The Official Fire Babcock Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingsNow*

Maybe we should turn this into the promote Babcock to GM thread?

Sweet. Promote him to assistant to Jimmy Devellano.

Mike Babcock can pick up Jimmy D's velvet capes from the cleaners.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Dumbass decisions. Some guy who spends a lot of time on his computer and watching hockey knows more than one of the most winningest coaches in hockey. I'll start questioning Babcock when he benches Dats and Z.

This is such an horrible argument. Why go on a discussion forum then? Basically all we can do is wave our red and white pom poms if we follow this logic.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Sweet. Promote him to assistant to Jimmy Devellano.

Mike Babcock can pick up Jimmy D's velvet capes from the cleaners.

I got the idea from you. You've been saying Babcock might want to tackle that role. And hey, I think he could do pretty well. He'd build a tough as nails team with skill, I think that's certain.

Maybe we could do a Darryl Sutter thing where he's coach and GM.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I got the idea from you. You've been saying Babcock might want to tackle that role. And hey, I think he could do pretty well. He'd build a tough as nails team with skill, I think that's certain.

I've been wondering more and more why this doesn't happen very often. Seems like team would have a stronger identity this way.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I've been wondering more and more why this doesn't happen very often. Seems like team would have a stronger identity this way.

It's been awhile, so my memory could be foggy, but didn't Sutter say it was too demanding juggling both?

I think if you had good assistants around you, both GM and coaching, it could work. Babcock is one of the few guys that could probably pull it off, too, like Sutter.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Babcock's best chance at extending his shelf life was the assistant coach shuffle, but that hasn't worked out so well.

We still have problems starting games on time and blowing late leads. Special teams suck. We can't score.

Now some of that is Babcock; a lot is Holland. But in the pecking order of professional sports managers don't go before coaches.

RedWingsNow*

I don't think you try that in Detroit.
Maybe he could do that for the Flames.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Babcock being fired is inevitable right now. Although he almost certainly wont be fired this season. I don't see him coaching as a lame-duck coach, and I don't see the Wings offering him a new contract next season so IMO his days are numbered and next season will be his last, either by his choosing or Managements.

Like many others in this thread I get very frustrated with how he uses the line-up, and I personally don't enjoy the style of hockey he wants the team to play. He's had a great run with the Wings but I think his message has run its course with the players.

I personally don't think any coach should be kept very long. It prevents players from becoming a coach favorite and becoming complacent. It also keeps the team from becoming predictable and easy to defend.

Babcock is a hard ass with an iron will. He's the guy who gets your team over the hump but I'm not sure he's the best for nurturing young talent.

Babcock won't survive this reload/rebuild and maybe that's for the best.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
This is another small reason I wouldn't mind Babcock gone, I feel like he has a personal issue with Holland and often makes statements that are meant to undermine him.

Often I don't even think they are true, like his statement about wanting Smith up with the Wings last season. He was given Smith for the playoffs and didn't dress him once. As much flak as Holland gets for keeping kids in the minors too long when Babcock has them at his disposal he never gives them any ice-time and more often then not ends up scratching them.

Babcock has had a great run with the Wings but if I'm choosing between him and Management, he's the one I'd let go.

By that time Holland had brought in Quincey. And Smith only had 14 NHL games under his belt. Maybe if he had been up all season...

cupforwings09

Mar 30, 2010
Michigan
These type of posts, which are full of fail, needs to stop. Stop posting on a message board and go stroke it to the Red Wings in the corner if you don't want to be part of a discussion

I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. My post is as ridiculous as the guy who said Babcock should be fired for making dumbass decisions. The only place I hear people saying we should fire Babcock is in this forum. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Just because he has Cleary and Abby on the same line with Pav? Yeah, don't like it either, but he doesn't have many other options. Plus the team has been playing well lately.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
By that time Holland had brought in Quincey. And Smith only had 14 NHL games under his belt. Maybe if he had been up all season...

When Babcock was asked about Smith after last season he said he thought Smith needed to work on creating as many chances for the Red Wings as he does for the opposition. Not exactly high praise for a guy he claims he wanted up all season.

He also claimed this year that he was disappointed they let Hudler go, but other than last year he seemed to always relegate him to the 3rd or 4th lines with his only PP time being on the point.

He reminds me of Don Cherry a little bit. He talks out of both sides of his mouth so no matter what happens he can claim he was right.

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
When I asked you to think, I asked you to think about why you think it's smartto sacrifice the effectiveness of a great, 20+minute line for the effectiveness of an OK 8-minute line

Way to avoid answer the question.

Bob...I have not seen enough of the Wings to comment on Babcock's specific line and match-up decisions, but you keep writing as if there is no reason a coach might consider doing the above.

Depending on the match up issues you are facing, it MIGHT actually be the right thing to do.

Also, tell us who you would hire right now in the middle of the season, as your replacement.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'm sorry, but I just don't get it. My post is as ridiculous as the guy who said Babcock should be fired for making dumbass decisions. The only place I hear people saying we should fire Babcock is in this forum. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Just because he has Cleary and Abby on the same line with Pav? Yeah, don't like it either, but he doesn't have many other options. Plus the team has been playing well lately.

It might seem a bit outside the sort of stuff the mainstream media will discuss because Babcock has won a Cup and these are the Wings but if the Wings miss the playoffs (a distinct possibility) it will be a lot less of a "ridiculous thing".

I think what goes a bit missing in these debates over line combos and so forth is that the Wings are an objectively mediocre, sub-.500 team.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
He reminds me of Don Cherry a little bit. He talks out of both sides of his mouth so no matter what happens he can claim he was right.

You're right, and it's something I've never put together. His remarks about Hudler and Smith are just two examples of his doubletalk over the years.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
There are a couple articles floating around for and against it. Nobody is saying Babcock is a bad coach or he doesn't really know what he's doing, he has an impressive list of accomplishments.

The decisions he's making, however, make little to no sense. If Datysuk wants to play with big bodies, or players that play big, throw Andersson and Tootoo out with him. Throw Franzen and Andersson out there with them. Gator and Andersson. Anything that doesn't involve Cleary, who wouldn't even average .10 PPG in the AHL. He has other options than to stick with the line that has proved not to work. At all. Even if those other options don't work it wouldn't enrage us as fans as much because he's at least trying something new.

Why in the Hell is Tatar, who's been better than everyone not named Datysuk and Zetterberg, sitting on the bench in OT?

Why does he keep throwing Zetterberg out there for the shoot out? He's been my favorite player for a long time but the guy does not know how to score on a breakaway, he tries the same move everytime. Easy save for a goaltender in the NHL.

Personally, for the first time in a while, I think that the Red Wings are fine with mediocrity. Oh well, they'll be better in a couple years.

Last edited:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Babcock, given the current injury situation, should play

Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist (1st choice)
Tatar-Datsyuk-TooToo (right shot, creates space, good skater)
Tatar-Datsyuk-Eaves (right shot, has scoring touch but atm it's well hidden)

But he doesn't

**** babcock

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe
It might seem a bit outside the sort of stuff the mainstream media will discuss because Babcock has won a Cup and these are the Wings but if the Wings miss the playoffs (a distinct possibility) it will be a lot less of a "ridiculous thing".

I think what goes a bit missing in these debates over line combos and so forth is that the Wings are an objectively mediocre, sub-.500 team.

One thing to add that players like a lot less so-called tough and demanding coaches when team is not winning. So Babs won't be a popular figure in the dressing room if team is unsuccessful.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
When Babcock was asked about Smith after last season he said he thought Smith needed to work on creating as many chances for the Red Wings as he does for the opposition. Not exactly high praise for a guy he claims he wanted up all season.

He also claimed this year that he was disappointed they let Hudler go, but other than last year he seemed to always relegate him to the 3rd or 4th lines with his only PP time being on the point.

I don't see calling Smith out for looking like a rookie when he's a... well, rookie and wanting him up as contradictory.

The Hudler comment is kind of baffling though.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I don't see calling Smith out for looking like a rookie when he's a... well, rookie and wanting him up as contradictory.

On its own I wouldn't think much of his comment either, but compare that to how he's treated Brian Lashoff. I haven't heard even the slightest criticism about him from Babcock and he's been far worse defensively than Smith was.

That combined with how he used or "didn't" use Smith in the playoffs makes me think Babcock was just blowing smoke in an effort to take a shot at management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce