GDT: The Note vs the Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
There is nothing wrong with my memory, Brian Elliot isn't as good as some of you seem to think he is, he is an average starter on his best day. This team will not win a championship with him between the pipes. He is the same Brian Elliot he has always been, the same one that was between the pipes when the team blew a 2-0 lead in the playoffs a couple of seasons back.

This team has been searching for a consistant starting goalie since Grant Fuhr left here and they are still searching and will continue to search for one until Allen develops into the guy if he even does. At this point I would package Elliot plus whatever to get a piece to help us strengthen another area of the team, go with Allen and Brodeur and let the chips fall where they may.

Do I think that is what they will do? No they will release or trade Marty for whatever they can get back once they are sure Elliot is healthy and will have a strong season again and go no further than round 2 of the playoffs if Elliot is between the pipes.

To me he is nothing more than a strong backup goalie at best and this will be a huge part of the downfall in the playoffs again.

It's not that they haven't tried to find a starting goalie in the period since Fuhr left here they have tried everything ran guys through here at a rapid rate, even made the conference finals with Roman Turek doing the bulk of the work. Which looking back was amazing. But until they solve this revolving goaltender problem they will not win a championship. Hope like heck I am wrong, I would love Elliot to be the guy. Just don't see it with him

Lol he's given up a couple bad goals since coming back from an injury that had him out for a significant amount of time.

Freyj

Oct 5, 2012
Elliott has to have the shortest leash of any goalie in the history of the Blue Note.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Anyone else on board with Jaden "Buzzsaw" Schwartz to go with Frank "the tank"?

All we need is for Jori to get a nickname.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
The Blues have been looking for a consistant starting goaltender since Grant Fuhr left here and until Jake Allen grows into that role we still don't have one. I have never been an Elliot guy and he isn't the answer. I would package him in a deal if they could to upgrade in another area and go with Allen and let Brodeur mentor him as best he can and let the chips fall where they may

If Corey Crawford can win a Stanley Cup, than I see no reason why Brian Elliott can't.

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
There is nothing wrong with my memory, Brian Elliot isn't as good as some of you seem to think he is, he is an average starter on his best day. This team will not win a championship with him between the pipes. He is the same Brian Elliot he has always been, the same one that was between the pipes when the team blew a 2-0 lead in the playoffs a couple of seasons back.

This team has been searching for a consistant starting goalie since Grant Fuhr left here and they are still searching and will continue to search for one until Allen develops into the guy if he even does. At this point I would package Elliot plus whatever to get a piece to help us strengthen another area of the team, go with Allen and Brodeur and let the chips fall where they may.

Do I think that is what they will do? No they will release or trade Marty for whatever they can get back once they are sure Elliot is healthy and will have a strong season again and go no further than round 2 of the playoffs if Elliot is between the pipes.

To me he is nothing more than a strong backup goalie at best and this will be a huge part of the downfall in the playoffs again.

It's not that they haven't tried to find a starting goalie in the period since Fuhr left here they have tried everything ran guys through here at a rapid rate, even made the conference finals with Roman Turek doing the bulk of the work. Which looking back was amazing. But until they solve this revolving goaltender problem they will not win a championship. Hope like heck I am wrong, I would love Elliot to be the guy. Just don't see it with him

You mean THIS Elliott? [#1 reason the Blues had a surge that month]

"Goalie Brian Elliott was named Second Star for April, with his franchise-record (including post-season) 11 wins in the month. He had an 11–2–0 record, 1.28 goals-against-average, .948 save percentage, with three shutouts in 13 games to push the Blues into fourth place."

They then scored 10 goals in 6 games. There aren't many teams that can move on in a series when scoring only 1.6 goals average a game.
There was a definite hole in the team that year but tending wasn't it.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
exactly. I like Jake Allen and he should be our goaltender of the future. But those who call for Elliott to be replaced every time he lets in a goal must have a really short memory

Completely agree, it really is ridiculous. Quick has had a much worse season statistically, then Brian. Has let in a multitude of soft to just down right bad goals (especially on the road) and he's considered one of the best goal tenders in the world. But Elliot can't have a bad game, or let in a couple/few softies without the overreaction police calling for his job, and demoting him to backup status once again. It's incredibly frustrating for this Brian Elliot fan.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Completely agree, it really is ridiculous. Quick has had a much worse season statistically, then Brian. Has let in a multitude of soft to just down right bad goals (especially on the road) and he's considered one of the best goal tenders in the world. But Elliot can't have a bad game, or let in a couple/few softies without the overreaction police calling for his job, and demoting him to backup status once again. It's incredibly frustrating for this Brian Elliot fan.[/QUOTE

Are you saying that you wouldn't take this seasons Quick over Elliot?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I don't have the optimism that you all seem to have and I'll leave it at that the proof will be in the pudding come playoffs, hope this guy is better than what I have seen

Cheers

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Anyone else on board with Jaden "Buzzsaw" Schwartz to go with Frank "the tank"?

All we need is for Jori to get a nickname.

I had the "nickname that Jori" thread going awhile back. I personally liked Biff (because he resembles a young Biff from Back to the Future to me:nod:) or Dean (from the Rat Pack Frank, Sammy & Dean:nod:), but I think the consensus around here voted for, or were partial too Beans. As in Frank 'n' Beans :shakehead :laugh:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Quick had a pedigree and an absurd addition to crushing the Blues single handily. BUT he is human, and is just as fallible. I've watched games where he looks terrible. His over aggressive style leaves him looking stupid several times.

If the 18 guys in front of Elliott play their game. Elliott can lead them to a cup. I'm so tired of hearing about the Penner goal..... the Blues couldn't freaking score, that's why they keep getting booted. We tried an uber goalie last year and what a mistake that was, maybe elliott would of faltered too but clearly an "elite" goalie wasn't to answer.

If your not confident in moose...then I'd suggest to find something else to watch till July, because he's our guy

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Quick had a pedigree and an absurd addition to crushing the Blues single handily. BUT he is human, and is just as fallible. I've watched games where he looks terrible. His over aggressive style leaves him looking stupid several times.

If the 18 guys in front of Elliott play their game. Elliott can lead them to a cup. I'm so tired of hearing about the Penner goal..... the Blues couldn't freaking score, that's why they keep getting booted. We tried an uber goalie last year and what a mistake that was, maybe elliott would of faltered too but clearly an "elite" goalie wasn't to answer.

If your not confident in moose...then I'd suggest to find something else to watch till July, because he's our guy

Dude, I understand he is the guy and have been a fan of this team for longer than I care too say so I hope "Moose" is the guy because you are correct it's his team right now. I just don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning more than a round w him as the no 1 guy

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
One last thing Quick shouldn't even be a comparison here, one cup ring might be luck, two means you are pretty damn good, Quick is pretty damn good

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

I'm with you and this team till the wheels fall off brother. Couldn't agree more!

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
One last thing Quick shouldn't even be a comparison here, one cup ring might be luck, two means you are pretty damn good, Quick is pretty damn good

nobody is saying Quick is bad. people are just bringing up Quick because if such a great goalie as Quick can have rough stretches, so can Elliott.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
nobody is saying Quick is bad. people are just bringing up Quick because if such a great goalie as Quick can have rough stretches, so can Elliott.

I didn't use throw Quicks name out there others did, I get your point all goalies have rough stretches and get too much blame when a team gets beat and too much credit when they win but that goes with the territory in every city in the league

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dude, I understand he is the guy and have been a fan of this team for longer than I care too say so I hope "Moose" is the guy because you are correct it's his team right now. I just don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell of winning more than a round w him as the no 1 guy
I'm not trying to be an ass about it. Just saying we're in for the long haul with Elliott and there isn't a trade that will help us in that department. Allen as the starter this year is a much bigger mistake. I'm not too overly optimist about them going all the way bit after a few decades of this....you just go with the flow

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
I hope you see something that I can't, To me Crawford is a much better goalie than Elliot, again hope I am wrong we will see how he does in the second season

I really want to watch the games you've seen of Crawford, because he has never looked better than Elliott in any game I've seen.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I can't remember the exact number, but JK pointed out that we were 4-7 when trailing after 2. We won, so now we're 5-7 when trailing after 2, which is pretty damn impressive. Shows a lot of confidence and leadership.

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
It seems as though if you're a goalie in St. Louis you might as well brace yourself for a lot of irrational overreaction/criticism/hate. People weren't saying much negative about Elliott because hey he was playing great. Sure he's let in some soft ones that he should have had lately but to me it's not much cause for concern yet as he adjusts back to playing healthy and shakes off some rust.

It's like people won't stop doubting the abilities of Elliott until he lifts the Cup. How many other goalies have come through St. Louis but also never managed to do it? Yet they aren't held to the same standards as Elliott is I feel.

I always find it funny when people bring up the playoffs and say look at Elliott's failures. Let's break it down this way: your goalie gives up 1 goal per game the first 3 games of a series you expect to be up 3-0 in the series right? Well in 2013 Elliott did just that yet the Blues only found themselves up 1 game. In fact Elliott only gave up more than 2 goals twice in that series and one of the games the 3rd goal he gave up was in OT. And you can't blame Elliott for every single goal given up either. I specifically remember the year before the Blues giving up a shorthanded breakaway that Elliott stopped but the guy following up the play put in over a already sprawled out Ells (that's just terrible defense with a lack of hustle). Every single game was a 1 goal game meaning he kept the Blues in each one. He finished that series with an even 2.00 GAA and only 2 less goals than Quick. But yet to a lot of people that series loss was all Elliott's fault.

FloridaBlue

Mar 9, 2014
Wildwood, MO
I'm excited about this team. This is the deepest team the Blues have had in some time. All Elliott has to do is play well, stopping what he should stop and making the occasional big save (which he can and does). If the Blues play like we know they can in front of him (and get some puck luck to go their way) I see no reason why the Blues can't go all the way this year. But we shall see of course.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It seems as though if you're a goalie in St. Louis you might as well brace yourself for a lot of irrational overreaction/criticism/hate. People weren't saying much negative about Elliott because hey he was playing great. Sure he's let in some soft ones that he should have had lately but to me it's not much cause for concern yet as he adjusts back to playing healthy and shakes off some rust.

It's like people won't stop doubting the abilities of Elliott until he lifts the Cup. How many other goalies have come through St. Louis but also never managed to do it? Yet they aren't held to the same standards as Elliott is I feel.

I always find it funny when people bring up the playoffs and say look at Elliott's failures. Let's break it down this way: your goalie gives up 1 goal per game the first 3 games of a series you expect to be up 3-0 in the series right? Well in 2013 Elliott did just that yet the Blues only found themselves up 1 game. In fact Elliott only gave up more than 2 goals twice in that series and one of the games the 3rd goal he gave up was in OT. And you can't blame Elliott for every single goal given up either. I specifically remember the year before the Blues giving up a shorthanded breakaway that Elliott stopped but the guy following up the play put in over a already sprawled out Ells (that's just terrible defense with a lack of hustle). Every single game was a 1 goal game meaning he kept the Blues in each one. He finished that series with an even 2.00 GAA and only 2 less goals than Quick. But yet to a lot of people that series loss was all Elliott's fault.

I've noticed that it sure seems like those who blame Elliott a little bit are lumped in with the few (if any) who actually solely blame him for that series loss.

You can say all you want about the offense being terrible (it was) and how great Elliott's numbers are (they are) but it doesn't tell the whole story.

Regardless of how the team in front of him has played or how he's played so far in the game, he gave up goals that simply cannot happened. The overtime goal he gave up to Voynov and the series clinching goal against Penner are unacceptable. They just are. Does that make the whole series his fault? Of course not. He does get some of the blame though.

All of that said, the offense then and the offense now are totally different. We needed Brian Elliott to be something he couldn't be in 2012; hopefully we won't need him to be in 2015. At this point, Brian Elliott is our best bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad