:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Since people were complaining that the Eriksson was getting overrun by discussions of Seguin and the trade, I figured it may be worthwhile to have one thread that encompasses everything. Mods can close this if they want, but since it's a hot topic right now, it may be nice to have it all in one place....

lol did this really get rolled into the Eriksson thread? I commend you for trying. Guess the mods are fine with 90% of the "Eriksson" discussion being about Seguin's time in Boston (because that makes lots of sense)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I sarcastically included Seguin in the thread title...was actually hoping the Seguin crap as it relates to Loui would just die already.

I know, I know, LSCII is going to say "they will always be linked by the trade, deal with it"...sorry but Seguin's partying has nothing to do with Loui. It's one thing to compare the performance of both guys going forward...that's inevitable. but, beating the dead horse that is "reasons for trading Tyler Seguin" doesn't really have a place in a Loui Eriksson discussion. Just my opinion. And yeah, call me the thread police, I don't care. I'd just like to be able to talk about Loui without having to wade through 3 pages of Seguin crap every time I check the thread.

Hey! This is the first thing you've said in a long time that I agree with. It has zero to do with Eriksson and why he's here. What does have to do with that is the lack of production last year and in the playoffs. That's why Loui is in Boston and Tyler is in Dallas. That's what it's always been about, which is why I called the booze and party stories nothing but spin. :laugh:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
lol did this really get rolled into the Eriksson thread? I commend you for trying. Guess the mods are fine with 90% of the "Eriksson" discussion being about Seguin's time in Boston (because that makes lots of sense)

I got a kick of that, to be honest. :laugh:

BergyDGD

Rock Chalk Jayhawk
Jun 25, 2007
City of Champions,MA

With the numbers Seguin is putting up including last night's 4 goal and an assist outburst I wouldn't expect it to die off. Really at the end of the day all I care about is the Bruins winning. Eriksson might not put up Seguin numbers but in the words of Herb Brooks, "I'm not looking for the best players - I'm looking for the right players".

qc

Aug 23, 2011

I voiced similar sentiments with you (the other day). MMB tried to help us but the other thread didn't take off as planned. I personally want to keep this Loui-focused, but LSC left many of us confused prior to the 1st thread's closing (especially on the last 2 pages).

Because he's still viewed as part of the core, for now. If he doesn't produce and gets moved, I'm sure we'll all hear about it then...:laugh:

I'll just accept this as being the closest you'll ever get to admitting that you were revising history, and that there were plenty of questions and concerns about TS while he was a Bruin, and prior to last seasons playoffs. :D

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
With the numbers Seguin is putting up including last night's 4 goal and an assist outburst I wouldn't expect it to die off. Really at the end of the day all I care about is the Bruins winning. Eriksson might not put up Seguin numbers but in the words of Herb Brooks, "I'm not looking for the best players - I'm looking for the right players".

Exactly what this trade boils down to :handclap:

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
The very fact that the Bruins are 12-5-1 at this juncture (including a span of games WITHOUT Loui in the lineup in which the team went 2-3-0) says that at the very least the trade is working out just fine thus far.

And this is without Loui being fully acclimated to the system, in part due to a concussion that happened just as he seemed to be clicking with Bergy... i am confident we have yet to see Loui play his best Bruins hockey.

But Eriksson came back from that concussion without missing a beat... he's not *lighting up* the score sheet but he is still contributing -- both statistically and in ways not measured via statistics -- on a team that plays in a lot of low-scoring games.

The Bruins are winning with Eriksson playing a top-6 role. And when he was gone they were losing more than they were winning... that alone speaks volumes about Loui's effectiveness thus far.

And he's only warming up. Plus, people keep forgetting this was not a Seguin/Eriksson even swap. We also got a reliable 3rd liner who is the same age as Seguin, and from the very get-go has demonstrated some quality play-making ability.

Every winning team needs solid role players, and even IF Smith fails to improve at all from where he is now... his finding a niche as an above-average 3rd liner (ostensibly thus far, anyhow) makes him a noteworthy return in the Seguin trade. Period.

If the Bruins were a .500 team right now, we might have reason to revisit that trade. But they are not... instead the B's remain among the best teams in the NHL. That is what matters.

I wish Seguin the best, i think Dallas got what they wanted and when all is said and done Boston has/will have gotten what they wanted. I wish Tyler the best because nothing he does moving forward should have anything to do with the Boston Bruins' bottom line.

It's been said before on the old Loui thread but it's worth repeating. A trade does not need to have a designated "winner" and a designated "loser". Both teams can win, both teams can lose... that is the reality.

It's hard to imagine Loui Eriksson being less effective come playoff time than Tyler Seguin was last year. When the going gets tough come playoff time, i'd rather have Loui AND Reilly than an overwhelmed Seguin.

