News: The NHL has now confirmed that Montreal Canadiens signee Logan Mailloux is also NOT currently eligible to play in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There was no victim veto. It just turns out that based on the victim's (family's) comments, it showed that Miller had done the bare minimum to try to put the situation behind him rather than showing true contrition and trying to make amends for the harm he caused.

The victim was eventually listened to, and based on that information the NHL declared him ineligible to play.
Huh? You are again reiterating victim veto

Did Miller do community service? Yes... but was it because he had to... or did he grow from it/rehabilitate

The victim wouldnt really know. Its not like they keep tabs on the progress

The problem was... Miller ingenuine list of events and crappy apologies.

But I ask you, like I asked the other poster

If Miller victim didnt voice their experience/or they moved on. You think Miller would still be in the league?

In turn, if Mailloux victim speaks out/explains her trauma. The Habs/NHL would stil ok his eligibility?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Mailloux didn't bully anybody, he secretly took photos of consensual sexual encounter and shared the compromising photos of consensual sexual encounter without consent. He was charged under Swedish law with defamation and offensive photography and fined. Its a particularly gross example of the worst part of hockey/jock culture.

It is not comparable to what Miller did, not nearly as malicious as what Miller did, and he did it once, not numerous times.
Sharing intimate pictures of someone without their consent can be traumatizing, and has led in certain cases to people taking their own life. I would absolutely file it as a form of bullying.

Not that I don't agree with you that Miller did worse. But It was a gross and insensitive decision that the Montreal Canadiens took when they drafted that scumbag, and it instantly tarnished the franchise.

It's also pretty obvious that the pretty mild reaction to Mailloux's selection by the fanbase, reporters and the NHL in general paved the way for the signing of Miller.

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
The NHL don't want problem.
Just look Canadian junior scandal.
Some players may play in NHL but if their name goes public NHL will suspend them

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Dude, this is a lot different that miller.
- miller was several repeated instances over year. Mailloux was one time
- Mailloux has profusely apologized and has done lots to learn and bring awareness. Miller has not.
- and lastly, and i am fully aware that this may make peoples heads explode and I will get cancelled to the sun, but what Mailloux did was no where near as bad as what miller did. Not saying it was ok, but it’s 2 very different things

Reactions: viceroy and Lshap

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Why draft him with a 1st then?

Its like... there is probably a shark in that lake. Dont swim

But goes swimming anyways
I imagine because they knew he would be a few years away and would have the time to make sure he does everything right while staying in touch with the league about it

Reactions: viceroy

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
So, doesnt the NHL have to certify these contracts? Why dont they not certify them if they think they're problematic.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
So this was discussed and understood ahead of time between the involved parties, though news is coming out now. However, because of the timing between this and the news about Miller, people think it's just wokeness doling out punishment willy nilly. Checks out.

I hope Mailloux learned from his terrible act. Him asking teams not to draft him was a good step. Though it rings as insincere when he signs a contract with the Canadiens anyway.
yes and no. What he did was inexcusable. The previous regime ignored that and drafted him any way. hughes and gorton were clear he was on probation and needed to complete a lot of therapy - which he did. He also spent the summer in Montreal working with staff and teammates working on his development and maturity. He also met with Sheldon Kennedy who works with the Respect Group. Kennedy mentioned the kid was on the right path and commended him.

I'd like to see him do more than just apologize to the victim. He has more to do imo

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think everybody on earth has done something worse then what mallioux did at some point. I see no reason why he should be suspended. I just feel like what happens off the ice shouldn’t matter from a league rules stand point.
I disagree

What he did was not a hiccup

It was malicious and violation of another person privacy

In Asia... there was similar scandal involving singers etc Burning sun scandal.... distribution of intimate picture, dehumanizing of females. The perpetrators went to jail.

Now they did what Mailloux did .... many more times. But the point is....its not considered a light crime

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I'm concerned about Bettman trying to become Roger Goodell and arbitrarily throw his weight around in suspending people at his whim.

Which is in no way an endorsement or defense of the behavior of Mailloux or Miller, both those guys are a-holes, but I don't like the precedent being set here.
I agree 100%. At some point, the union is going to have to step up and get involved. Shouldn't this be a procedure articulated in the CBA?

If this were the NFL, the Mailloux incident wouldn't even be on the radar. (Not that I'm defending his actions at all).

As for Miller, I doubt anyones losing sleep over the guy, but as a union, you still need to support your guys to some degree just to make sure a precedent isn't set. If he's on the outside looking in after the CBA is applied then it is what it is. Let's be honest, if Miller had McDavid's skill, they'd have found a way to get him cleared.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
What in the living f***.
What are you suggesting, that he braggued about it in order to do her harm ?
To bully her ?

He did not. His only intent was to show his friends he slept, consensually, with a beautiful woman older than him.
He did not publish her picture, he did not shame her of anything. He showed it to a few friends to brag.
Did you read the story ?

On top of that, there were no way to identify her in said pictures...

He meant no harm to her, and never intimidated her.

I really don't understand people saying this is comparable to bully and being racist to someone, in a meant mean way, for years... And even after the ruling.

Mailloux did apologize as soon as it was known. Not 6 years later before trying to sign an NHL contract...

Kinnikuniverse

Sep 11, 2021
yes and no. What he did was inexcusable. The previous regime ignored that and drafted him any way. hughes and gorton were clear he was on probation and needed to complete a lot of therapy - which he did. He also spent the summer in Montreal working with staff and teammates working on his development and maturity. He also met with Sheldon Kennedy who works with the Respect Group. Kennedy mentioned the kid was on the right path and commended him.

I'd like to see him do more than just apologize to the victim. He has more to do imo
Indeed, more needs to be done for mailloux to truly be forgiven. I don't know what it is, exactly, being donating to women's/survivors charity or giving conferences with experts on consent or whatever, but yeah, more needs to be done, and i do hope he is forgiven one day. Maybe i'm too optimist, but i do believe that people can become better people.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This has been known for a while now, but more in the media lately.

Good, glad to hear it. What the guy did was dumb, disrespectful and cruel to the girl. That being said I'm not saying he can't recover from this, he's certainly done some work since it happened to show regret, unlike the Bruins prospect who I don't think has any regrets. Glad to see the NHL take a stand in these situations. NHL will determine when, if ever, these guys are allowed into the NHL. Too bad teams even draft them before they make enough amends to start with. When you screw up in life there should be ramifications, glad to see it. Hopefully he will truly learn from this.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So they let him sign an ELC (which is an NHL contract, so the NHL was aware of it), and then come out 3 months later to say it is not valid?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I agree 100%. At some point, the union is going to have to step up and get involved. Shouldn't this be a procedure articulated in the CBA?

If this were the NFL, the Mailloux incident wouldn't even be on the radar. (Not that I'm defending his actions at all).

As for Miller, I doubt anyones losing sleep over the guy, but as a union, you still need to support your guys to some degree just to make sure a precedent isn't set. If he's on the outside looking in after the CBA is applied then it is what it is. Let's be honest, if Miller had McDavid's skill, they'd have found a way to get him cleared.
Would be ironic?

If Simmonds was a nhlpa union rep

Simmonds is rep by Eustace King/manegement

He is also one of the board of directors for Hockey Diversity Alliance

Yet... he would have to fight for Miller (if he was a union rep)....imagine the internal conflict he would have to deal with

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Indeed, more needs to be done for mailloux to truly be forgiven. I don't know what it is, exactly, being donating to women's/survivors charity or giving conferences with experts on consent or whatever, but yeah, more needs to be done, and i do hope he is forgiven one day. Maybe i'm too optimist, but i do believe that people can become better people.
me too. I think part of his rehab is in fact doing community outreach

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
They should speak to the victim... to cover their butt

Something the Bruins failed to do

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
I'm concerned about Bettman trying to become Roger Goodell and arbitrarily throw his weight around in suspending people at his whim.

Which is in no way an endorsement or defense of the behavior of Mailloux or Miller, both those guys are a-holes, but I don't like the precedent being set here.
will lead to anti-trust suits.... B's have really f***ed up the old boy's club good on this Miller thing...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
What are you suggesting, that he braggued about it in order to do her harm ?
To bully her ?

He did not. His only intent was to show his friends he slept, consensually, with a beautiful woman older than him.
He did not publish her picture, he did not shame her of anything. He showed it to a few friends to brag.
Did you read the story ?

On top of that, there were no way to identify her in said pictures...

He meant no harm to her, and never intimidated her.

I really don't understand people saying this is comparable to bully and being racist to someone, in a meant mean way, for years... And even after the ruling.

Mailloux did apologize as soon as it was known. Not 6 years later before trying to sign an NHL contract...
Perhaps you are too young to understand, just like Logan was... But that is absolutely f***ing bullying and it absolutely caused harm to her.

I mean what the f***. I get Montreal is your favorite team but are you really trying to defend this garbage.

Just because it was different from what Miller did doesn't make it not still bullying and abuse. The thing Mailloux has going for him is that he has shown genuine remorse since the event, seems to now recognize why what he did was so wrong, and has taken actual steps to learn from his mistake and attempt to become a better person. Its for those reasons and assuming he continues to learn and make amends, that he should end up being allowed to play again. But his actions were absolutely bullying and caused significant harm to an individual, whether you comprehend that or not doesn't matter in the least.

teal

Aug 8, 2006
I think everybody on earth has done something worse then what mallioux did at some point. I see no reason why he should be suspended. I just feel like what happens off the ice shouldn’t matter from a league rules stand point.
So what you're saying is you've sexually harassed and bullied people? Thanks for letting us all know.

• Wow
Reactions: rocketdan9

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Is the NHL actually doing something right for once?

Someone check to see if this isn't Bettman's doppelganger from the doing something right for once, dimension.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
From everything I've read, Mailloux is at least showing a level of regret and contriteness for his actions and working with the league. Supposedly, Miller had not been. Additionally, Mailloux's act while reprehensible was a single instance. Miller's were an everyday thing over many years. Different levels of inhuman behavior.
“Reprehensible” lol.

Mailloux and Miller are in no way comparable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad