GDT: The Official Los Angeles Playoff thread

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Well I'll be rooting for the Kings to go 0-82 next season. Thanks for nothing dickheads.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
I'm sure next year's draft will be nowhere near as deep as this summer.

Here's hoping the Kings are a lottery team next season.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Calgary's last two games are vs. LA and Winnipeg
Winnipeg's last two games are vs. Colorado and Calgary
LA's last two games are vs. Calgary and San Jose

Still chance for movement.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm sure next year's draft will be nowhere near as deep as this summer.

Yep.

Also, these overachieving teams like Calgary will fall back to Earth opening spots higher in the standings for the Kings, who I would expect to be at least a bit better than they are now.

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
LA has to win both games and Calgary has to lose both games.
If not then game over for LA

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Can I point out the irony of laughing at Toronto fans for getting upset at the results of the Carolina game, while at the same time getting upset at the results of the LA game? Or does that strike too close to home?

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Can I point out the irony of laughing at Toronto fans for getting upset at the results of the Carolina game, while at the same time getting upset at the results of the LA game? Or does that strike too close to home?

Every fan base does it. It's not irony if we don't act like we're high and mighty. Judging by many of the posters here, we don't take ourselves too seriously on this board.

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
The Kings can still pass the Jets if they win both games and the Jets lose both of theirs (1 OT loss permitted, Kings hold the tie-breaker)

edit: I think, forgot if it was wins or "row".

Last edited:

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
This draft isn't that deep guys. A low or mid round pick would have been like any other pick from another draft. McDavid, Eichel, and Hanifin are better prospects than the previous years but that's it

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The only reason I was interested in LA's pick this year was because we might have been able to package it with something to possibly move into the Top 10 of the draft.

But, of course, that was based on a lot of unlikely things happening. LA making the playoffs, another team being interested in moving down, and Francis finding the right package to make it happen without making things worse.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I guess LA could still make it, but man this sucks if they don't. The prospect of not having two firsts in this draft, after assuming we did...just sucks. I'll reiterate my indifference with the trade. Not really digging the lottery protection.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Kings would have been dumb to not include lottery protection given where they've been in the standings all year. I still say that it was a perfectly fine calculated risk by Ronnie to try and make a trade that would have given him the highest possible 1st rounder if everything went right. Any other trade where a team would have been confident enough not to include lottery protection would have included a much worse 1st. So worst case, we get the 1st next year in that position anyway. I don't love getting it next year if it happens that way, but given that everyone thought the Kings would have a good chance to put it together and get in, I understand why he did it. At the end of the day, I still like the value he got out of the trade no matter what with two good assets, and one more 1st than Rutherford was ever able to acquire.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
The Kings would have been dumb to not include lottery protection given where they've been in the standings all year. I still say that it was a perfectly fine calculated risk by Ronnie to try and make a trade that would have given him the highest possible 1st rounder if everything went right. Any other trade where a team would have been confident enough not to include lottery protection would have included a much worse 1st. So worst case, we get the 1st next year in that position anyway. I don't love getting it next year if it happens that way, but given that everyone thought the Kings would have a good chance to put it together and get in, I understand why he did it. At the end of the day, I still like the value he got out of the trade no matter what with two good assets, and one more 1st than Rutherford was ever able to acquire.

Agreed. The Sekera trade was darn near perfect. We got a top notch defensive prospect and a 1st round pick. Yup, we gain a year's development time if it is a 2015, but now, if LA doesn't pull a miracle, then we've got 2 1sts and 2 3rds next year already. For a rebuilding/retooling team, that's a nice bit of asset management.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Well, after seeing the Canes choke massively twice on the last day of the season, I'm all too aware that if the Flames lose to LA tomorrow it's not going to be easy for them going into Winnipeg on the last day needing to win.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
If LA wins vs. Calgary tomorrow and Winnipeg loses to Colorado then LA is guaranteed a Playoff spot with a win in their last game vs. San Jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad