The Official 2016 WJC Thread | 2 (CAN: Virtanen, USA: Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Guy just wants to be a scout but still holding the role/title of a GM... Absolute mistake not to hire a qualified president to do the actual boring GM work if this is how Benning wants to operate.

Benning wasn't even in the country during the first 4 games of the playoffs last year.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
When we get Drouin at the trade deadline and Mathews at the draft :amazed::yo::handclap:

That is the pauser rebuild: "It is really ****ing simple guys, all we have to do is get all the good ****ing young players from every team and then draft Matthews #1 OA."

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
That is the pauser rebuild: "It is really ****ing simple guys, all we have to do is get all the good ****ing young players from every team and then draft Matthews #1 OA."

To be fair trading the Sedins would get us some good young players, and then without them we'd have a hell of a shot at Matthews

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
And if Virtanen had produced like Svenchnikov has the past two seasons (or better, since he was drafted 13 spots higher), I have a feeling that the Vancouver media and this board would be a lot more forgiving.

But, you go ahead and fixate on the WJC as the main point of contention, rather than it being just the latest disappointment in a thoroughly disappointing development trajectory.

Exactly take a look at Boeser, he isn't having a great tournament but he's having a good season so no one really cares.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
Exactly take a look at Boeser, he isn't having a great tournament but he's having a good season so no one really cares.

Well yeah but 2 completely different situations , Virtanen is supposed to be this NHL player ready to dominate lesser competition... Whereas Boeser is still underage in his first WJ where not much is expected from on a pretty stacked US team.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Well yeah but 2 completely different situations , Virtanen is supposed to be this NHL player ready to dominate lesser competition... Whereas Boeser is still underage in his first WJ where not much is expected from on a pretty stacked US team.

Around here people also see Virtanen as a bottom 6 player and see Boeser as top 6 sniper. I chalk it up as a meaningless tournament for the most part.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Around here people also see Virtanen as a bottom 6 player and see Boeser as top 6 sniper. I chalk it up as a meaningless tournament for the most part.

I wouldn't say it's meaningless but it's overanalyzed and overrated.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser is a year younger, wasn't spoon fed top-6 minutes, and still outproduced Virtanen. Also, his production outside of the WJC actually tracks like that of a scoring-calibre NHL prospect, so he tends to get the benefit of the doubt. When Virtanen starts to track like a top-6 prospect, I'll be glad to cut him some slack.

Lol...Virtanen has a late August '96 birthdate and Boeser is a Feb. '97 birth-date...a difference of about five months....there are guys at the Roxy who have hangovers that last longer than that ...In retrospect, too bad Benning didn't send McCann to Finland as well....then Canuck posters could rip all three prospects for their play in a tournament that's virtually meaningless....why is it meaningless?....Because if all the eligible Canadian teenagers in the NHL were playing for this team, Canada would win every year.:shakehead

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
The only people saying this tournament is meaningless are those unwilling to see that Virtanen's play has been a disappointment outside of it. Fact is, he hasn't impressed since he was drafted (not in the WHL, AHL or now in the NHL).

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
I wouldn't say it's meaningless but it's overanalyzed and overrated.

It really is meaningless, only way this tournament means anything to a player is if they haven't been drafted yet. Fans and media make this tournament a huge deal, although it is nice to see top prospects play against each other.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
It's hardly meaningless, but it does get over-analyzed.
Yup, few come January, the darkness and cold (at now -18) Helsinki, for tourist. Now here is over 200 scout and 16 NHL team GM. The tournament is important for teams.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Would Domi, Ekblad, McCann, McDavid, Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart and Fabbri have made a difference to Canada in this tournament?..Of course they would....they're all NHL players who were eligible for this tournament....Russia, the Finns and the Swedes all release their best teenagers playing in their pro leagues....if every NHL team released their players Canada would probably never lose another WJC.....so yes, this tournament means very little in terms of assessing the strength of teen-age players.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver

Would Domi, Ekblad, McCann, McDavid, Sam Bennett, Sam Reinhart and Fabbri have made a difference to Canada in this tournament?..Of course they would....they're all NHL players who were eligible for this tournament....Russia, the Finns and the Swedes all release their best teenagers playing in their pro leagues....if every NHL team released their players Canada would probably never lose another WJC.....so yes, this tournament means very little in terms of assessing the strength of teen-age players.

Domi and Reinhart are too old for this tournament. I get your point but it doesn't excuse the fact that Virtanen underwhelmed.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'm gonna be honest.

He isn't lived up to my expectations. I thought he would crush this tournament just based on my viewings in UND.

My expectations were set way too high. I am still very optimistic about Boeser.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
It really is meaningless, only way this tournament means anything to a player is if they haven't been drafted yet. Fans and media make this tournament a huge deal, although it is nice to see top prospects play against each other.

Is this some kind of joke? Do you have any idea how meaningful it is for these kids to have the maple leaf on the front of their sweater?

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I'm gonna be honest.

He isn't lived up to my expectations. I thought he would crush this tournament just based on my viewings in UND.

My expectations were set way too high. I am still very optimistic about Boeser.

He would've been a little better on the smaller ice imo. Same with Virtanen. Boeser needs to work on his first step.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Yea i know right.

"Just get good young players"

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Yeah and your, "Johansen will sign here, bank on it" theory is so much better :laugh:

Thats in addition to keeping WD and tanking for chychurn while benning continues drafting nhl all stars like mccann.

Pauser's plan is fire everyone. Trade everyone (especially sedins)And have competent gm's while we burn for 3 top 5 picks.

Mine is keep calm and boeser on.

Johansen is a cherry on the cake from connections. And ud think when his line mate baertschi and travis green are being gifted core roles a little bird may be right.

coastal_nuck

Jun 28, 2006
Thats in addition to keeping WD and tanking for chychurn while benning continues drafting nhl all stars like mccann.

Pauser's plan is fire everyone. Trade everyone (especially sedins)And have competent gm's while we burn for 3 top 5 picks.

Mine is keep calm and boeser on.

Johansen is a cherry on the cake from connections. And ud think when his line mate baertschi and travis green are being gifted core roles a little bird may be right.

If you don't get that your plan is far fetched, there is no helping you. Drafting NHL all stars? Benning has participated in 2 drafts so far and no one is even proven yet. The Virtanen pick was ill advised and trading away Forsling for a guy we subsequently ended up giving away for free is only a part of the reason why he has been at best mediocre at his job.

Keep calm, hah! It sounds like you're basing your composure on nothing but contingencies that are neither likely or probable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad