News Article: The Nylander Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The being made whole is the issue, not the player himself. A little cap could have been saved there had he just paid him for the time he was willing to play.
Two different people have now said Nylander was “made whole”. I asked both of them if Dubas ever actually even said that. Both didn’t reply.

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Two different people have now said Nylander was “made whole”. I asked both of them if Dubas ever actually even said that. Both didn’t reply.
200w.gif

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The being made whole is the issue, not the player himself. A little cap could have been saved there had he just paid him for the time he was willing to play.

I just think there's always going to be traded offs with contracts. It was something that helped bring a difficult negotiation to a close an so while i get being irked by it (especially with how his season goes) long term i think it was better than potentially the alternative of the player not getting locked up then

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I get it. He is paid an affordable price and played to that expectation on his second year. Lets not pretend that he is outplaying his contract though because he still owes a bit of a tab based on year 1. Year 2 he played par.

For me, the value thats important is how they all perform over the next 4-5 seasons, which goes beyond Nylander.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
I get it. He is paid an affordable price and played to that expectation on his second year. Lets not pretend that he is outplaying his contract though because he still owes a bit of a tab based on year 1. Year 2 he played par.

Its funny how these posters think nylander has an amazing deal after 1 terrible season and 1 good while marner is on a terrible deal after one decent season.

Its like they dont ever try to hide their biases.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Its funny how these posters think nylander has an amazing deal after 1 terrible season and 1 good while marner is on a terrible deal after one decent season.

Its like they dont ever try to hide their biases.

Marners deal is terrible not because he cant earn it, but because it was well above his closest comparables and he will never be able to exceed it.

Nylander falls in line with his biggest comparables (less than Pastrnak more than Ehlers) while also being at an AAV that he can reasonably exceed.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Marners deal is terrible not because he cant earn it, but because it was well above his closest comparables and he will never be able to exceed it.

Nylander falls in line with his biggest comparables (less than Pastrnak more than Ehlers) while also being at an AAV that he can reasonably exceed.

This is false.

Marners comparable was matthews and he got less money but more term. Matthews had 70 points and got 11.634 x 5, marner had 94 and got 10.9 x 6. If you want to be upset with someone, it should be directed at matthews and dubas. If matthews takes a reasonable deal, say 11.3 x 8, marner isn't getting 10.9 x 6.

Nylander took more money than pasta and ehlers and completely wasted an entire year of it. It takes more than 1 good year to make up for that.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This is false.

Marners comparable was matthews and he got less money but more term. Matthews had 70 points and got 11.634 x 5, marner had 94 and got 10.9 x 6. If you want to be upset with someone, it should be directed at matthews and dubas. If matthews takes a reasonable deal, say 11.3 x 8, marner isn't getting 10.9 x 6.

Nylander took more money than pasta and ehlers and completely wasted an entire year of it. It takes more than 1 good year to make up for that.

Marners comparable was Kucherov or Kane's post ELC contract not Matthews. Matthews is a goal scoring C that is good defensively and his closest comparable was Eichel.

At the time of the signing in Caphit%:
Marner - 6 years x 13.37%
Kucherov - 8 years x 11.95%
Kanes post ELC - 5 years x 11.09%

Matthews - 5 years x 14.63%
Eichel - 8 years x 13.33%

Nylander did not take more than Pasta but did take more than Ehlers

Nylander - 6 years x 8.76%
Pasta - 6 years x 8.89%
Ehlers - 7 years x 8%

As you can see Matthews term and Marners cap hit are what varied most from the comparables which is why I am happy with neither.

Last edited:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
That Marner deal is the one that could get Dubas fired. Mathews you have to pay, Nylander you could move but Marner is blackmail for a winger.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
That Marner deal is the one that could get Dubas fired. Mathews you have to pay, Nylander you could move but Marner is blackmail for a winger.

He should have Marner 4 * $9.5 Million because if we haven't won it by then, he won't be the reason we do. I watched Marner last year,teams have him figured out now.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Allow to somewhat clarify. In retrospect, since he didn't want both Mathews expiring in five years. He should have offered Marner 4 years at Kucherov money. Like it or not but based on last year, Mathews is our top guy that we need to keep. I'm not so sure you keep both Marner and Nylander if we lose next year.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He has a $45M deal and he missed 1/3 of the first season. He did not get docked 1/3 of the pay for that first year. He was either "made whole" or his salary was $7.4M, take your pick.

View attachment 376991
Yes, he did get docked. He did not get his full 45 mil. He for 42 mil. Why? Because he missed 1/3rd of the first season.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Do you honestly think Marner can't be moved? He's 23 signed in his prime and is a 90+ point forward. We had the same 10.8 wasted on Marleau and Zaitsev

I don't think any GM can afford him now.Times have changed and quite frankly, Marner wasn't a game changer last year. Who do you see paying him,?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad