Speculation: The Official Horrible Trade Proposals Thread: Part 2, Have a Drink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Um, how big is that guys mouth? he could easily eat a puck whole.

Don't tell me you have missed this beauty:

pool-party-pizza-puljujarvi-gif.gif

Reactions: sheriff bart

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know very little about Puljujarvi, but I get an impression that he's one of these happy go lucky guys that doesn't have the intensity or killer instinct. This is probably WAY off base as I only see glimpses of him, just that's what I get whenever I see things from him.

Laine and Aho I get the exact opposite. I get the vibe from them that they are incredibly competitive and they'll do whatever it takes to beat you.

Like I said, this is probably way off base, I'm just commenting on what impression I get from seeing them.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I know very little about Puljujarvi, but I get an impression that he's one of these happy go lucky guys that doesn't have the intensity or killer instinct. This is probably WAY off base as I only see glimpses of him, just that's what I get whenever I see things from him.

Laine and Aho I get the exact opposite. I get the vibe from them that they are incredibly competitive and they'll do whatever it takes to beat you.

Like I said, this is probably way off base, I'm just commenting on what impression I get from seeing them.

Next time he is mentioned as a potential trade to us on the Canes board, you should use this rationale to lower his trade value. It makes at least as much sense as half the nonsense they bandy about.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
As good a thread of any to get a feeler here... V. Rask + 2018 4th for RNH. Salary gap + a 4th covers the talent gap. Helps them out of potential cap hell after the LD and CM signings while keeping their center depth in tact. I think the Slavin/Pesce deals (+ new ownership money) alleviate some of our own cap concerns, making the extra $2M easier to stomach.

Almost forgot... DISCUSS!

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Pulju scored in his first NHL game. When asked about it afterwards, he told it was "Fast... and up." He's a player alright.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Rask is just as productive as RNH, and makes $2 million less. I can see the argument of trading for RNH's offensive upside though. He's only 24 and could still become the 55-60 point player he's supposed to be in the right situation.

Bit of a gamble though, especially when you consider Rask had a month-plus long pointless streak. If that doesn't happen he's probably a 50-point guy and looks a lot better on paper, in terms of his trade value I mean.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Rask is just as productive as RNH, and makes $2 million less. I can see the argument of trading for RNH's offensive upside though. He's only 24 and could still become the 55-60 point player he's supposed to be in the right situation.

Bit of a gamble though, especially when you consider Rask had a month-plus long pointless streak. If that doesn't happen he's probably a 50-point guy and looks a lot better on paper, in terms of his trade value I mean.

Couldn't the same th Big be said regarding Rask's potential? He's 5 weeks older than RNH.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Welp, I'm probably lower on Rask and higher on RNH than anyone here. I'll save the typical Oiler excuses on RNH's production, but given the same opportunity as Rask has had here, I think he'd give us a whole lot more.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Welp, I'm probably lower on Rask and higher on RNH than anyone here. I'll save the typical Oiler excuses on RNH's production, but given the same opportunity as Rask has had here, I think he'd give us a whole lot more.

I'm not low on Rask, but I'm with you in that I think RNH is a clear upgrade in talent over him.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
RNH has played at a 61 point pace against Eastern Conference teams throughout his career (vs. 52 point pace in WC). For whatever reason he has found more success playing against these systems.

I'd make a Rask for RNH swap. It makes a lot of sense for Edmonton Cap-wise while maintaining a good middle-6 C. Similar to Brassard for Zibanejad, but with longer-term cost control. Rask is reliable but he hasn't developed much chemistry with any top-6 guys. In this type of deal the Canes hope RNH could click with Skinner or some of the young guys in an improved low-end #1C role.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Seems to me that RNH was growing into his game just as Edmonton found themselves buried in an embarrassment of riches offensively.

I think RNH is clearly a higher upside player coming into his prime. I make that trade.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I dunno. I think that upside is worth an extra depth guy or a pick. Not both.

I think with the $2M cap difference it's a pretty fair swap, but I COULD see a SMALL add from our end to make up the talent difference. Rask has shown us some great glimpses of what he can give us, he just disappears a lot too right now and can't seem to click right with anyone long term...unless we grab Landeskog for the Swedish connection~ :sarcasm:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

You also have to realize Rask went on an insane unsustainable streak to begin the season as well so it evens it out. RNH was forced into a role he was not ready for (Shutting down elite competition) and thus he seemingly drastically declined. With Staal I don't think we have to worry about RNH being forced into such a big role. And if Staal goes down argument, you think Rask is ready for a shutdown role? At least RNH has shown he isn't a liability in a shutdown role even if he isn't good at it.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Honestly, if the Oilers would have played RNH the way they played Draisaitl last year (ie..a lot of time on McDavid's wing), their opinion of the two players would be opposite of what it is today. Without hockeyanalysis shut down, I'm not sure where to get the data, but I'm pretty sure I recall that Draisaitl's numbers away from McDavid weren't any better than RNH's numbers, and RNH played against tougher competition in a more defensive role.

That said, Draisaitl though performed well in the playoffs away from McDavid and is only 21 so it gives fans some indication of what he might be capable of long term.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Honestly, if the Oilers would have played RNH the way they played Draisaitl last year (ie..a lot of time on McDavid's wing), their opinion of the two players would be opposite of what it is today. Without hockeyanalysis shut down, I'm not sure where to get the data, but I'm pretty sure I recall that Draisaitl's numbers away from McDavid weren't any better than RNH's numbers, and RNH played against tougher competition in a more defensive role.

That said, Draisaitl though performed well in the playoffs away from McDavid and is only 21 so it gives fans some indication of what he might be capable of long term.

Draisaitl's best partner without McDavid was a rookie in Slepyshev who shouldn't be anything more than a fringe 3rd line winger. Did I also mention the useless defenseman he had to play with when not playing with McDavid? Draisaitl's numbers were poor away from McDavid, but his common partners numbers without him were absolutely terrifyingly bad.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Draisaitl's best partner without McDavid was a rookie in Slepyshev who shouldn't be anything more than a fringe 3rd line winger. Did I also mention the useless defenseman he had to play with when not playing with McDavid? Draisaitl's numbers were poor away from McDavid, but his common partners numbers without him were absolutely terrifyingly bad.

But you look at how RNH was used. Take out "terrible Kris Russell" and "Awesome Connor McDavid" from the equation for both players, and RNH and Draisaitl have surprisingly similar numbers and that's with RNH playing against tougher competition.

As I said though, Drai is only 21 and if his playoff performance is any indication of what's ahead, he will be the superior player going forward. I stand by my statement though. If RNH was used like Draisaitl was this past season (a lot of time with Connor McDavid and more favorable match-ups), fans would have a much different view of him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hard not to take nuge over Rask. He's a much quicker player with a notably more dangerous skill set. He's always seemed to be built like a little baby bird, and that's always been my only concern for him. Hard to evaluate that set of Oiler forwards, they all needed a restart somewhere else. I like Rask and am in hurry to lose him but this would be an upgrade worth the move imo.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah I'm a Rask fan but I'd totally take the Nuge over him. With the way Tripp always gushes over him and his relationship with Brindy I've always kind of wondered if he might end up in Raleigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad