The Official 2016 WJC Thread | 2 (CAN: Virtanen, USA: Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Next year, team Canada will be in a pool with Latvia, Slovakia, and the bronze and silver medal winners. My prediction is that will be US and Sweden.

Wrong already, US lost to Russia and will play for bronze vs Sweden, so they cannot finish in the silver and bronze.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Or perhaps this tourny means nothing for players' development

It certainly doesn't mean everything, but performing at a high level in this tournament is a very good sign for any prospect. I don't think it means nothing. Regardless, it's not like Jake was doing really well and then had a bad tournament. It just showed his lack of development and his faults that we've all noticed, on a big stage against his peers.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
And Detroit fans know that so they don't overreact to it?

And if Virtanen had produced like Svenchnikov has the past two seasons (or better, since he was drafted 13 spots higher), I have a feeling that the Vancouver media and this board would be a lot more forgiving.

But, you go ahead and fixate on the WJC as the main point of contention, rather than it being just the latest disappointment in a thoroughly disappointing development trajectory.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Benning intended to be there. I read an article the other day that implied Benning was starting to be under the microscope and had to deal with issues surrounding the team. Also that ownership accompanied the team on the latest road trip.

Link? Wouldn't mind reading that. Thanks.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Willes+Benning+steering+Canucks+through+storm/11620203/story.html

This week, the Canucks GM had hoped to fly to Finland on a scouting mission at the world juniors. Instead, he finds himself in Vancouver, sorting through a grotesque series of injuries while determining the next round of call-ups from the farm team in Utica, N.Y.

Those injuries, coupled with the aforementioned youth movement, have also left the Canucks in a mighty bind.

Yes, they’ve proven to be resilient this season and, yes, they should start getting some bodies back in the next couple of weeks. But there have also been too many losses like Monday night’s, and that has started to take its toll on the players, the coaches and the fans.

He also had ample opportunity to explain the master plan to Francesco Aquilini when the Canucks chairman accompanied the team on its most recent road trip. Interesting bit of timing that.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Guy just wants to be a scout but still holding the role/title of a GM... Absolute mistake not to hire a qualified president to do the actual boring GM work if this is how Benning wants to operate.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Botchford mentioned on the radio (last week I think) that Aquilini was in the room after the Tampa game talking to the players about what's wrong etc etc. It was apparently an odd situation. Something team ownership around the league just don't do. There is no question that Aquilini is expecting playoffs and has given that mandate.

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Botchford mentioned on the radio (last week I think) that Aquilini was in the room after the Tampa game talking to the players about what's wrong etc etc. It was apparently an odd situation. Something team ownership around the league just don't do. There is no question that Aquilini is expecting playoffs and has given that mandate.

Brutal. Brutal, brutal. I used to like this ownership (as owners of the team, not as condo developers) because they spend money like it means nothing, but stuff like this makes me sick. Imagine the arrogance of a money man thinking he can inspire better performances from professional hockey players and coaches. Just who does he think he is? And that isn't even mentioning the warped notions he must have about where this team is in its life cycle if he expects them to actually be competing in a serious way this year.

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
Brutal. Brutal, brutal. I used to like this ownership (as owners of the team, not as condo developers) because they spend money like it means nothing, but stuff like this makes me sick. Imagine the arrogance of a money man thinking he can inspire better performances from professional hockey players and coaches. Just who does he think he is? And that isn't even mentioning the warped notions he must have about where this team is in its life cycle if he expects them to actually be competing in a serious way this year.

This team clearly needs a dinner with Tom Brady

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Maybe I'm being a homer but Boeser didn't seem to have much of an opportunity. not much ice time and no PP time. I would expect more opportunity for a guy with his shot..

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Maybe I'm being a homer but Boeser didn't seem to have much of an opportunity. not much ice time and no PP time. I would expect more opportunity for a guy with his shot..

From all accounts, Boeser didn't do much in this tournament either, but unlike Virtanen, posters aren't yet ready to throw him under the bus...ah yes the virtues of flying under the radar screen in a tournament that really means bumpkis in terms of a player's NHL development.:sarcasm:

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
From all accounts, Boeser didn't do much in this tournament either, but unlike Virtanen, posters aren't yet ready to throw him under the bus...ah yes the virtues of flying under the radar screen in a tournament that really means bumpkis in terms of a player's NHL development.:sarcasm:

Boeser is a year younger, wasn't spoon fed top-6 minutes, and still outproduced Virtanen. Also, his production outside of the WJC actually tracks like that of a scoring-calibre NHL prospect, so he tends to get the benefit of the doubt. When Virtanen starts to track like a top-6 prospect, I'll be glad to cut him some slack.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

Man, if this is true, I'm really hoping this team tanks hard....doesn't speak volumes about the job security for either Benning or Desjardins if the owner is crashing the dressing-room at the tail-end of a bad roadtrip....not even sure Jerry Jones with the Cowboys would pull a stunt like that.

Skriko

Jul 27, 2014
Benning intended to be there. I read an article the other day that implied Benning was starting to be under the microscope and had to deal with issues surrounding the team.
Benning wasn't hear now (he was here u18 2014), but John Weisbrod is. Hopefully he can see tomorrow
how high-quality players Finland has ;)

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Things that I was looking forward to:

1)WJC
2)Trade deadline
3)Draft

Number 1 was a complete DUD, lets see how the other two go.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Things that I was looking forward to:

1)WJC
2)Trade deadline
3)Draft

Number 1 was a complete DUD, lets see how the other two go.

Pretty much how I feel too. Was looking forward to WJC as a break from this gross season and that wound up being a complete nightmare. Which makes me nervous about how the TDL and draft are going to go. Seems I can't have anything nice that is hockey related this season.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Guy just wants to be a scout but still holding the role/title of a GM... Absolute mistake not to hire a qualified president to do the actual boring GM work if this is how Benning wants to operate.

Well, I like the concept, but when the team has issues it needs to deal with and you oh lose to an inferior opponent in a 7 game series it just looks bad. Even if it made no difference and super Trev there who is the real boss, you just have to have the sense to protect yourself from those types of criticisms. I am sure since his bosses hired him to be in part a good scout he is confused how this is now a problem because the team sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad