News Article: The Nylander Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Dubas should have waited.

LIKE I SAID. and everyone knew.

It was obvious Dubas was going to overpay.

If Marner wanted to take the team to the cleaners, he should be traded for a Top line RD. And he should sit until that happens. He doesnt have the balls to sit out an entire year anyway.
Marners closest comparable was Kane.
Kane signed for 5 years for north of 9mm million cap adjusted. Dubas didnt want Matthews and Marners contracts to expire the same time. Adding an additional year on Marner costs 1mm more. That is a .9mm overpay.
Just paying willy for his time off values willy's pay at .4mm over if he deserved 7mm over 6. He didnt. Ehlers signed at 6.5 x 7 years (cap adjusted) and he was his closest comparable. Take a ufa year off and that salary would have been sub 6. That is more than .9mm as an overpay and a much higher percentage of base pay overpay.
As for rfa contract performance, Marner has far outshined Willy. Willys aggregate annualized points has been around 58 per year while marner has been at 93.
Looks to me that Willy took Dubas to the cleaners first and to a greater degree. The mental gymnastics you and others go to to blame Marner for the cap woes is amazing.
Dont get me started on Matthews overpayment. But this thread has been about Willy. Let's celebrate how much of a value he is compared to everyone just because....well just because.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Can you remind me how we got the starting goalie that got us into the playoffs during his first 3 seasons?

That move right there.....is where everything went wrong. At that point if the leafs only had an ok goalie and didn't make it into the playoffs at all. We would have had an extra 1st and 2nd. We also would have picked much higher year in year out. At this point if we had just flipping picked our picks and not made any trades we would probably be in a better place right now. This year we could have gotten a Goalie no problem.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
That move right there.....is where everything went wrong. At that point if the leafs only had an ok goalie and didn't make it into the playoffs at all. We would have had an extra 1st and 2nd. We also would have picked much higher year in year out. At this point if we had just flipping picked our picks and not made any trades we would probably be in a better place right now. This year we could have gotten a Goalie no problem.

So getting a good starting goalie and beginning to develop a winning culture after 15 years of losing is where everything went wrong?

Ok then, have a nice evening.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
EV.goals.Top25.Nylander.jpg

At least Nylander was scoring this year.

A sign of a good goal scorer is Even strength goals.

Marner was 170th in the League in EV Goals.
Behind Kapanen and Ennis.

Sad.

Reactions: saffronleaf

wired14

Jan 28, 2008
Nylander will always have the natural talent to put up goals and points.
Would like to see him work towards becoming a true complete 200 foot player. He's got all the tools to do so, he just looks uninterested in some aspects of the game. Especially getting better at winning puck battles, he looks very strong in his legs/core, I'm certain he could do better if he wanted to.

This says it all right here. “He could do better if he wanted to.” All I kept hearing during the season and playoffs was that we have the skill, do we have the will? If we have players whose interest and engagement level is questionable, it’s my opinion that we move on. He’s one of the most talented players I’ve ever seen in a Leafs uniform. But whether people believe if he is engaged or not, the fact that it is CONSTANTLY in question, with fans, the media and with coaches, says enough to me.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What's sad is he still out produces Matty on a team friendly deal in comparison lol

Who pays 12m for a 70point center

Who pays $11 million for a winger whose point totals has been in the 60's in 3 of his 4 seasons? Again, for those who need constant reminding.

Marner: 300 Games, 83 Goals, 291 Points
Matthews: 282 Games, 158 Goals, 285 Points.
Nylander: 307 Games, 86 Goals, 221 Points.

It's not particularly close. Nylander is good value, but not up with the other.....yet.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
291 is higher than 285. Then check per 60 minutes... then subtract all that extra def pl time the kid has to soak up cause our two 12m centers cant pk

But lets blame the skinny kid who needs a couple years

Last edited:
Reactions: cookie

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018

This is a joke, right?

Reactions: egd27

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Not that I believe either one of them will ever be better than him, but it is encouraging to know that both Nylander and Marner out produced Mackinnon in their first 300 games.

It was year 5 for Mac when he took off, coincidently about the same time Rantanen arrived.

Again, Marner and Nylander are not anywhere near him, but they are still very early in their career.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nylander is now viewed as one of the best contract in general. Is that something most agree on now? Here is a recent article.There is lots more than the best contracts to chew on in this article. Fox done a good job touching on some points. Good read to get your thinking going.
Maple Leafs Mailbag: What are Toronto's best and worst contracts?

It becomes tougher to have the best contract when that contract gets closer to those at the top of the payroll. Nylander had his bumps in the road - the late start and the ensuing effect that had on season one of the new deal - but things are looking better now. The opinion on long term contracts can also fluctuate from one season to the next. He isn't Matthews or Tavares or Marner on the ice IMO. He also isn't compensated as such.

I agree with Hyman having the team's best contract. Mikheyev could challenge or surpass that if he becomes a mainstay in the top six though. I'd also agree with Kerfoot having the "worst" contract. It isn't terrible. Still, Johnsson and Kapanen being swapped out for cheaper options unfortunately does make it stand out in comparison among the rest of the bottom six forwards.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Check out this line.
Muzzy/Bogosian. Matthews/Thornton/Simmonds
Just throw that at top lines one shift and then a checking line next time and then just keep mixing it up to be as unpredictable as possible.

Rielly/Brodie. Nylander/Tavares/Marner next etc

haha 1100 pounds of hard to handle with that first combo.

Thinking outside the box sure but who cares. Keefe has it made this year with the options he has with this roster.

This team could be so deadly as a counterpuncher style team

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
It becomes tougher to have the best contract when that contract gets closer to those at the top of the payroll. Nylander had his bumps in the road - the late start and the ensuing effect that had on season one of the new deal - but things are looking better now. The opinion on long term contracts can also fluctuate from one season to the next. He isn't Matthews or Tavares or Marner on the ice IMO. He also isn't compensated as such.

I agree with Hyman having the team's best contract. Mikheyev could challenge or surpass that if he becomes a mainstay in the top six though. I'd also agree with Kerfoot having the "worst" contract. It isn't terrible. Still, Johnsson and Kapanen being swapped out for cheaper options unfortunately does make it stand out in comparison among the rest of the bottom six forwards.
Kerfoot isn’t a player i wouldn’t blink an eye for if they moved him. Nylander is young. Getting himself to play with more chip on his shoulder and intensity would elevate him to who knows what levels. He should play with a chip on the shoulder and drink straight rum or something for edge haha

Reactions: Buds17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t think anyone is opposed to Nylanders contract. It was more Dubas caving that was the issue.

Reactions: Jmo89

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I am always to this point thinking that Robertson will be playing for the leafs. It might not be the best thinking on my part as this evolves. I wouldn’t mind him playing AHL if he’s allowed.
The Marlies are going to be a handful this year if it goes all veteran Leafs. It kind of looks like we will see our young guys playing with the Marlies. Potential is there for the Marlies to have another Calder cup run Leafers. I like that thought much better than anything that resembles rushing our prospects still.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t think anyone is opposed to Nylanders contract. It was more Dubas caving that was the issue.
Looks like caving was a opinion that has been proven misinformed. Dubas may be a better evaluator of talent than the fans portraying he caved is what it looks like now.
I sometimes wonder where they all went. No really I don’t care where they went ha. Would be cool to see a couple come up and say “ boy was i wrong on that one”. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad