The NJ Devils Goaltender Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Cory does seem like a good guy and teammate, it has to feel really frustrating falling off a cliff the way he did post-surgery

Not to mention dealing with the difficulties of playing the year leading up to it, and suspecting the physical degradation he felt could mean a procedure was imminent

Reactions: My3Sons

Cage Helmet

Thank you Marty!
May 27, 2012
I feel bad for Cory, he's a great guy, couldn't be nicer to the fans and seems like a great teammate. Even when he could he never threw his teammates under the bus in post game interviews.

It's a shame he had this injury, the surgery recovery is clearly affecting him physically and we can only guess how much mentally now.

I hope he can somehow, someway turn it around but it's really not looking good.
See if we can keep him around in a non-playing capacity. Maybe he can help out with the G prospects or something. Good guy. Just can’t do it on the ice anymore. Marty should probably have a talk with him about the end. But Marty was a guy who wasn’t prepared for the end.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've just accepted that Cory is probably done and won't be having a Rinne like recovery. If he hasn't been good for 90+ games (except the first few months of last season anyway), why would I be surprised he's not putting up good numbers on an AHL team that is even worse defensively than the NHL team he hasn't been good on?

At this point it just feels like some people are going out of their way kick Cory when he's already down. It's not like he's purposely throwing games, or not trying to get better. It's really more sad than anything to see a career go down the drain like this.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I never thought 2-3 years before the last year Marty played here that I'd wanna run him out, but I really did in the end.

So I don't feel bad about wanting to run Cory out of town either.

Because he's a human and I sympathize with him as a person, I'm not for burying him in the minors after this year. I'd rather buy him out, give him a chance to continue his career elsewhere. I do think as of now, someone will likely sign him to a one year deal for a million to backup somewhere. Unless he can't pass a physical and obviously he can (as of now) if he keeps getting thrown back out there.

I'd not only accept him, but would like him to continue with us in a hockey ops role if he can't play any longer, but that can only happen if he goes on LTIR like Clowe did. Although there really isn't anything that could stop us from letting him work for us after buying him out, if he does go unsigned or after his playing career is over for good. We did sign Hedberg to work for the team while we were still paying on his buyout.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At this point it just feels like some people are going out of their way kick Cory when he's already down. It's not like he's purposely throwing games, or not trying to get better. It's really more sad than anything to see a career go down the drain like this.
Oh I definitely don't believe he's throwing games on purpose. It's never been a question of his effort to me. I just think he isn't capable anymore. Just like Marty at the end. He just got old, Cory just got old too, even though he's really not old. He just broke down prematurely.

I really don't think anything good can come from him being on the team past this year though, aside from not having $2 million in dead cap space. I also don't agree with sending him to Binghamton for the remainder of his contract because that's the human element right there where I really do feel for him. It would be easier on him, his family (I'm guessing) and less humiliating to him if he were bought out and given a chance to keep his career going elsewhere. I think the team also owes it to him for his 3 years (and 3.5 pretty awesome playoff games, the only time he got to see them here) of elite play here to continue his career elsewhere and not Wade Redden him.

I also don't question Keith's effort either, I just think he's not good enough to do what he did last year for multiple years or to repeat it in this kind of a role. If you put Scott Clemmensen on the 09-10 team and Marty got injured again that year, I don't think Clemmensen would have had a repeat of the year before and played well again. I think we would have all seen something similar happen with him.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
One other thing that's now crossed my mind.

Even though they said ''Abdominal strain'' I do wonder if this whole IR stint wasn't exactly a made up ailment, but kind of a low key way of shutting him down to heal more from the hip injury/surgery, with how poor the results were while he was on the ice this season. The abdominal strain may have been a cover for publicly having to announce the hip was still giving him problems.

Just a thought I had.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it depends on how the rest of the season plays out. If he's bad the whole way I think they do need to consider a buyout this summer. If he's at least not shitting himself on a nightly basis, they probably give him the offseason + next season to try to recover, and if he doesn't buy him out in the summer of 2020. Or the whole situation might resolve itself with him ending up on LTIR if he keeps getting injured.

Either way, there's no way we can go into next season with the same goaltending. As much as I like and respect Kinkaid, I have zero faith in him as a starter or even splitting duty with Cory, Blackwood, or somebody else. Although I have no idea what the goalie market will be. Pretty much any options via free agency are going to have question marks. Are there any young(ish) goalies out there stuck behind an established starter? Or any Euro goalies worth giving a look to?

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think it depends on how the rest of the season plays out. If he's bad the whole way I think they do need to consider a buyout this summer. If he's at least not ****ting himself on a nightly basis, they probably give him the offseason + next season to try to recover, and if he doesn't buy him out in the summer of 2020. Or the whole situation might resolve itself with him ending up on LTIR if he keeps getting injured.

Either way, there's no way we can go into next season with the same goaltending. As much as I like and respect Kinkaid, I have zero faith in him as a starter or even splitting duty with Cory, Blackwood, or somebody else. Although I have no idea what the goalie market will be. Pretty much any options via free agency are going to have question marks. Are there any young(ish) goalies out there stuck behind an established starter? Or any Euro goalies worth giving a look to?
I'm not sure about the Euro market for goalies. Jack Campbell looks like a good target, unless he was extended and I didn't hear about it. He's a UFA as far as I know. He never ended up being that big time goalie for Dallas that they thought he would be. He was the most recent highest drafted goalie, if I'm not mistaken. Taken 11th overall in 2010.

He didn't make the NHL until last year and not full time until this year, but he's been good in the NHL. I know goalies sometimes play better there in LA than they really are, but that's not the case for Jonathan Quick this year.

LA has a young prospect goalie that they got who was drafted by Buffalo. Calvin Petersen, who has played some games this year and looked pretty good. He looks NHL ready, so I'm wondering if he's gonna be brought up after next year with Campbell walking in UFA. Quick is still signed for several more years and is always getting injured. Campbell might not be a starter option, but he's played well as a backup. Think he has 1b potential and definitely has a higher ceiling than Kinkaid. Think he's 27 or will be 27 (born in 92).

I feel like in the event that Cory is here next year (I don't think he will be as a player) that the leash will be shorter than ever and 2-3 games like he's looked this year and that's it for him. He'll be waived. He might even be waived if he looks bad in preseason, even if it's behind AHL and PTO filled lineups.

And if that happens, an unproven question mark guy will be replacing him. That's why I'd rather cut bait after this year and not go into next year in that situation.

And I do think he may be very close to ending up on the IR permanently. I'm not sure where the ''Rumors were circulating this past offseason that this hip injury would be the end of his career'' bit came from that Friedman tweeted out a month or two ago, but maybe he's just in very bad shape. With the way he's played this year just by watching him, it's clear he just might be unable to play any longer.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
I thought I remembered reading that Schneider’s injury is a 2 year healing process. I think Luongo said that.

I mean, 2 years is a long time to wait for a guy who was bad before the injury. Now he’s just unplayable.

Seems like a great guy, good teammate and what not but holy shit we cannot have him on an NHL roster.

Reactions: Bleedred

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I thought I remembered reading that Schneider’s injury is a 2 year healing process. I think Luongo said that.

I mean, 2 years is a long time to wait for a guy who was bad before the injury. Now he’s just unplayable.

Seems like a great guy, good teammate and what not but holy **** we cannot have him on an NHL roster.

technically he had the best save percentage of all time before the injury if you believe he was dealing with it for a couple years.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The reason I think Cory doesn't get bought out has nothing to do with his play (Which, let's be clear, isn't great), it's that the buyout costs us $12M and spreads $2M cap penalty for each of the next six seasons. That's a lot to swallow.

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
I would like to see him play next year, but I'm leaning towards him just physically not being the same and you can see him moving differently than the first 3 months of last year. Maybe with a full offseason of getting ready its different and i would think we give him that shot. If he's this bad next year you have to waive him and move on, make a trade for campbell or another goalie.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The reason I think Cory doesn't get bought out has nothing to do with his play (Which, let's be clear, isn't great), it's that the buyout costs us $12M and spreads $2M cap penalty for each of the next six seasons. That's a lot to swallow.

Keeping him costs $18M. And yes, a $2M cap hit is a lot to swallow for 6 seasons, but they can't let him play here past this season, and burying him doesn't make any sense either. I don't think LTIR is a solution here either unless the Devils are way below the cap again next season which they shouldn't be, and also Schneider has to agree to being too injured to play.

Reactions: Bleedred

Scooooooooooooot

Jul 31, 2018
Keeping him costs $18M. And yes, a $2M cap hit is a lot to swallow for 6 seasons, but they can't let him play here past this season, and burying him doesn't make any sense either. I don't think LTIR is a solution here either unless the Devils are way below the cap again next season which they shouldn't be, and also Schneider has to agree to being too injured to play.

Actually they can

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey

I feel like in the event that Cory is here next year (I don't think he will be as a player) that the leash will be shorter than ever and 2-3 games like he's looked this year and that's it for him. He'll be waived. He might even be waived if he looks bad in preseason, even if it's behind AHL and PTO filled lineups.
And if that happens, an unproven question mark guy will be replacing him. That's why I'd rather cut bait after this year and not go into next year in that situation.

Work a deal with Pitt for Tristan Jarry. It looks like Ray drafted him while in Pitt. With Pens signing Casey DeSmith and Murray as the starter it answers MadDevils questions of youngish G's

Here's what SportsForecaster had to say:
Played 26 games last year. 14-6-2 .908% 2.77GAA (9-5-2 in WBS)
Tristan Jarry • #35 • G Status:In the minors Ht/Wt:6'2", 194 lbs. Born:Apr 29, 1995 (23 yrs) in Surrey, B.C. Experience:2 years Drafted by Pittsburgh in 2013 (2/44). Catches:L

Has already proven capable of backstopping a very strong squad at the junior level. His self-confidence brings out the best in his teammates, too. Hates to lose and shows it in his demeanor. Must add more stamina and bulk to his 6-2 frame in order to prove he can play the minutes worthy of a No. 1 goalkeeper in the NHL. Needs to show he can bounce back from adversity.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn

LTIR gets paid by insurance, not by our owners. That's the difference.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
LTIR gets paid by insurance, not by our owners. That's the difference.

What you're suggesting is tantamount to insurance fraud. If Schneider's not actually injured, why should insurance pay his salary?

Again, even if we assume that there are fake LTIR injuries out there, the player has to agree that he is too injured to play hockey. I doubt Schneider is ready to end his career like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad