News Article: The Nylander Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
View attachment 369378

At least Nylander was scoring this year.

A sign of a good goal scorer is Even strength goals.

Marner was 170th in the League in EV Goals.
Behind Kapanen and Ennis.

Sad.
And the year before led the NHL in 5v5 primary points.

I'd add this, Marner came much closer to living up to his contract in year one, than Willy did in year one of his new contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garthinater

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
View attachment 369378

At least Nylander was scoring this year.

A sign of a good goal scorer is Even strength goals.

Marner was 170th in the League in EV Goals.
Behind Kapanen and Ennis.

Sad.

Marner is clearly better. When you factor in caps it becomes a tougher decision on who you’d keep if 1 has to go. I don’t think Marner is 4 mill better. Also anything above 8.5 to me is crazy for a winger but I guess that’s a whole different topic

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Kerfoot isn’t a player i wouldn’t blink an eye for if they moved him. Nylander is young. Getting himself to play with more chip on his shoulder and intensity would elevate him to who knows what levels. He should play with a chip on the shoulder and drink straight rum or something for edge haha

Moving Kerfoot might leave the team with only short term, veteran options down the middle. I'm not very surprised Dubas chose to trade Kapanen and Johnsson instead. A few of the team's best players are still young. We're just somewhat viewed as having a window because of the uncertainty that could happen once their contracts run out.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Moving Kerfoot might leave the team with only short term, veteran options down the middle. I'm not very surprised Dubas chose to trade Kapanen and Johnsson instead. A few of the team's best players are still young. We're just somewhat viewed as having a window because of the uncertainty that could happen once their contracts run out.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas moved him still. This team could be dominant as a counterpunching team with Kerfoot nonetheless. If keefe can get a buy in on defense first play we are a different animal nobody would see coming.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I wouldn’t be surprised if Dubas moved him still. This team could be dominant as a counterpunching team with Kerfoot nonetheless. If keefe can get a buy in on defense first play we are a different animal nobody would see coming.

It wouldn't make sense to rule anything out at this point of the offseason. I just think the heavy lifting potentially has been done by the Leafs already. Then again, there is an argument to be made for having one forward too many. I'm hopeful that Kerfoot - if here - and the Leafs will have a bounce back season.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And the year before led the NHL in 5v5 primary points.

I'd add this, Marner came much closer to living up to his contract in year one, than Willy did in year one of his new contract.

Though moving forward Nylander is paid/expected to be a first line scorer while Marner will be paid/expected to be a top 2-3 winger in the league. The odds i think favor Nylander moving forward in terms of bang for your buck contract value.

Happy to have both guys on the team regardless.

Reactions: TopCheese

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Though moving forward Nylander is paid/expected to be a first line scorer while Marner will be paid/expected to be a top 2-3 winger in the league. The odds i think favor Nylander moving forward in terms of bang for your buck contract value.

Happy to have both guys on the team regardless.
If Nylander doesn't have another year like 2018-19. All I'm saying is that people hammering home this great Nylander deal and then bashing Marner are ignoring Marner has probably provided closer to better value on his deal so far given how dramatically Nylander underperformed his in 2018-19.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If Nylander doesn't have another year like 2018-19. All I'm saying is that people hammering home this great Nylander deal and then bashing Marner are ignoring Marner has probably provided closer to better value on his deal so far given how dramatically Nylander underperformed his in 2018-19.
Honestly, the past is the past. What they do in their remaining contract plus how far the Leafs go will be more important.
It is always easier for someone making close to 7mil to outperform the contract vs someone with close to 11mil contract.
For example if Willie gets close to 80pts, he is outperforming his contract, where Marner needs to be close to 100pts for him to be worth his contract. That applies to AM and JT or anyone else too.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, the past is the past. What they do in their remaining contract plus how far the Leafs go will be more important.
It is always easier for someone making close to 7mil to outperform the contract vs someone with close to 11mil contract.
For example if Willie gets close to 80pts, he is outperforming his contract, where Marner needs to be close to 100pts for him to be worth his contract. That applies to AM and JT or anyone else too.
The past is something that should be accounted for. Marner has lived up to his deal more than Nylander has given how badly Willy played in year one.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The past is something that should be accounted for. Marner has lived up to his deal more than Nylander has given how badly Willy played in year one.
Yes and no.
Leafs didn’t make the playoffs this year and this core have not win a round. If they win the Cup next year, are they less worthy of being Champions than say the Dallas Stars or Avs or Islanders bc these teams won more rounds than the Leafs over the past few years?
Players should be accountable of having bad seasons but at the same time what they do in their remaining deals are always more important than what they did in the past.
Or else, it is the same as saying Leafs are Cup Champions bc they won Cups in the past.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yes and no.
Leafs didn’t make the playoffs this year and this core have not win a round. If they win the Cup next year, are they less worthy of being Champions than say the Dallas Stars or Avs or Islanders bc these teams won more rounds than the Leafs over the past few years?
Players should be accountable of having bad seasons but at the same time what they do in their remaining deals are always more important than what they did in the past.
Or else, it is the same as saying Leafs are Cup Champions bc they won Cups in the past.
Except when part of the argument is that the Nylander deal is great because he did well this year ignores the value lost in how he underperformed it the previous year, and I’d say he underperformed it in year one more than he overperformed it in year 2. We will see what happens with the remaining 4.

Reactions: ToneDog and Korg

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Dubas caved on this deal? O..kay.. Marner's, yes, but this was a good deal from the start

Yes pretty common knowledge that Nylander was paid for the full season while playing only half.

Dubas gave nylander a 10.277 million caphit during year one of his contract to make up for the couple months willy sat out on the team.

He followed that up with 27 points in 54 games or 41 in 82.

Marner, in year 1 of his new contract, paced for 94 points.

Its awesome that nylander produced this year but it was not a good deal from the start.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Dubas gave nylander a 10.277 million caphit during year one of his contract to make up for the couple months willy sat out on the team.

Its awesome that nylander produced this year but it was not a good deal from the start.

Marner hit 94 points over 82 games in 2019/20 and then a 93 point pace this past season while being an impact player in all play situations (ES/PP/PK).

Nylander's basically been riding the coattails of better players around him (ES) yet for some reason has a very weird cult-following endlessly hyping him up, not unlike one Mikhail Grabovski, who was also once strangely honed in on by a segment of the fanbase as some sort of irreplaceable talent..

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca

Marner played the full season and had a full training camp after squeezing the team for everything he could. Also was a limp noodle in the playoffs.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Wondering why you think its harder for Marner. Annualizing their point streaks, he was closer as a percentage completion than Willy this year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner played the full season and had a full training camp after squeezing the team for everything he could. Also was a limp noodle in the playoffs.
Yes I believed he missed one day of camp and was paid for a full season. Nylander was paid for a full season while playing half and was terrible. This is why everyone agrees Dubas caved.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Nylander was paid for a full season while playing half and was terrible. This is why everyone agrees Dubas caved.
Nylander played 2/3 of the season, not half. Nylander was not getting paid while he was not playing. No, everybody does not agree that Dubas caved. That is a false claim you have repeatedly made all on your own, with absolutely no evidence. Dubas held firm at a sub-7m number that worked for the team to the very end; refusing to "cave", even if it meant no Nylander that season (and probably forever). Nylander himself admitted that he called up Dubas in the final moments to accept.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015

Nylander also squeezed the leafs for every dollar he could but he then paid the leafs back with 27 points in 54 games. It takes more than 1 good season to make up for that.

Also, while willy sat out on the team, we were top 5 in the league. Once we got nylander back we began a slide down the standings. Very strange tbh.

At least marner is producing right away, he didn't need an entire year to sort himself out.

Marners playoffs >> nylanders playoffs.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Nylander played 2/3 of the season, not half. Nylander was not getting paid while he was not playing. No, everybody does not agree that Dubas caved. That is a false claim you have repeatedly made all on your own, with absolutely no evidence. Dubas held firm at a sub-7m number that worked for the team to the very end; refusing to "cave", even if it meant no Nylander that season (and probably forever). Nylander himself admitted that he called up Dubas in the final moments to accept.

He signed a 45 million dollar contract, which was 7.5 per season. Nylander sitting out - and not getting paid - for part of the contract reduced the cap hit to just under 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad