Speculation: The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 2, Have a Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
That's fine. Wings fan here, and I totally see where you're coming from. Some posters on the Detroit boards are trying to say that the following proposal would be fair:

Faulk for Andreas Athanasiou, Evgeny Svechnikov, and Darren Helm (salary partially retained)

And I keep trying to tell them that Carolina would hang up the phone, but I thought I'd sniff around to see if I could better gauge a realistic return (if it was in roster players, since Detroit isn't in a position to be dealing picks).
Let's take our debate here and use the Canes fans to add to the discussion.

Some of the Canes fans have said they don't need Helm because they have young centers, okay.

With Athanasiou as a starting point, what would you Canes fans want for Faulk?

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Veleno

AA + Veleno
for
Faulk + Geekie
Wings fans dontd want to give up too significant of futures to bring in a younger Mike Green. You're probably looking at a guy already on the roster.

I'm not sure of there's a fair deal here, at least in the fans eyes. Maybe Holland is overly concerned about our need for offensive defensemen now, or maybe your new regime is super into making big changes for the sake of it. In the fans eyes however this probably won't go anywhere.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I see you changed the post. That makes it more interesting. Geekie had good chemistry with Rasmussen. We just drafted Veleno and usually a player doesn't get traded right after being drafted, but I would consider this.

The Canes were reported to be making a push to trade up into the late 1st at the Draft to catch a falling player. It was loosely reported that the Canes started putting their stuff away when Veleno was called, so the speculation is that he was their target. Which makes a bit of sense if they were scouting/considering him at their original spot (#11).

I followed Geekie/Rasmussen's Playoff run so I figured that would pique the interest of Detroit fans.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
The Canes were reported to be making a push to trade up into the late 1st at the Draft to catch a falling player. It was loosely reported that the Canes started putting their stuff away when Veleno was called, so the speculation is that he was their target. Which makes a bit of sense if they were scouting/considering him at their original spot (#11).

I followed Geekie/Rasmussen's Playoff run so I figured that would pique the interest of Detroit fans.
My only issue is that it's a somewhat lateral move. Geekie is better than Veleno but not by a ton, and it isn't a good look to trade a player you just drafted.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

According to the Athletic article, I think it was Beaudin, Chicago’s second pick in the 1st rd, they were trying to trade up to get. They may have been high on Valeno too. We have to get centers somehow I guess.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
Leafs fan here, I come in peace! I wanted to discuss a potential deal involving a D from Carolina which seems to be a strength with a deep top 6 of Slavin/Faulk/De Haan/Hamilton/Fleury/Pesce. Plus Trevor Van Riemsdyk as the 7th D and then guys like Jake Bean, Roland McKeown, and Trevor Carrick among others that are pushing for NHL roles.

Most Leafs fans on our board are talking about Justin Faulk as possible RD solution, but I am personally more interested in a potential deal for Roland McKeown as he in theory should be the more affordable trade asset plus he's still on his ELC which fits with the Leafs current cap situation. McKeown is very close to NHL ready if not already, and seems to be lacking a role with the incredible depth in front of him. Would Carolina be willing to move McKeown and what would it cost the Maple Leafs to acquire him?

For reference, here is the Leafs Depth Chart according to Roster Resource:
Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason 2018

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Leafs fan here, I come in peace! I wanted to discuss a potential deal involving a D from Carolina which seems to be a strength with a deep top 6 of Slavin/Faulk/De Haan/Hamilton/Fleury/Pesce. Plus Trevor Van Riemsdyk as the 7th D and then guys like Jake Bean, Roland McKeown, and Trevor Carrick among others that are pushing for NHL roles.

Most Leafs fans on our board are talking about Justin Faulk as possible RD solution, but I am personally more interested in a potential deal for Roland McKeown as he in theory should be the more affordable trade asset plus he's still on his ELC which fits with the Leafs current cap situation. McKeown is very close to NHL ready if not already, and seems to be lacking a role with the incredible depth in front of him. Would Carolina be willing to move McKeown and what would it cost the Maple Leafs to acquire him?

For reference, here is the Leafs Depth Chart according to Roster Resource:
Toronto Maple Leafs Offseason 2018

In theory, he is probably available and for a relatively low price. The real problem is that there is little we need that he could bring back due to his value. We don't need an equivalent forward piece coming back as we are already full of middle six forwards waiting in the AHL for their chance, we don't need another. Also, it is very likely one of TvR or Faulk is moved between now and the trade deadline, and when that happens McKeown becomes the 1st one up in event of an injury. If Fox was signed and in Charlotte, then I'd say we'd take a pick and let you have him, but since that is not the case, we need him in this backup role and he is more valuable in that role than almost anything you would want to give us for him. The only thing I could think of that would be something we may need and you have of near value would be Sparks or Pikard in net. But I think since both are not Waiver exempt, we could wait until October and just put in a claim on them when you send them down to the Marlies.

Garlando

May 5, 2014
Kingston, Ontario
In theory, he is probably available and for a relatively low price. The real problem is that there is little we need that he could bring back due to his value. We don't need an equivalent forward piece coming back as we are already full of middle six forwards waiting in the AHL for their chance, we don't need another. Also, it is very likely one of TvR or Faulk is moved between now and the trade deadline, and when that happens McKeown becomes the 1st one up in event of an injury. If Fox was signed and in Charlotte, then I'd say we'd take a pick and let you have him, but since that is not the case, we need him in this backup role and he is more valuable in that role than almost anything you would want to give us for him. The only thing I could think of that would be something we may need and you have of near value would be Sparks or Pikard in net. But I think since both are not Waiver exempt, we could wait until October and just put in a claim on them when you send them down to the Marlies.
Thanks for the detailed response, I really appreciate it! Your conclusion that there is little that the Hurricanes need that a guy like McKeown could bring back seems about right. Looking at the the Hurricanes depth chart on Roster Resource, they are deeper than I realized and outside of a Sparks/Pickard move which like you said are both not waiver exempt, I'm not sure there's enough value there for the Hurricanes to consider it. My initial thought was Josh Leivo + Sparks/Pickard for McKeown but with Zykov/Wallmark/Kuokkanen, I don't think a guy like Leivo is terrible valuable to you. Thanks again for the detailed response and giving the idea some thought!

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
anyone have any idea how legit @RumorBreak is on twitter?

I've seen a couple different Canes related tweets from him the past 12 hours:

1. Toronto has offer on table for Faulk of Leivo+Brown+2019 1st

2. Canes approached Jackets about a Faulk+Skinner for Panarin deal only if Panarin agreed to extension before hand

Of course the second may have happened, but Panarin aint doing that. What would your thoughts be on the first offer for Faulk?

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

2. Canes approached Jackets about a Faulk+Skinner for Panarin deal only if Panarin agreed to extension before hand

Of course the second may have happened, but Panarin aint doing that. What would your thoughts be on the first offer for Faulk?
I don't like the first option at all. Leivo and Brown don't bring anything that we don't have brewing in Charlotte and the 1st should be quite late. Sign me up for the second, but as you said, Panarin is likely to pass on us. I'd wait for better offers.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I don't like the first option at all. Leivo and Brown don't bring anything that we don't have brewing in Charlotte and the 1st should be quite late. Sign me up for the second, but as you said, Panarin is likely to pass on us. I'd wait for better offers.

yeah, you know you hear Leafs fans for years say they aren't trading Leivo or Brown....then one day they offer them up, you look at the player and realize they are 24 and 25 years old. crazy.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Yea, I don't see why Leafs fans keep throwing Leivo in trade offers like he has any real value at all. He's 25 with 22 points in 57 games over 3 seasons in the NHL. Those guys are pretty easily replaceable via FA, Euro, or in-house development/youth. In which case, as has been stated, Brown + late 1st doesn't really have a valuable enough piece to get Faulk.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

First one is bad.

Second one makes no sense. Wouldn't the Jackets want a Skinner extension too? And I think they could probably do better if they traded Panarin.

Seem like made up rumors, to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->