Lastly, none of what i just commented on even takes into account the cap considerations of the trade. This trade directly helped facilitate the B's FO to lock up BOTH Rask and Bergy (as opposed to just one of them), AND also sign Iginla -- who is fitting in with Looch and Krejci like a glove -- on top of closing the aforementioned big contracts.

Single-minded people who just look at box score stats and compare Loui vs. Tyler are missing the big picture here. Chia had so much more to consider when pulling the trigger on Seguin than "will Loui score more goals than Tyler will in Dallas??"

In any case, it is still early in the season. Tyler is one of those people who needed a reality check... he is now playing with a chip on his shoulder that he would not have if he remained in Boston. And he is playing better for it.

Too bad he couldn't motivate himself enough while he was here, but that's how it goes. The kid felt like he was untouchable and played like he thought that way... the wake-up call did him good.

Joe Morrow will surprise people within a couple years' time... too. That is all.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I wonder what kind of hair gel Loui uses. I bet it's imported. :amazed:

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
The most frustrating thing about the aftermath of this trade is that people keep leaving Smith out of the discussion. That kid has been absolutely awesome for us and reminds me a ton of rookie Marchand in the way he's making things happen on seemingly every shift.

As for Loui, he's starting to gel with both Bergeron and Marchand in the offensive zone, but he's still making some bad possession plays in the other 2 zones. He still seems hesistant...sometimes he'll hang on to the puck a little too long and it will result in a turnover. I think that will get better soon as it's a mental issue more than anything...I think he's just trying to do maybe a little too much defensively to compensate for his lack of production.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Yes, the above post along with you only being capable of talking about your son and a dogs tail I would say was you bowing out of the discussion

Dude, you need to learn the meaning of the word "sarcasm"...

And what are you talking about my son (a US Marine) & a dogs tail? Is that you being some witty sort of internet tough guy?

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004

Thanks brother. I had typed out a similar reply but then it was closed by the time I posted it. None of that that was post-Cup run. It was all post Cup loss when Seguin was a passenger. But yeah, that's "spin".

Hey! This is the first thing you've said in a long time that I agree with. It has zero to do with Eriksson and why he's here. What does have to do with that is the lack of production last year and in the playoffs. That's why Loui is in Boston and Tyler is in Dallas. That's what it's always been about, which is why I called the booze and party stories nothing but spin. :laugh:

You don't know what spin is and you've gone into your standard "I know I'm wrong so am just going to be irritating" position. Seen it before, not interested in discussing anything with you when you adopt it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Best thing to happen to Seguin was getting away from Julien. I like Loui and Smith, the team looks a lot better and deeper with them in the lineup.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I love his game. Strong and smart with the puck. Both he and Soderberg will be a huge source of stability and strength that the second and third lines have been lacking for, just about, ever.

Last edited:

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Thanks brother. I had typed out a similar reply but then it was closed by the time I posted it. None of that that was post-Cup run. It was all post Cup loss when Seguin was a passenger. But yeah, that's "spin".

You don't know what spin is and you've gone into your standard "I know I'm wrong so am just going to be irritating" position. Seen it before, not interested in discussing anything with you when you adopt it.

Oh no. My life is over. How will I ever find the will to go on if you don't want to discuss things with me...:laugh:

For the record, my general rule of thumb is that if I'm arguing on the same side of a point as you, I must be either drunk, or have fallen and hit my head. :laugh:

Eriksson has played well below his normal level this season. I don't know how that's even debatable. Seguin was moved because the team no longer felt he was going to continue to develop here. Nothing more needs to be said as to why the trade happened, IMO.

What is still debatable is whether they got enough in return for him, and if the skill set Eriksson brings is too similar to a number of players they already had on the roster. That's the one thing people don't want to talk about. How many good but not great, two way players does one team really need? Can a team with no dynamic scorers actually succeed? If they had an elite offensive player last year in the finals, would that have made a difference? Seems to me, that having to rely on the defense to score goals finally caught up to them, right when it mattered most. Watching them this year, it appears they're right back doing it again.

BoyntBergie

Mar 9, 2004
I love his game. Strong and smart with the puck. Both he and Soderberg will be provide a huge source of stability and strength that the second and third lines have been lacking for, just about, ever.

Agreed on both counts. Part of me wouldn't mind seeing Marchand down on the 3rd line for a bit and putting Soderberg with Eriksson, see if the 2 countrymen can get a bit of chemistry going together. That line would pretty much instantly be the highest hockey-IQ line in the league.

Kaoz*

"I want to create this Eriksson thread and not have anyone talk about Seguin in it so I'm going to put 'official Seguin thread' in the title... and then complain if anyone mentions Seguin in it"

logic.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad