The Official Android Thread Part XVI: Care for a slice of Pie?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Is there a new Gmail backup thing on android google is implementing? First time Ive seen this notification on any of my devices and I've been logged into gmail for a really long time.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
So I have a tablet that I bought at an estate sale sort of thing, things that were re-possessed.

One of them was this Galaxy Tab 2 thing, I tried to log in, has this security crap (Knox and some Enterprise thing) and because it's a company that went belly up, the people to contact don't exist, Samsung is virtually useless.

So I looked into Rooting it, the only issue is, when you root it, you're rooting it back with Samsung crap still on it. Is there a way to root it with a different version of Android that doesn't have Knox and that Enterprise junk on it?

Otherwise, I have a pretty neat coaster!

Late reply, but you need to unlock the bootloader first, however, if the bootloader can't be unlocked, then you can't flash it with a different ROM.

Google the tablet model and bootloader, and if fortunate, XDA will have some info.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Late reply, but you need to unlock the bootloader first, however, if the bootloader can't be unlocked, then you can't flash it with a different ROM.

Google the tablet model and bootloader, and if fortunate, XDA will have some info.
I was able to root it with another android version but for Samsung only. So I'll give it a try.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Is anyone going Google-less? Would like to but haven't found a replacement for Google Maps that will work without Google Play Services.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Google announced the Pixel 3a and 3a XL, and they look like pretty darn good mid-range phones for $399/$479 USD and $549/$649 CAD.

Pros: Price, almost identical camera, OLED screen, headphone jack, no notch, stereo speakers (but one is bottom facing), all the same OS features as regular pixel 3 (squeeze for assistant, call screening, unlimited online storage for photos/videos but at "high" quality instead of original)

Cons: Slower processor, no "pixel visual core" chip, no water resistance, screen less resistant to drops, plastic backing instead of aluminum/glass, no wireless charging

PIXEL 3A / 3A XL SPECS

• Display: 5.6 inches, 2220 x 1080 (3A); 6 inches, 2160 x 1080 (3A XL)
  • Dragontrail Glass
  • Size and Weight: 6.0 x 2.8 x 0.3 inches, 147g (3A); 6.3 x 3.0 x 0.3 inches, 167g (3A XL)
  • Battery: 3,000mAh (3A); 3,700mAh (3A XL)
  • Memory: 4GB LPDDR4x RAM
  • Storage: 64GB
  • Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 670: 2.0GHz + 1.7GHz, Adreno 615 Graphics
  • Rear camera: 12.2-megapixel with optical + electronic image stabilization; f/1.8 aperture
  • Front camera: 8-megapixel with f/2.0 aperture, 84-degree field of view

Last edited:
Reactions: CPTN71

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Anyone have a S8? there was an update I think back in late April. After the update I have gone from battery life of a full working day to maybe early evening. I have not changed my habits with the phone at all but I have pretty much gone down from 10-12hrs of battery to 7-8 since the update. Its annoying and seems to drain very fast after you hit 50%.

Good news is that I only have a few months till my contract is up. So now I'm kind of deciding between the s10 and Huawei P30 pro

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Anyone prefer Spotify to Google Music because it makes playlists easier and builds lists based on your tastes and what you like? I'm currently using Google Music but Spotify seems like it might be easier and get more use because of playlists and stuff.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I love Spotify. Premium has been worth every penny. Plus the connection with Shazam is great. I can Shazam a song while I'm driving and it's automatically in my Spotify playlist.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I like Google Music because it comes with Youtube Music premium for free. Some songs that aren't available on Google Music or Spotify i just listen to on Youtube Music.

member 51464

I have an original Google Pixel. I got the update for Android 10 pushed to me this morning. Took ages to install and made me think my phone had bricked at first. A whole bunch of old photos and messages were gone. It was strange. I went to gallery and like 4 photos were in it. I went back again and it filled in a bit more. But still many hundreds gone. I don't back up to the cloud for a variety of reasons. Not a huge deal since photos don't mean much in the end. But an unexpected annoyance. Especially for certain screen shots I had of things (library card number, etc...)

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I have an original Google Pixel. I got the update for Android 10 pushed to me this morning. Took ages to install and made me think my phone had bricked at first. A whole bunch of old photos and messages were gone. It was strange. I went to gallery and like 4 photos were in it. I went back again and it filled in a bit more. But still many hundreds gone. I don't back up to the cloud for a variety of reasons. Not a huge deal since photos don't mean much in the end. But an unexpected annoyance. Especially for certain screen shots I had of things (library card number, etc...)

that is weird. I also had an update pushed to my 10+ this morning. After reading this I went and checked my gallery and I am all good, would be interesting to see if any other google pixel users had issues.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Wow. I haven’t heard of that happening since way back when an update erased all the photos on my Note 2. Sadly those photos contained my kid as Batman for his third Halloween. Never trusted Android after that.

Obviously Android is far, far better now. Still sucks to lose your card pics though.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I have an original Pixel as well. Oddly I haven't been updated yet but now I'll know to keep an eye out for anything missing.

member 51464

I am glad nobody else seemed to have issues. The worst ones to lose were from a recent Euro trip. Fortunately, it was revisiting old favorite locales, so I at least have photos from my first times to them.

The others were photos from exes and whatnot that probably are better off gone, lol. Everything in life is transitory, folks!

More on topic, I hope the release of the Pixel 4 means I can get a Pixel 3a for cheap. I definitely no longer need the latest and greatest in phones.

member 51464

This is downright bizarre. Five days later, and a bunch more of the photos just came back. Not all of them, but back to April 2018.

The odd thing is that I turned off online backup immediately when I got the phone for privacy reasons, and know that none of these photos were ever uploaded anywhere. I am not even sure how/why these photos would continue to trickle in over a week+. I am very curious if it continues all the way back to when I activated the phone or if the backfill just randomly stops at some point. Weird, team. Weird.

member 51464

The Pixel 4 is out in just a few days. I hope that will mean I can get the 3 or 3a for cheap. I never paid attention before, so I'm not sure how long Google sells the older phone when the new one arrives.

Reactions: Daxi

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
Bought the Moto Z4 from best buy for $240. It's a $500 phone, but best buy was running a deal where if you are due for an upgrade they'll sell you this for that super cheap. I love it. I was still using a Galaxy S5. This thing blows it out of the water. 128gb of storage too.

Peter Zezel

Sep 12, 2003
Reactions: member 51464

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For those interested, YouTube Vanced is a YouTube app that gives you the YouTube premium features (other than downloading videos, but who cares about that?)

Download YouTube Vanced APK [NON-ROOT]

You do need to sideload the app unfortunately but it's a credible app that is open source, if you don't want to put in your Google credentials just dont download the microG apk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad