Flyers' History: The OFFICIAL Flyers Cronyism Chart

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
Here we go.... I saw the picture of Al Hill and wondered why Ross Fitzpatrick wasn't listed yet. So I did some research. Now some of the connections might be stretches, but in the cronyism world, anything is possible.

Ross Fitzpatrick - player with Hershey Bears in the 80's and prospect with the Flyers while Clarke was GM. Started scouting in 06-07.
Mark Greig - with the Flyers org from 1998 - 2003. Went to Europe and retired after 06-07 season. Became Flyers scout after retiring.
Alyn McCauley - Signed by Lombardi for the Kings in July 2006. Hired by Lombardi as a scout in 2009. Signed by Flyers in 2017 as a scout
Tom Minton - with the Wild from 2014-2019 season. Hired by Chuck Fletcher with both teams.
John Chapman - Director of Player Personal with the Panthers from 1993-1995. Guess who hired him?? He was also GM of the Calgary Wranglers in 1986-87. Mark Greig was a player on the team. Also on the team... Len Barrie (signed by Flyers 1990 ) and Mark Bassen (signed by Flyers 1989)
Joakin Grundberg - hired in 2013. AGM on previous year team was Peter Forsberg
Todd Hearty - hired in 2008. Couldn't find much information on him previous to his hire. According to Elite Prospects he never played Junior or College. Not sure how he all of a sudden got a job as a scout. He must know someone
Ken Hoodikoff - with the Wild from 2002 - 2007. Been with the Flyers since 2009.
Dennis Patterson - signed by the Flyers as a player in 1977 and retired after 1983 season. Became a scout with the Flyers for 1983 -84 season. Followed Clarke to North Stars and Panthers before coming back to the Flyers
Shane Fukushima - was asst. coach on 2018 WJC. Ronnie Attard and Bobby Brink on the team. Was Director of Player Personnel with Waterloo Blackhawks while Matej Tomek (G - drafted by Flyers 2015) was with the team, 2017-2018.
Jan Slansky - father (?) was long time Flyers scout Vaclav Slansky, Sr. Brother is Vaclav Slansky, Jr. is a scout for the Devils.
Martin Gendron - scout for Cliff Fletcher with the Wild from 2015- 2019. Hired by the Flyers in 2019.
John Riley - Hired by the Flyers prior to 2008-2009 season. Was an Asst. Coach with Princeton from 05-06 season through 06-07. On the Princeton team was Darrell Powe. Signed by the Flyers after the 06-07 season. Also on the team, Kevin Westgarth. Signed by Dean Lombardi for the Kings after 06-07 season. I'm sure both the Flyers and Kings would've contacted him prior to signing them.

That was 2.5 hours of my life spent doing that.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I'd say tweet it at the non beat folks who talk about the team, but is there anyone besides Macnow that even spends 5 minutes on the team?

It was attempted weeks ago. O’Connor brushed it off after I brought it up to Matz - as people just looking to be angry.

I haven’t seen any reporter really dare question that Flyer hierarchy, and tenured positions . At this point it’s mainly been the business side of things. Nobody has the balls to go after the key players of the hockey operation side of things.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
It was attempted weeks ago. O’Connor brushed it off after I brought it up to Matz - as people just looking to be angry.

I haven’t seen any reporter really dare question that Flyer hierarchy, and tenured positions . At this point it’s mainly been the business side of things. Nobody has the balls to go after the key players of the hockey operation side of things.
That's why I said the non beats. Not the folks that cover the team regularly, but the sports generalists - the people on the radio who might chance to talk about them from time to time. Of course, I think most of them are beyond caring.

Irvdog13

Jan 20, 2020
So we've established what hockey organizations typically look like. Lots of incestuous hires. At the other end of the spectrum we have the Canucks who are totally going woke with what I am certain are sound hires.....quite a juxtaposition.

Further I get the sense that Brier is a new entrant to the cronyism circle....how will this be rationalized? Guys like Brier and Martin st Louis come into roles with a slightly different respect levels amongst their peers and fan base.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
So we've established what hockey organizations typically look like. Lots of incestuous hires. At the other end of the spectrum we have the Canucks who are totally going woke with what I am certain are sound hires.....quite a juxtaposition.

Further I get the sense that Brier is a new entrant to the cronyism circle....how will this be rationalized? Guys like Brier and Martin st Louis come into roles with a slightly different respect levels amongst their peers and fan base.
Danny Breer is the assistant to the gm. It remains to be seen if Breire has any say in anything

Reactions: Beef Invictus

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
I always laughed back in the day when you would look at the Flyers front office staff on their website, there was like 5 of Clarke's kids working for the organization.

there can't be another organization in sports that panders more to one family than the Flyers have to the Clarke's. Bob could literally murder someone and they would just "demote" him to assistant president or something.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I always laughed back in the day when you would look at the Flyers front office staff on their website, there was like 5 of Clarke's kids working for the organization.

there can't be another organization in sports that panders more to one family than the Flyers have to the Clarke's. Bob could literally murder someone and they would just "demote" him to assistant president or something.
Ed Snider really credited Clarke with paving the path to him becoming a billionaire, so every possible person in his progeny is getting taken care of.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Even though Peter White is no longer married to Jody Clarke...Clarke's daughter....the dude can credit having a semblance of career for at least 8 years in the org while Clarke was GM.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Even though Peter White is no longer married to Jody Clarke...Clarke's daughter....the dude can credit having a semblance of career for at least 8 years in the org while Clarke was GM.
White was a great AHL player, he had 2 105-point seasons with the phantoms. The year he had the longest run on the Flyers was when Lindros held out and LeClair got hurt. Also played in the prior playoffs without Lindros.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
White was a great AHL player, he had 2 105-point seasons with the phantoms. The year he had the longest run on the Flyers was when Lindros held out and LeClair got hurt. Also played in the prior playoffs without Lindros.
While all true ..it would have been nice if he panned out as an actual NHL level talent.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I still laugh about a Phantoms game I went to at the old Spectrum. Game was against the Kentucky Thoroughblades. At some point a full line brawl breaks out, Peter White is in the middle of it. I hear from behind me "That's not my Peter!" Turn around and look as the fight is broken up and Yep Jody Clarke is right behind me. I say nothing until the game is over. As we walk out I said to the lady with me that evening, "Ummm did you realize who was in the row behind us?" She said "the players significant others" We both laughed at that comment from Jody Clarke. She didn't think her hockey player husband/boyfriend would get into it if he was on ice when it broke out on that team...

Reactions: Embiid

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Personally I think Clarke should run for President of the U.S ( I know he is Canadian born). ....the criteria these days are pretty rock bottom.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
One guy I'd like to see added to the croynism chart is Sam Morin. Pro Scout maybe? Seems like such a likeable dude.
I didn't know there was a fan selection category. I'm totally for bringing back McCarthy to replace brown. We don't even have to go off the chart for him. I don't just think he'd be better I think he'd be really good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad