The Official Android Thread Part XVI: Care for a slice of Pie?

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
Really hate all the forced Google bloat that comes with Android 9 and 10. On A 10 they've added so that that the 1 row with apps above the search bar will show on every page. Very annoying since the available space for widgets
is becoming less and less for each update. I don't really get why Google are so afraid to allow users to decide for themselves whether or not one wants to use their sh*tty widgets and feautures.
I also don't like (on A 10) that the removed the old feature with a dedicated "button" for previous used apps which they replaced with Swipe up slowly.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Really hate all the forced Google bloat that comes with Android 9 and 10. On A 10 they've added so that that the 1 row with apps above the search bar will show on every page. Very annoying since the available space for widgets
is becoming less and less for each update. I don't really get why Google are so afraid to allow users to decide for themselves whether or not one wants to use their sh*tty widgets and feautures.
I also don't like (on A 10) that the removed the old feature with a dedicated "button" for previous used apps which they replaced with Swipe up slowly.

The A10 comes with Samsung's One UI, so what you hate may actually be thanks to Samsung, not Google. If you're sure that there are no options to turn off or change those features, you could always just install a different launcher. You may be able to download and sideload the Pixel Launcher that comes on Pixel phones to get the stock Google UI or you could simply install one of the many 3rd-party launchers on the Play Store.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
The A10 comes with Samsung's One UI, so what you hate may actually be thanks to Samsung, not Google. If you're sure that there are no options to turn off or change those features, you could always just install a different launcher. You may be able to download and sideload the Pixel Launcher that comes on Pixel phones to get the stock Google UI or you could simply install one of the many 3rd-party launchers on the Play Store.
Believe it or not the Microsoft Launcher is really good and slick.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Believe it or not the Microsoft Launcher is really good and slick.

I used it for the last six months and agree. The only reason why I gave up on it a few days ago is that I got tired of it not registering my presses about 1/3rd of the time. I think that it's too sensitive to gestures like swiping and wasn't registering some of my presses because my V30's display has a high 537 ppi (1440 x 2880 at 6.0") and moving my finger even just a hair while I pressed was interpreted as a gesture instead of a press. If you have a lower resolution or dpi, you may not have the same problem.

Last edited:

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I might be wrong, but I think by saying A 10 he’s referring to Android 10, not the Samsung A10.

Reactions: Desdichado30

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I used it for the last six months and agree. The only reason why I had to give up on it a few days ago is that I got tired of it not registering my presses about 1/3rd of the time. I think that it's too sensitive to swiping and was mistaking my presses for swipes because my display has an awfully high 537 ppi (1440 x 2880 at 6.0"). If you have a lower resolution or dpi, you may not have the same problem.
Interesting.
Good to know. Havent had an issue yet, im running 2220×1080. I might have to try running 2960x1440 for a bit.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
I might be wrong, but I think by saying A 10 he’s referring to Android 10, not the Samsung A10.

Yeah it's Android 10 on a Nokia 7+ running "pure Android". Unfortunately Google's bloat can't be turned off. I already tried Nova launcher (after the release of Android 9)
but I didn't really like it. Gonna try Hyperion launcher for while and see if it works.

On positive side battery life seems a bit better on A 10 and my charging port that has been very itchy about the cable not being inserted properly also seems to have become less itchy.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
One thing I loved about Samsung is how they marched to the beat of their own drum as far as design.

Suddenly the Note 10 looks like the iPhone X from behind and they took out the headphone jack.

Have you all seen the Galaxy S20 leaks? Again the back is a giant square / rectangle where the cameras are... like the iPhone 11... Pixel did the same thing.

I really really am having a hard time wanting to upgrade from my Note 9. Super unique and sexy phone. Love my fingerprint sensor on the back too. Its so much faster than in-screen sensors and face id.

I also really enjoy the "camera row" across the back... no iPhone design.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
One thing I loved about Samsung is how they marched to the beat of their own drum as far as design.

Suddenly the Note 10 looks like the iPhone X from behind and they took out the headphone jack.

Have you all seen the Galaxy S20 leaks? Again the back is a giant square / rectangle where the cameras are... like the iPhone 11... Pixel did the same thing.

I really really am having a hard time wanting to upgrade from my Note 9. Super unique and sexy phone. Love my fingerprint sensor on the back too. Its so much faster than in-screen sensors and face id.

I also really enjoy the "camera row" across the back... no iPhone design.

Style has sort of peaked lately, to the point where I love seeing little unique details in phones. The Note 9 is still a beauty. The Note 10’s Glow and stylus are amazing. The S20 should be a mainstream spec monster whose Ultra variant should rival the best gaming phones, but the Z Flip...HOLY SHIT that’s an absolute stunner. If I wasn’t locked in to Apple, I’d be rocking a Note or that Z Flip this year. I do wish that Samsung lost the camera hole on the front of its phones, but it’s so small that it doesn’t matter much now. The rear camera placement never really bothers me on any phone.

I wouldn’t recommend upgrading to anyone with a phone less than three years old, unless a new unique feature rocks your world like the Z Flip.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Samsung has a history of copying Apple's design. All of the Galaxies prior to the S8 looked like iPhones. They've tried new designs since (especially with their Edge models), but it doesn't surprise me to hear that they borrowed from Apple again.

I'm partial to LG's designs, myself, because they tend to look nothing like iPhones.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So I've been holding out and holding out... I have an original Pixel and I know it's slowly dying.

I'm hearing rumors about the Pixel 4a coming out (and being delayed because of coronavirus).

Any Canadians out there know when deals usually come up for Pixels or other Android devices? Looking to upgrade without getting locked into a plan.

I can probably make it to Black Friday/Cyber Monday but are there any deals over summer?

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
So I've been holding out and holding out... I have an original Pixel and I know it's slowly dying.

I'm hearing rumors about the Pixel 4a coming out (and being delayed because of coronavirus).

Any Canadians out there know when deals usually come up for Pixels or other Android devices? Looking to upgrade without getting locked into a plan.

I can probably make it to Black Friday/Cyber Monday but are there any deals over summer?
Sometimes there are good deals in summer but you really have to keep an eye open and check regularly, they really come out of the blue

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Honestly, if you're up for not paying the full price, I'm a huge fan of my Pixel 3. Work great, lasts all day and no issues to speak of. If you want even cheaper, you could do the 3a, which is still a good phone.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I would wait for Back to School at least. Sales are bound to be down and companies will want to move units to lower inventory.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
So I was looking around and couldn't find a good deal on any previous Pixels. Maybe I'm wrong for fixating on them - I just assume because it's Pixel it will be easier to transfer my various authenticators and stuff from Pixel to Pixel vs. Pixel to Note or whatever.

The Pixel 5 got a release date and at $799 CAD I might pick that up. I'm assuming I can pop my SIM card out of my original Pixel XL and pop it in the Pixel 5?

SIM cards haven't changed again have they (last time I upgraded to the Pixel I also had to get a new SIM card because it was a different type or something)?

Edit: It looks like the Pixel series up until 5 (including 4a) uses NanoSIM and Pixel 5 seems to be the same. I'm not sure what eSIM is, I'm assuming it's not a physical card?

Last edited:

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Anyone ever have an issue where Maps keeps losing GPS? I've been using Maps on my S8 pretty much daily for years and never had this happen but as of the past few months it happens almost every time I try to use it. It seems to be OK so long as I set my destination, turn on nav and don't do anything else (don't touch Spotify, don't look at text messages in the phone, don't do a google search for anything etc.) but if I even touch the phone now it loses GPS and I have to exit Maps entirely and re-enter my destination and start nav again.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Anyone ever have an issue where Maps keeps losing GPS? I've been using Maps on my S8 pretty much daily for years and never had this happen but as of the past few months it happens almost every time I try to use it. It seems to be OK so long as I set my destination, turn on nav and don't do anything else (don't touch Spotify, don't look at text messages in the phone, don't do a google search for anything etc.) but if I even touch the phone now it loses GPS and I have to exit Maps entirely and re-enter my destination and start nav again.

Samsung phones have had an issue in the past where the GPS radio stops working reliably. Sounds like that’s what you have. It requires a replacement radio.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So I was looking around and couldn't find a good deal on any previous Pixels. Maybe I'm wrong for fixating on them - I just assume because it's Pixel it will be easier to transfer my various authenticators and stuff from Pixel to Pixel vs. Pixel to Note or whatever.

The Pixel 5 got a release date and at $799 CAD I might pick that up. I'm assuming I can pop my SIM card out of my original Pixel XL and pop it in the Pixel 5?

SIM cards haven't changed again have they (last time I upgraded to the Pixel I also had to get a new SIM card because it was a different type or something)?

Edit: It looks like the Pixel series up until 5 (including 4a) uses NanoSIM and Pixel 5 seems to be the same. I'm not sure what eSIM is, I'm assuming it's not a physical card?
That’s correct - no card, just an Embedded SIM. It holds the network info and can be activated remotely by the service provider.

A great cheaper phone might be the Samsung S20 FE. It’s $600 US at launch, and has a Snapdragon 865.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
That’s correct - no card, just an Embedded SIM. It holds the network info and can be activated remotely by the service provider.

A great cheaper phone might be the Samsung S20 FE. It’s $600 US at launch, and has a Snapdragon 865.

It's $949 in Canada without a plan (and directly from retailers), sad times. I think I'll go with the Pixel 5.

But lets say in the future is it easy to transfer apps and authenticators from a Pixel to a Samsung?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's $949 in Canada without a plan (and directly from retailers), sad times. I think I'll go with the Pixel 5.

But lets say in the future is it easy to transfer apps and authenticators from a Pixel to a Samsung?
I’ve never used a pixel myself, sorry.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Samsung phones have had an issue in the past where the GPS radio stops working reliably. Sounds like that’s what you have. It requires a replacement radio.

Looks like from recent reviews in the Play Store for Google Maps that it may be an app thing. Tons of other people having problems the past few weeks.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I had an S8 that had a dead pixel, switched from that to an iPhone, which was good for a while but I started to miss features of Android as iPhone is a much more limited OS, so I switched back to my S8 for a while until I could save some for $ for a Pixel 5.

Just got my Pixel 5 a couple of days ago during my lunch break. Wow I love it I'm glad I didn't go for the OnePlus or a Samsung.

This phone is so smooth, the cameras fantastic, Android 11 is great, no problem with games, the battery life is great too, I think that has to do with the display not being the highest resolution and with the chipset not being as powerful as the flagships like the ones mentioned above.

Google is becoming what OnePlus used to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->