The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
His value is not going to increase with him not playing hockey

Actually, it might... because a team can get him for the start of next season, with a bonus full ELC year if he sits the rest of this one out. If they bought him now, he'd have burned off a year by being on an NHL roster for two games. If they trade for him at the draft, they can get meet him in the off-season to get him going, then get him into camp really early and go from there. However if it is a case of Yzerman sending a message, as it might be, I have NO problem with that.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Because teams like Anaheim might want their guy for the playoffs (Vatanen) but would be willing to part with him in the off-season...

Because if he's getting only offers of picks and prospects then he'd just get those same offers again at the draft along with a window of opportunity for Drouin to raise his value or suck it up and play again.

He didn't get a roster player that'd help us for the playoffs, trading him or not trading him today has no effect on the Lightning anyways.

This is something nobody's considering but is very likely true. Especially when it comes to RFAs, they'd be a lot more likely to be on the table at the draft (we'd have to add, sure) than right now. Vatanen's the best example. No one knows what happened in the phone calls between Yzerman and other GMs, but I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think Yzerman asked for a player like Vatanen, and was told, "We can revisit that in the summer." It would make sense for Murray to dangle someone like Vatanen too, to make sure Yzerman hangs onto the asset.

We don't know. But as much as Drouin sitting out the rest of the year will hurt his value, no doubt, there should also be a number of players who will be available that aren't available now, as contenders gear up for their run at the cup. There's also added cap flexibility, which allows us to have a good look at all our options, not to mention the Stamkos situation will be sorted out, one way or another.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
There's still nothing preventing Drouin from being traded tomorrow as long as the return isn't an NHL player. I doubt that he'll be moved before the draft but it's not like he couldn't be. Non-playoff teams can stick him on their roster immediately.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Mainboards stupidity... rising... urge to flame... nearly irresistible.

ya especially love the yzerman has biggest ego in the nhl and only thinks of drouin as a commodity not a person lol

how anyone can think if he had played in syracuse 2 weeks and lit it up he wouldnt be on our team in playoffs shows how moronic most people really are

everyone always wants a scapegoat in this case it truly is vinik

love the he has to fire walsh even though walsh is stamkos agent and hedmans coming up and i hear johnsons but unverified lol so how is throwing drouin under a bus gonna help in other deals or throwing walsh under a bus

just stupidity and borderline criminal we got coop though so have a good lawyer haha

this is truly a sad case me people especially are lucky im not in charge id be willing to put drouin on suspension until he flat out went back to work and if that means he misses time till 2018-2019 id do that to make an example

so honestly drouin is lucky im not in charge and stevie is cause I would put his toes in the fire for real and i expect yzerman will move him and actually wants to move him

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
also this just have a team offer sheet him?

dont we have him signed if tolled till 2018-2019? so how would a team offer sheet him when his contract is not up? meaning we could force him out of nhl for not returning to work till that time correct?

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Funny how their title essentially says "Drouin not returning to Tampa Bay!!!111" and in the text it's all just speculation and "is believed to". Fine piece of journalism.

Much better and shows why it's not a bad thing Yzerman couldn't (or wouldn't) pull the trigger yesterday.

ya when read tsn report i was like what they called his mom to find this stuff out so fast or is this from agent right after tdl?

is guys every year drafted in say college football who flip flop for a whole year haha

whats to say drouin doesnt consider or reconsider?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I have a feeling Mr. Walsh will put something out there when they decide what they want to do.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
EDIT:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/jonathan-drouin-will-burn-year-off-entry-level-contract/

The second year of Jonathan Drouin’s entry-level contract will be burned off even if he doesn’t play another game this season, Sportsnet has learned.

Some around the NHL had wondered if the Tampa Bay Lightning might elect to try and toll the suspended forward’s contract, but deputy commissioner Bill Daly says they don’t have the option to do so.

“We haven’t previously had a practice of allowing clubs to toll partial season breaches,” Daly wrote Thursday in an email. “Had this been the last season of the contract, however, we may have entertained an argument for ‎some form of remedy or relief in this situation.”

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
Well, ethically, it should be tolled. He refused to play, the team didn't refuse to allow him to play. The team abided by the rules, as specifically written. Hogwash.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Yeah the only reason it won't be is because the league doesn't want to piss off the union.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
While it would boost Drouin's value a tad, I don't think it's going to make or break any deal anyway.

Now, this thing gets REALLY interesting if Yzerman can't find a move at the draft. My guess is he's already got something semi lined up though. Semi, because it might well be dependent on the Stamkos situation. E.g. Vatenan, who'll need a contract.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Not really surprised by this:

Yea part of me is happy we didn't trade him at the deadline. First because Yzerman wants to get the best deal he can.

Second because Drouin deserves to be suspended for his actions. He handled this in such a unprofessional and immature way that he deserves to be sitting out instead of playing.

There are so many guys who fought their way into this league and didn't have the talent he has. They worked hard to get where they are.

In professional sports it doesn't matter what kind of talent you have if your not going to do what your coach tells you.

If you aren't willing to put in the time to earn your way to more playing time then you deserve to be treated in a way that tells you that what you are doing is not acceptable and you need to work harder.

Drouin was a baby about this whole thing. Not only that but were not aware of who they were dealing with. Yzerman will never be a guy to put up with nonsense like this. They messed with the wrong guy.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Perfect justice would be for both Tampa and Syracuse to win their respective championships.

What a stark contrast this is to John Scott's story.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
ya especially love the yzerman has biggest ego in the nhl and only thinks of drouin as a commodity not a person lol

how anyone can think if he had played in syracuse 2 weeks and lit it up he wouldnt be on our team in playoffs shows how moronic most people really are

everyone always wants a scapegoat in this case it truly is vinik

love the he has to fire walsh even though walsh is stamkos agent and hedmans coming up and i hear johnsons but unverified lol so how is throwing drouin under a bus gonna help in other deals or throwing walsh under a bus

just stupidity and borderline criminal we got coop though so have a good lawyer haha

this is truly a sad case me people especially are lucky im not in charge id be willing to put drouin on suspension until he flat out went back to work and if that means he misses time till 2018-2019 id do that to make an example

so honestly drouin is lucky im not in charge and stevie is cause I would put his toes in the fire for real and i expect yzerman will move him and actually wants to move him
Don Meehan is Stamkos agent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad