The Official Jonathan Drouin Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014
Good for him and for us if everyting works out, either if it leads to a trade or if it can be worked out that he stays.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know that's how our players, who have know him for a year and a half, feel about him. Not so sure about the guys in Syracuse.

He was reportedly with the Syracuse scratched players the night he held out in Toronto. So that's a plus.

Boltster

Feb 29, 2016
Hello everyone!

I have been following HfBoards for a few years now, especially Tampa Bay forum. Finally registered. Im'a big fan from Finland. I have been cheering for Tampa since they joined the league. Mostly because they had cool logo and silly named goaltender :D Everything starts from something.

Anyway, it must have been tough for Drouin to watch the Lightning franchise record winning streak from sofa and he realised he has to work his way to the roster like anyone else.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Nice to see him come back, hopefully he plays every game like he does his first AHL game. Too bad Syracuse probably misses the playoffs as he's only gonna get a 15 game showcase.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He was reportedly with the Syracuse scratched players the night he held out in Toronto. So that's a plus.

if his teammates are vocal to the media about how much they like him as a human, then I imagine that certain segments of the fan population will ease off on booing/directing hatred towards him.

It's still going to happen though.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hello everyone!

I have been following HfBoards for a few years now, especially Tampa Bay forum. Finally registered. Im'a big fan from Finland. I have been cheering for Tampa since they joined the league. Mostly because they had cool logo and silly named goaltender :D Everything starts from something.

Anyway, it must have been tough for Drouin to watch the Lightning franchise record winning streak from sofa and he realised he has to work his way to the roster like anyone else.

Welcome!

Bolto

?
Nov 3, 2006
Spring Hill, FL
It's the only sensible thing he could do. He had zero leverage and sitting out was hurting him a lot more than it was hurting the Bolts. Hopefully he does well and brings his trade value up so we can get some decent draft picks for him. I don't seem him coming back up to Tampa but anything is possible.............................

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Hello everyone!

Welcome!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Crazy to think, but the best case scenario in all of this is he actually plays in TB this season (playoffs). For a couple of reasons. First, if he shows a willingness to play for Cooper after all this mess, it'll lift most of the red flags off him in terms of trade value. There's a lot to be said for a player willingly eating humble pie. Secondly, it opens up Yzerman's options. If we're not forced/pressured to trade him, but choose to trade him, we'll likely get more in a deal.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
if his teammates are vocal to the media about how much they like him as a human, then I imagine that certain segments of the fan population will ease off on booing/directing hatred towards him.

It's still going to happen though.

I'm sure they will just like I'm sure that some people will boo Stamkos when he plays in Tampa if he walks as a free agent. There will always be people that take these things personally. I think Tampa is better than most fanbases with that though. Just last night I watched Spezza getting vocally booed in Ottawa despite everything he did for that franchise. I hope we're better than that with Stamkos if it comes to it and the booers are just a few random voices blending into the crowd.

Lol this isn't really about Drouin but man I really hate crowds that boo whether it's their own current player(Schultz in EDM before the trade) or former player(Seguin in BOS despite never wanting to be traded). It's different if it's booing a dirty player for a past transgression but it's usually not.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
WTF!! He is coming back to play?!? So he didn't get traded, lost a bunch of money, stunted his development, ruined his reputation, not gonna get NHL minutes, will get booo'd by every fan in every arena, gave up on his teammates, will get GIFs made out of this situation for the next 10 years, and .....and now he decides to come back and play??

/insert what and idiot GIF with Drouin's face on it.

I can't even describe what I feel right now...its like a mixture of facepalm combined with a solid urge to just slap him upside the head and choke out his parents. Kid is a total trainwreck of a human being for doing this to himself.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
welcome him with open arms i hope is a john scott ending he wins the award for most dangerous guy in playoffs and we keep him myself

kids make mistakes we have all seen parents of tennis stars to me this is same situation i think a lot of this goes back to who he was when erne hit him and never got talked through that correctly stevie isnt a guy to coddle people cooper is also a str8 shooter so handling a 19 year old phenom can have bad endings or can be tough

i think we have all made enough mistakes welcome back jo dru now be who you can be make the playoffs and make a difference

thats my two cents i hope he excels makes the team and we ride him to the cup he does have talent like that on a team all year that struggled to score adding him is awesome

i thought he couldnt play in playoffs im pumped we can myself

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Calling Yzerman I'm sure wasn't easy but shows some maturity by taking responisbility for your actions, and I'm sure Yzerman don't hold any grudges if Drouin behaves and does well.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
re: Drouin calling to return, I wonder if Yzerman's post-TDL comments about the door still being open is what prompted it. Sometimes when people know they've ****ed up they can't imagine ever being able to go back and fix it. I give a lot of credit to SFY for making it clear that Drouin still had a path back if he wanted to take it. While I still wish he'd moved Drouin right after his trade request for maximum value I can't complain about anything else in how he's handled this difficult situation.

ganiseri

Feb 3, 2014
Hello everyone!

Welcome!

Torilla tavataan.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
This is a nice surprise.

Not surprising are the couple of dim bulbs on the main boards saying Yzerman lost. Honestly, if he comes back and plays like he can, maybe he ends up on the Lightning playoff roster, raises his trade value and we get really good depth for a run. Win-Win.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/drouin-returning-to-ahl-syracuse/2268268
GM Steve Yzerman hadn't talked with Drouin since reassigning him to Syracuse Jan. 3, but the touted wing called him last week after the trade deadline and "expresed an interest in returning to play."

"I guess I always felt it was a possibility," Yzerman said. "It was, if anything, a pleasant surprise."
But could Drouin earn a callup to the Lightning down the stretch in its playoff push?

"Yes," Yzerman said. "I will do what's best for the team and if Jonathan is playing well and is the right fit, I certainly wouldn't exclude that possibility."
"Speaking with him, he's indicated he's been skating and working hard," Yzerman said. "He's a pretty fit young man. Nothing prepares you for playing games like playing in games."
And while it's assumed Drouin will get traded this offseason, is there a possibility his relationship with the Lightning can be salvageable long-term.

"I'm not going to rule anything out," Yzerman said.
"I think it's the right thing to do," goalie Ben Bishop said. "It's kind of a shame that he stopped doing it in the first place, I don't know if it's poor advice or what. But he's a good kid, he's a good kid, he's going to have a bright future. It's good news, I'm glad to hear he's coming back and playing. You know he doesn't want to be sitting at home. He's going to do well."

Would Drouin be welcomed back in the Lightning room?

"Absolutely," Bishop said. "Everybody here realizes there's a business side of things. And he's a young kid. I don't know whose decision it was to stop playing. But sometimes when you're that young and have people telling you things to do, it's not always the right thing to do. You're not going to hold that against an 18 year old kid or 19 year old kid. But if he goes down puts in his work and if things work out and he's back here, he'll be welcomed with open arms."

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hello everyone!

Welcome aboard!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad