The Nylander Chronicles Part XXI - Legal Drinking Age in the US Version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Uh... yes it does.
No. We're talking about two different factors, that can both co-exist. You were talking about recency in sample size, which I agree with. I was on the other hand talking about development paths.

Yes, the last year is the most important. That's true. But if the last year is fairly equal between two players, and the same for the middle year, will it really matter if someone was a replacement level player in the NHL that first year, or if he was a star in a lesser league? My point is that no, it won't.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Correct. Thus, no one is going to through 8 M AAV and 4 first round picks for Nylander.
Hence why Nylander as a RFA has NO LEVERAGE and the Leafs should hold fast on whatever numbers they have presented. As much as this is the business side of the game, Nylander has to realize that the only way to increase his stock is to play and impact the game.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Nylander misses practice in Austria. It would be hilarious if someone at Pearson paged for "Mr. William Nylander to please report to ...".

And then watch the boards exploded.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You really don’t get it how journalism works, do you?

You pull a few quotes from an opinion column.....what is your point?

I think I have an idea of how sports journalism works but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. My feeling is that unless sources are mentioned and preferably identified, everything is an opinion column.

And that excerpt from Cox was idiotic. Of course that's just my opinion ...

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
No. We're talking about two different factors, that can both co-exist. You were talking about recency in sample size, which I agree with. I was on the other hand talking about development paths.

Yes, the last year is the most important. That's true. But if the last year is fairly equal between two players, and the same for the middle year, will it really matter if someone was a replacement level player in the NHL that first year, or if he was a star in a lesser league? My point is that no, it won't.
I’d agree with all of that, except that 34 goals 70 points is “fairly equal” to 20 goals 60 points. It’s not.

But will again say that what happened when these guys were 18 year old rookies means almost nothing compared to how they performed on the last year of their elc.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Nylander misses practice in Austria. It would be hilarious if someone at Pearson paged for "Mr. William Nylander to please report to ...".

And then watch the boards exploded.
If he gets to Pearson, I doubt we'll need a page to know he's here. You can't do anything in Toronto without people knowing.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
This Nylander situation which I predicted, is making me lose more interest in the NHL and the Leafs.

I mean this kid has only scored 20 goals and he wants HUGE money? Its sickening.

I would be afraid to pay him anything over 4 million, cause he could just end up partying and tanking, that is how non competitive I feel he is.

Its bad all around. I am sure the Leafs rue the day they drafted him.

We need more Leaf fans like you.:baghead:

Reactions: Jack Bauer

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The best part and also the most frustrating part in a away, is watching all these tv talking head grasping at "feelings" and "senses" . Not a single one of them knows even the slightest on what is being said between Dubas and Gross or Nylander.

They keep talking like they have information, but if anybody presses them they are forced to retreat and admit its just a "sense". Mckenzie has been especially bad with this lately. Dubas and Gross could have had a fist fight behind closed doors and these guys wouldnt be the wiser.
Being around the game they would certainly have better "feelings" or "senses" than anyone else.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
The best part and also the most frustrating part in a away, is watching all these tv talking head grasping at "feelings" and "senses" . Not a single one of them knows even the slightest on what is being said between Dubas and Gross or Nylander.

They keep talking like they have information, but if anybody presses them they are forced to retreat and admit its just a "sense". Mckenzie has been especially bad with this lately. Dubas and Gross could have had a fist fight behind closed doors and these guys wouldnt be the wiser.

y4E1HVM.gif

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Opinions are like a$$holes everybody has one.

I really don't know who offered what but this is
what I can come up with using common sense.

If the leafs lowballed Willy then most certainly his agent
would leak it. Its called negotiating 101 and it would put pressure on Dubas
from leaf fans.

If the leafs lowballed Willy then why isn't there an offer sheet from
another team. If teams could offer sheet willy for a reasonable
amount that the leafs haven't offered they would get him for
pennies on the dollar.

If Willy is asking for a reasonable amount why haven't the leafs
signed him. They certainly want him on the team.

If willy is asking for too much then the leafs wont sign him to that
and other teams will not put in an offer sheet.

in conclusion
Willys agent hasn't leaked the low ball offer
No offer sheet from another team
No reasonable amount from Willys side as he isn't signed

And last but not least this is where we are
Willy is asking for so much that the leafs wont sign him and other
teams will not pay the price to offer sheet him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Like I thought from day 1 a bridge deal of 2 - 3 years is likely in the cards. Only issue left is the AAV for the bridge. I'm sure Nylander at 6M per season and Leafs likely at 4M per season so the 2M divide is likely still there. Leads me to think it will be a 2 year deal at 10M MAX with no signing bonuses. And then Leafs trade him next summer for a solid #2 dman. The Leaf brass now know what they are dealing with in Nylander and my guess they don't like it and don't want to deal with that BS in the future. We'll see if this is what happens but I'd be willing to take a wager I have it right.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hence why Nylander as a RFA has NO LEVERAGE and the Leafs should hold fast on whatever numbers they have presented. As much as this is the business side of the game, Nylander has to realize that the only way to increase his stock is to play and impact the game.

People that mistreat those that have no leverage regret it when they actually get leverage.

Rielly, Matthews and Nylander weren’t born here. Loyalty comes from being treated fairly.

The no leverage management style is the poorest way forward

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Reactions: ChurchOfMatthews

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think I have an idea of how sports journalism works but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. My feeling is that unless sources are mentioned and preferably identified, everything is an opinion column.

And that excerpt from Cox was idiotic. Of course that's just my opinion ...

No, sources do not need to be identified to be reported as fact. In a lot of cases reporters protect their sources so they don’t burn bridges. The insiders are not making up facts. They are talking to both sides and others in the Hockey industry in an effort to find out the truth. When they get it, you’ll see quotation marks and attribution.

What Damien wrote was an opinion piece filled with facts supporting his opinion.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sources: "William Nylander Deal Is Imminent, Within 48 Hours At The Latest" — Dean Blundell's Sports, News, Podcast Network

Just because unsourced speculation is cool these days. At least this one is a positive article. ~6M bridge seems really steep if true, but I'd be happy to see Willy back on the ice nonetheless.

We are hearing it’s “very very likely a bridge deal around 5.8 to 6.3 million and pen to paper within the next 2-3 days at the latest”.

Those numbers seem high for a bridge deal. Willie does not lose face but Leafs do IMO.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Who is stalking Dubas location today!! Come on people let’s go! 24/7 eyes and ears

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
WOW 6M on a bridge. Well good for Nylander and his dad. The rich get richer. I still think Leafs want this mess over with and will unload him over the summer. Hopefully it is only a 2 year deal so Leaf risk is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad