The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 3, Still Drinking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I could go either way on the deal, pending any extra components. I'm okay sticking with what we got in Pesce, but if I saw a one for one trade come across as done, I wouldn't be mad or shocked.

For me it depends on both the money for Nylander and if anything else is included. If Nylander is getting north of $7.5M long term, I think Pesce is more valuable. One interesting thing we could do to move this along if we really, really wanted Nylander would be to give Aho a $8M x 8 year deal now to add to the Nylander's camps comparables. Really twist the screws on Dubas with his offer.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
For me it depends on both the money for Nylander and if anything else is included. If Nylander is getting north of $7.5M long term, I think Pesce is more valuable. One interesting thing we could do to move this along if we really, really wanted Nylander would be to give Aho a $8M x 8 year deal now to add to the Nylander's camps comparables. Really twist the screws on Dubas with his offer.
Sure. I guess in my head, I'm assuming they'd either have a reasonable contract worked out, or yeah, have a limit set in place by Aho's contract. We still don't have a clue if Aho will accept that offer, or if we've come close to offering it. There's been so little out there about it, other than both sides wanting to do it.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

I just don't see us chasing Nylander UNTIL an Aho deal is done (and maybe a Teravainen deal as well). Some of the primary concerns I've heard voiced about the Nylander situation is, a) he doesn't want to be the 1st of the "big 3" to sign a "team friendly" deal, only to have Marner and Matthews get the money he left on the table and, b) anything around $6.5 million to $7 million actually makes him a more likely trade candidate.

Teravainen is a comparable to Nylander in my book and Aho is a step or two above (or more). The Leafs are facing a situation where they didn't "take care of their own" when they signed Tavares (not that it was a bad or the wrong decision, just whispers again). So now the "home grown" boys are expected to take one for the team. They really needed to get Nylander done last season and Matthews and Marner ASAP. By Nylander is now the hold up.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Not sure Teravainen isn't being underrated. For instance Hockey-Reference has point shares.
Nylander (17-18) 4.6 OPS, 2.1 DPS, 6.7 PS.
Teravainen (17-18) 5.1 OPS, 2.1 DOS 7.1 PS

Corsica has WAR for 17-18.
Nylander =.96
Teravainen = 1.19

I think Nylander has a higher ceiling. TT is definitely very good in his own right though and I want to see us lock him down long term.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm thinking 3 or 4 year deal for Turbo, Aho for as long as we can get him. Nylander would fall in the middle of the 2 contract wise in terms of length IMO.

I think Turbo's defense is short-sold a bit, he's not some world beater but for a skill winger he's above average. Definitely not some Skinner/Eberle type where I'm not sure they'd know who's in net for their own team most nights.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Not sure Teravainen isn't being underrated. For instance Hockey-Reference has point shares.
Nylander (17-18) 4.6 OPS, 2.1 DPS, 6.7 PS.
Teravainen (17-18) 5.1 OPS, 2.1 DOS 7.1 PS

Corsica has WAR for 17-18.
Nylander =.96
Teravainen = 1.19

Ignoring all other factors, Nylander did slightly less at 21 than what Teravainen did at 23.

His valuation among Leafs posters has to do with the expectation he'll take the next step from 60 point, excellent complimentary winger to 70-80 point c/wing line driver, along with playing a style made for Youtube. Which is why they're demanding stuff like Pesce + 1st in a trade while insisting he only deserves 6-6.5 AAV, one has him as that 70-80 guy already, the other the 60 point compliment.

Last edited:

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
I'm not certain. Nylander would put up 60 points here. I think he is a product of a stacked team.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Saw this on one of the trade threads, in reference to CAR potentially trading McElhinney:

They can't trade him unless they were the only team that put in a claim or he clears waivers.

From the CBA:
A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refused.

First off, I don't see that he needs to clear waivers from CAR...not sure where the OP got that notion, from what's quoted above, anyway.
Second, does this mean that you would have to negotiate terms of a trade with one team, then present that same offer to a second team that had put in a claim on the original waiver, and that second team would have first right of refusal of those terms?

This is very weird. Let's say the deal was for a third rounder, and the first team you struck a deal with was a bottom-feeder, and the second team was a team who would likely make the playoffs (therefore the value of the pick is lessened), the terms of the agreement are not equal.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I believe Mike Condon was claimed off waivers by the Penguins a couple of years ago and traded to the Sens by the Pens like a month later. Not sure on the second part, but I think if another team had put in a claim, they just offer him to them as if he were a waiver claim, and if they refuse to take him, then we go back to being able to trade him if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad