GDT: The Note vs the Canes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
I didn't get to watch tonight but I saw Butler was a -4?? :(

Was he that brutal tonight? I was really happy with the way he's been playing lately.

Like I said, I did not watch the game so maybe I'm wrong.

Good to see Pietrangelo and J-Bo having another good game (on paper).

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Allen is skilled. Really shows in shootouts.

Credit to Carolina, they brought their A game.

What this guy said. Nailed it! In my opinion he has had trouble seeing through screens but is otherwise very solid. Glove hand is twice as quick as Elliot's and he plays big. Big pads, big body. To me he is a much better goalie talent wise than Els but Elliot has a lot more experience. I would like to see Jake become more active with his stick and channel his inner Hextall once in awhile. I am in the minority here i know but i like having Brodeur around and i know Allen does as well. Hmmm let me see Paarvii in the press box or Brodeur? I don't get the angst really b/c at least two guys don't dress every game. It is a practice time issue i know but i would like to see Martin hang around all year if possible. There could be minutes if played right by Hitchcock and Marty is a great insurance policy against injury to one of our other guys. No way i would just cut this guy. I hope Hitch rewards Allen with the next start and gets Ian Cole back in there. I think Butler needs a breather.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
Someday maybe you guys will figure out that chest-thumping is a healthy endeavor. To be confident and not cocky will only help.

Proven. Being a depressed nothing-at-all is a major mistake. Have some ****ing faith. I made a confident thread on the main board. Get over it, they deserve it. They will never win the Cup we all want with the majority of you crying about success or the repercussions of it. You either want it or you dont, grow a pair and get it. Or just complain about the idea of defeat once again.

By golly, you're right and I have to thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
My lack of faith has been what's been holding the Blues back for all this time. Certainly not inconsistent: scoring, goaltending, effort or defensive play. Certainly it's unrelated to available personnel due to either previous incorrect needs assessment or unfortunate health issues.
God knows it's not like the entire history of playoff futility is on the naysayers side.

Nope it's because I, and by extension most other Blues fans simply don't believe enough.

Well, that's changing from today forward. I'm going to be so relentlessly positive that people are going to demand a name change for me to Heidi. I'm going to be the biggest, most optimistic cheerleader ever.

Puppies and Rainbows! Kitties and Candy!

Last edited by a moderator:

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
I didn't get to watch tonight but I saw Butler was a -4?? :(

Was he that brutal tonight? I was really happy with the way he's been playing lately.

Like I said, I did not watch the game so maybe I'm wrong.

Good to see Pietrangelo and J-Bo having another good game (on paper).

Butler was pretty bad in particular that first period. Cole's probably your next game starter.

JBo looked as good as I've seen him. Pietrangelo didn't. He is either hurting or having a case of being lazy with his play.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
By golly, you're right and I have to thank you for pointing me in the right direction.
My lack of faith has been what's been holding the Blues back for all this time. Certainly not inconsistent: scoring, goaltending, effort or defensive play. Certainly it's unrelated to available personnel due to either previous incorrect needs assessment or unfortunate health issues.
God knows it's not like the entire history of playoff futility is on the naysayers side.

Nope it's because I, and by extension most other Blues fans simply don't believe enough.

Well, that's changing from today forward. I'm going to be so relentlessly positive that people are going to demand a name change for me to Heidi. I'm going to be the biggest, most optimistic cheerleader ever.

Puppies and Rainbows! Kitties and Candy!

Like I said, I blame you...For everything that's wrong with The Blues now apparently :nod:

Last edited by a moderator:

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Bo was a stud tonight. Best game of the year easily IMO by JBow. Butler has looked winded a little to me the last two games before tonight and it came to a head tonight. He was brutal,always surprised to see a -4 by any players name though. Yikes! This teams strength is depth if you ask me so how Hitch uses the unusual depth on this team is going to be key. I would have used Lindstrom, Cole and Allen tonight actually against a lesser opponent. I would not be a bad thing to keep these guys all in shape and ready to rumble. I would also start Allen and then Brodeur next and give Els a few days. He came back earlier than e thought and put in Yeomans work for 5 starts, maybe now a little breather is wise plus Allen and Marty need some work.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
Bo was a stud tonight. Best game of the year easily IMO by JBow. Butler has looked winded a little to me the last two games before tonight and it came to a head tonight. He was brutal,always surprised to see a -4 by any players name though. Yikes! This teams strength is depth if you ask me so how Hitch uses the unusual depth on this team is going to be key. I would have used Lindstrom, Cole and Allen tonight actually against a lesser opponent. I would not be a bad thing to keep these guys all in shape and ready to rumble. I would also start Allen and then Brodeur next and give Els a few days. He came back earlier than e thought and put in Yeomans work for 5 starts, maybe now a little breather is wise plus Allen and Marty need some work.

Which spot would he take? Nobody that I can think of should have deserved to be taken out.

Hitchcock says he thinks next time Lindstrom gets, he won't be coming out (I hope he's correct although I don't have a lot of faith).

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Which spot would he take? Nobody that I can think of should have deserved to be taken out.

Hitchcock says he thinks next time Lindstrom gets, he won't be coming out (I hope he's correct although I don't have a lot of faith).

What? Are you saying Hitch said, the next time Lindstrom enters the lineup he's gonna stay in the lineup for good? Who the hell's spot is he permanently taking? All 12 Blues starting forwards deserve and have earned their spot over Lindstrom, not to mention they are all better than him, by a country mile.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Was only suggesting depth is only depth if guys are in shape to play. Lindstrom needs to skate and my thought is Carolina might be a good opponent to get him some shifts to keep in game shape. No one has played poorly or is going to lose his job to Lindstrom right now. Still 40 games to go and with Porter out you should be able to find some minutes for a developmental forward against the weaker teams. Oddly Carolina has given the Blues some trouble beating us 7 0f the last 11 times before tonight. Now that i think of it St.Lou has trouble against Carolina, Ottowa, Washington and the Flyers (as always) in the Eastern division but do well against everyone else.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
The Blues have been looking for a consistant starting goaltender since Grant Fuhr left here and until Jake Allen grows into that role we still don't have one. I have never been an Elliot guy and he isn't the answer. I would package him in a deal if they could to upgrade in another area and go with Allen and let Brodeur mentor him as best he can and let the chips fall where they may

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
dont know why so many people are giving elliott a free pass. in 3 of his past 4 games, hes let in 1, if not 2 soft goals in each game.

when your team looks like crap like they do tonight, your goalie needs to stand on his head and bail them out. clearly this has not been the case. it looks like elliott is in his playoff mode right now.

Couldn't agree more!

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Maybe Bouwmeester is just now getting healthy. Took a while to recover from the injury.

The Cole-Butler battle will be interesting. One of them needs to step up and grab the job.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The Blues have been looking for a consistant starting goaltender since Grant Fuhr left here and until Jake Allen grows into that role we still don't have one. I have never been an Elliot guy and he isn't the answer. I would package him in a deal if they could to upgrade in another area and go with Allen and let Brodeur mentor him as best he can and let the chips fall where they may
Did you watch Allen over December....there is zero reason for Allen>Elliott. Allen is best in his backup role and I wouldn't trust marty as the actual backup. Those 2 lost us a few games.

No one ever has faith in Elliott. He's had a few stinkers get by him but he went from zero to 100 in terms of playing.

Going with Allen at this point is asking for failure.

Overkamp

Feb 22, 2007
What? Are you saying Hitch said, the next time Lindstrom enters the lineup he's gonna stay in the lineup for good? Who the hell's spot is he permanently taking? All 12 Blues starting forwards deserve and have earned their spot over Lindstrom, not to mention they are all better than him, by a country mile.

That was exactly my point. That's what I was saying. You're asking "what" to the wrong person. Hitchcock thinks he's practicing so well (whatever that really means) that he doubts he will come back out once he gets his chance again. That he has a second wind.

"It's going to be tough. When he goes in, I know one thing, if he goes in, the way he's going at it now, I don't think he's going to come out," Hitchcock said. "I think he's got a second wind now. I think this first go was tough for him now because it was a lot new. But we see things in practice that are pretty impressive. We've won a couple games. If someone happens to blink here, I think he's going to really take advantage of it. He seems to really have risen his level and I think we have a new appreciation having worked with him, how smart he is defensively. I think he's going to take advantage of the next situation because he's got his wind back again."

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
jaskin is going to sneeze taking a shot, and someone is going to steal the puck and get a goal. jaskin will be traded, amac will come out of retirement and it will be amac stastny lindstrom as a line

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Full shootout 5-4

HaHa! Those two kids at the end of the SO are great!

Allen was so economical and calm. This, along with his "brush-that-dirt-off-your-shoulders" attitude, is exactly what makes him the future goalie of the Blues.

STL fan in IA has touched upon a real sticky situation with Elliott perhaps feeling disrespected. He has been almost nothing but awesome for the Blues and has been kicked aside a few times now. However, maybe Army is keeping Brodeur around to make sure Allen is okay. ?Maybe? :dunno:

If this is the case and if Allen is excellent in his next game, then Army should let go of Brodeur.

When Brodeur is sent away who takes his spot on the 23-man roster? Paajarvi? Lindbohm? Someone will be called up.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Did you watch Allen over December....there is zero reason for Allen>Elliott. Allen is best in his backup role and I wouldn't trust marty as the actual backup. Those 2 lost us a few games.

No one ever has faith in Elliott. He's had a few stinkers get by him but he went from zero to 100 in terms of playing.

Going with Allen at this point is asking for failure.

exactly. I like Jake Allen and he should be our goaltender of the future. But those who call for Elliott to be replaced every time he lets in a goal must have a really short memory

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
exactly. I like Jake Allen and he should be our goaltender of the future. But those who call for Elliott to be replaced every time he lets in a goal must have a really short memory

Yep, I hope nobody thinks that I don't believe Allen is the man for us, in the future, because he is.

I'm just glad this team shows that they can rally back. They absolutely dominated Carolina after the 1st. There for a time, they didn't even get a shot on goal. I'm sure some aren't happy with the close game but Carolina was 100% hungry and took it the boys. It's always nice to have that reality check game. Edmonton was playing good hockey against the Hawks, hopefully the boys hit them hard right off the bat. Nows not the time to take teams lightly. If the Blues want central...every game matters.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Maybe Bouwmeester is just now getting healthy. Took a while to recover from the injury.

The Cole-Butler battle will be interesting. One of them needs to step up and grab the job.

They are similar players. Big, can skate, not totally lost with the puck on their stick, and they are both very prone to boneheaded mistakes. I think Butler has played better than Cole, but he had a rough game last night.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
There is nothing wrong with my memory, Brian Elliot isn't as good as some of you seem to think he is, he is an average starter on his best day. This team will not win a championship with him between the pipes. He is the same Brian Elliot he has always been, the same one that was between the pipes when the team blew a 2-0 lead in the playoffs a couple of seasons back.

This team has been searching for a consistant starting goalie since Grant Fuhr left here and they are still searching and will continue to search for one until Allen develops into the guy if he even does. At this point I would package Elliot plus whatever to get a piece to help us strengthen another area of the team, go with Allen and Brodeur and let the chips fall where they may.

Do I think that is what they will do? No they will release or trade Marty for whatever they can get back once they are sure Elliot is healthy and will have a strong season again and go no further than round 2 of the playoffs if Elliot is between the pipes.

To me he is nothing more than a strong backup goalie at best and this will be a huge part of the downfall in the playoffs again.

It's not that they haven't tried to find a starting goalie in the period since Fuhr left here they have tried everything ran guys through here at a rapid rate, even made the conference finals with Roman Turek doing the bulk of the work. Which looking back was amazing. But until they solve this revolving goaltender problem they will not win a championship. Hope like heck I am wrong, I would love Elliot to be the guy. Just don't see it with him

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
HaHa! Those two kids at the end of the SO are great!

Allen was so economical and calm. This, along with his "brush-that-dirt-off-your-shoulders" attitude, is exactly what makes him the future goalie of the Blues.

STL fan in IA has touched upon a real sticky situation with Elliott perhaps feeling disrespected. He has been almost nothing but awesome for the Blues and has been kicked aside a few times now. However, maybe Army is keeping Brodeur around to make sure Allen is okay. ?Maybe? :dunno:

If this is the case and if Allen is excellent in his next game, then Army should let go of Brodeur.

When Brodeur is sent away who takes his spot on the 23-man roster? Paajarvi? Lindbohm? Someone will be called up.
Porter

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I think it's more likely that he next time he comes out he doesn't get another chance.

But for the sake of argument, I'd put Stastny on the STL line and have Berglund center Jaskin and Lindstrom for a game or two. Lehtera needs a break. I'm unconvinced Lindstrom is going to outplay Jaskin (or Berglund the winger). But if the effort in practice is truly showing something, he deserves a chance to play.

I've heard Hitchcock make statements like this about Paajarvi before. I think he's just trying to be positive and give the player a message that he thinks will get the most out of him, but I don't take it as a forecast. Hitchcock has been strangely quiet about the solid play from Jaskin, but he has taken a real step forward. He seems to be trying to emulate Backes, and that's EXACTLY what he should do for his role and future value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad