The Official Alexander Ovechkin Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Foppa_Rules said:
The two against the Czech Republic was in the Eurotour, before the WC. So he has a goal and an assist so far in the WC. He plays again today against Sweden.

thanks, Foppa. :)

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Foppa_Rules said:
The two against the Czech Republic was in the Eurotour, before the WC. So he has a goal and an assist so far in the WC. He plays again today against Sweden.

Actually Ovechkin scored 2 goals (5th and 6th ones) in the game vs Denmark.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Foppa_Rules said:
Then why didn't he get credit for it?

This question not to me.

Foppa_Rules said:
And the video doesn't work for me...have another link?

The link or the video doesn't work? If 2nd, firstly just unzip the file and then play it, works fine for me.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Haven't been able to see any of the WC games so I can't tell so could someone please tell me what the hells goin on w/ AO and Russia? Are they not playin him enough or is the coaching just clueless or is he just havin a bad tourny?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ZeroTheHero said:
He was on top line against Finland today and didn't look impressive at all. Not even close to where Kovalchuk was a year before his draft... But I base that on two games though, against Finland today and the earlier game where he scored. Check the world champs board for more info.

Oh, and I agree with slay... Ovechkin scored two goals, the stat guys didn't look too closely.

A little more specific? I didn't realize Kovalchuck was playing with men his draft year.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ZeroTheHero said:
Not on the national team, I managed to get a hold of a tape of him playing with Spartak Moscowa though, and he sure looked alot better than Ovy does now...

Ovy had a bad game, but so did two handfuls of established NHL stars on that team. I heard that Tikhonov was the problem.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
ZeroTheHero said:
In this game Tikhonov was not the problem. Puck-hogging and egoism was the problem. Yashin e.g. had two opportunities to pass an open man during the same attack but decided to go by himself although Noronen had him all covered.

Egoism was another factor I read about over on the Russian board. With all due respect to Yashin, he seems to have a Jagr-esque effect on each team he plays for.

I'm just happy to have seen Ovy have success amongst world-class talent at such a young age, (2G, 1A in a prelim. game vs Czechs), and a G, A during qualifying. Didn't he outscore Kovalchuck over the past two weeks?

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
Yes he did. Ovechkin had 4 goals and I think one assist in the exhoibition games--before they took away his linemates and put him on a line with Sushinsky--plus a goal and an assist in the Championship for Either 5 goals 2 assists or 5 goals 1 assist. Not bad for an 18-year old.

He did do much much better playing with Zinovev and Zelepukin (sp?) though. He said in an interview that they had great chemistry and knew where eachother would be before they were there. Then Zinovev either got ousted from the team for drugs or because he wouldn't sign a contract with Team Russia's GM's Superleague team, Avangard Omsk. Avangard has a checkered history so I would not be at all surprised if the latter reason is true. Then Zelepukin (sp?) somehow disappeared from Ovechkin's line so he had to start with all new linemates. Some people commented that Ovechkin looked confused in Russia's last game, so that was probably in part due to that reason and the atmosphere in Russia's lockerroom. I think if anything has been proven in this last year it is that Ovechkin does not do well playing for a team that doesn't really want to win and is willing to work their hardest for it. If you look at the teams he has been on and the different linemates he has had, he does much better on the teams that are serious about winning with linemates who are willing to work hard. He doesn't do well with prima donnas who don't care if they win or lose or even if they do want to win they are not willing to give their full and best effort to help the case.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
http://www.younggunshockey.com/ovechkin.htm

Some more on AO, notice the Kovalchuck comparison. ;) McKeens uses the better Kovy parallel as well, says he may be the best Russian prospect since Makarov, and mentions that his recent WJC hasn't hurt his stock one bit. He handled his sub-par play with greaty maturity and sense of responsiblity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad