Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
First one is bad.

Second one makes no sense. Wouldn't the Jackets want a Skinner extension too? And I think they could probably do better if they traded Panarin.

Seem like made up rumors, to be honest.

My rule of thumb is if it doesn't come from a Twitter user with a blue check not named Jimmy Murphy, think of it as a glorified HF trade proposal.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Oh, didn't notice that was RumorBreak... yeah it's bullshit.
Anything along the lines of Eklund, RumorBreak, Hockeyyyyyy Insiderrrrrrrrr, or IncarceratedBob is bullshit. There's an off chance they throw something at the wall and it actually sticks, but they're less reliable then most people on this board in all honesty.

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
8EC6E5CC-4067-40D5-8265-705239C1CB02.jpeg

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I'm not sure I really understand GAR. Is it like taking all these categories and comparing each player's performance there to that of a league average player? Or league average performance in that category?

In concept, GAR is a one size fits all number that encapsulates how valuable an individual player is in terms of on-ice play, relative to a ‘replacement level’ player. A replacement level player is a player of a caliber such that they are readily available and can be acquired and played at a moment’s notice. Think along the lines of the players who shuttle waivers every year, or are your emergency callups from the AHL.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
In concept, GAR is a one size fits all number that encapsulates how valuable an individual player is in terms of on-ice play, relative to a ‘replacement level’ player. A replacement level player is a player of a caliber such that they are readily available and can be acquired and played at a moment’s notice. Think along the lines of the players who shuttle waivers every year, or are your emergency callups from the AHL.

Doesn't that make every player have a positive GAR?

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Doesn't that make every player have a positive GAR?

Yes, more or less. It is only an estimate but can be useful to compare the value of players relative to one another as an aggregate or across specific areas to see relative strengths and weaknesses.

I think @Unsustainable was trying to show that despite his defensive breakdowns that statistically Faulk could still be considered our 3rd most valuable defenseman behind Dougie and Jaccob (first names because I can!).

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
If people think a 1st+ for Faulk is a bad deal then they are going to be very disappointed with the return for him. He sucks and everyone knows it.
Depends on the first. Depends on the plus.

Edit: I'd really like to see if we can add to Faulk and pull Kadri from Toronto. I'd like to add Rask, but I think the salary would be too much for them, so it would have to be a decent prospect.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
If people think a 1st+ for Faulk is a bad deal then they are going to be very disappointed with the return for him. He sucks and everyone knows it.
We would be lucky if this theoretical late 1st rounder from the Leaves was half the player Faulk is, defensive warts and all.

We're not talking about Anton Babchuk here.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Sharks fan here.

I was going through some posts in this thread and trying to gauge what exactly are the Canes current need(s). You guys appear to be loaded on D and middle-6 forwards. So if Faulk and Skinner indeed get moved sometime this year what return are you expecting? Is it pure picks? Prospects or roster players? What type of prospects and roster players?

Like most teams we have Skinner and Faulk both on our wish-list but I am not aware enough of the Canes wants/needs to gauge what we could offer for those players.

Thanks.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Sharks fan here.

I was going through some posts in this thread and trying to gauge what exactly are the Canes current need(s). You guys appear to be loaded on D and middle-6 forwards. So if Faulk and Skinner indeed get moved sometime this year what return are you expecting? Is it pure picks? Prospects or roster players? What type of prospects and roster players?

Like most teams we have Skinner and Faulk both on our wish-list but I am not aware enough of the Canes wants/needs to gauge what we could offer for those players.

Thanks.

Needs: #1C, #1G.

But most of us are aware that Faulk and Skinner together or separately are unlikely to bring back either, in reality. I think our best play may be to take picks for them and combine those to go after a center or goalie.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Sharks fan here.

Thanks.

If SJS are willing to include Hertl, then I think a deal makes sense. Personally, I would do both Skinner and Faulk for Hertl plus picks (one being conditional if Skinner re-signs).

My reasoning being he could play on LW with Necas/Svechnikov. His defensive prowess and face-off ability would take some pressure off the two rookies. If Necas doesn't work out, Hertl can play C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->