News: The NHL has now confirmed that Montreal Canadiens signee Logan Mailloux is also NOT currently eligible to play in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyrus

5 ft 7 in.
May 20, 2013
How is it different(vs Miller case)....in that the victim hasnt forgiven him?

A victim's willingness to forgive those who wronged them is more or less a non-factor and will hopefully remains so if we desire for justice to be, well, just.

Same should go for however a victim might feel about events in the life of the person that wronged them. If justice is our aim as a society, they should have no actual decisional input, be it in the sentence or whatever other unrelated future events.

You'd be hard-pressed to find someone less biased than a victim, and while this is obviously no fault of their own they still have no place as jury in a just system.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Besides, exactly no one has tested the NHL's resolve regarding Miller. The Bruins saw their leadership group and their fans get real angry the signing, and cut bait. It may have been a factor of the lies from Miller/his agent (thru Miller), but you get the feeling that he was gone regardless.

Meanwhile, the biggest negative reaction to Mailloux's drafting was a few businesses sending angry emails (and maybe one cutting sponsorship?), with no negative reaction to speak of from the players as far as I know. He was since seen with some of the Habs brass + Vincent Lecavalier in public; He was also seen chilling at Lasso with Suzuki, Edmundson and Anderson (and Old Dominion) in what was probably something of a PR campaign. His signing wasn't quite met with indifference, but close.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I remember him asking teams NOT to draft him, but the Habs did anyway

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
So... he was considered ineligible all along... has to complete whatever he has to.... then he might be reinstated later?

NHL just trying to cover their butt/make it known...due to Miller fallout?

Its called...NHL make rules as you go
this is probably exactly right.

The difference is that Mailloux has done the work to educate himself and change and continues to do so. The Habs have also started programs to educate their players about these issues as well.

Miller seems to have done ZERO to take responsibility or change in any way what-so-ever

Reactions: viceroy

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I remember him asking teams NOT to draft him, but the Habs did anyway

Mailloux to Habs = "Told you not to draft me! This is crazy. Ok where is the pen. I will sign the contract"

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
I'd like to think better of Bettman, but it's possible he's using these unlikable-bully situations as cover for a power move against the PA. We've never seen the Commissioner declare players "ineligible" like this before, and suddenly it's 2 of them in a week. This could very well be an opening chess move ahead of CBA negotiations in 2026, especially if Bettman is preparing to retire and no longer has to worry about burning his political capital with the PA.
I don't know that you have to be THAT cynical about it.

While I don't think punishing the worst examples of a pernicious issue will resolve the issue. It's a step to at least make some form of gesture that you are officially against something and mean it. The issue is that for any individual team the calculation is different... This player may be bad for the image of the NHL overall, but our fans care more about winning than that...

Thus this needs to be dealt with at the NHL wide level.

The NHL is a confederation of entertainment companies. If someone embarrases the league they should barr them from playing.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm concerned about Bettman trying to become Roger Goodell and arbitrarily throw his weight around in suspending people at his whim.

Which is in no way an endorsement or defense of the behavior of Mailloux or Miller, both those guys are a-holes, but I don't like the precedent being set here.

I don't know if it's so much throwing his weight around as it is just not having some sort of protocol/standards/etc. for these Miller/Mailloux blacklisting situations.

If the Canadiens knew that Mailloux can't play at the NHL level without the league's blessing, would they have used a 1st rounder on him?

In the Miller case, would the Coyotes (being a team that has trouble attracting players (as well as fans, buildings, good owners and GM's, etc.)) have freely given up his rights as a draft pick if they knew in just two years time he'd be able to sign an NHL contract wherever he was wanted?

But not just for players, you've also got all the staff that were involved in the Blackhawks scandal that were pretty much forced to resign. If I recall, the only thing that was really put in place there was something around Quenneville needing to have a meeting with Bettman if/when he decides he wants to get back in the league in some capacity.

They should have something set up where players/staff get some "status" as suspended for a certain period of time, or indefinitely with some sort of periodic review where they look at each case and announce (to the teams at the very least) whose status has or hasn't changed. Obviously the Miller and Mailloux dirty laundry was known to the league prior to their drafts. Perhaps the league should/'ve had some kind of tag they could put on them that says something like "Draft at your own risk, but understand that these individuals can't be signed to an ELC/play an NHL game/etc etc. without some process/review by the league." which might dissuade teams from picking them altogether?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
this is probably exactly right.

The difference is that Mailloux has done the work to educate himself and change and continues to do so. The Habs have also started programs to educate their players about these issues as well.

Miller seems to have done ZERO to take responsibility or change in any way what-so-ever
Miller Tri City Storm coach stated Miller was involved with community work....

Reality is.... "Miller was done with the past, but the past was not done with him"

He failed to make it whole/right with the victim/family.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I'm sure @mouser will come here and dunk on me with his knowledge but I don't see how a player can be "ineligible" under the CBA. Like if the league wants to suspend him X games for his actions, fair enough, but this feels like it'll be appealed.
Of course it will be. They can suspend I believe but they cannot ban a guy. That is a very dangerous area.

Miller Tri City Storm coach stated Miller was involved with community work....

Reality is.... "Miller was done with the past, but the past was not done with him"

He failed to make it whole/right with the victim/family.
forgive me but Miller does not get to decide on his own when he is done with his own actions and the impact those actions have had on his victim(s)

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
PA needs to fight for their rights based on what the cba says.

Expect this to become part of the next cba negotiations. How these types of situations where either an incoming or existing PA member has gotten into trouble. What is the process in which they need to follow to get permission to play and who gets to decide that?
Lol nobody is going to fight for these two assholes. Don’t be a slimy, disgusting scumbag and you will have the privilege to play in the NHL, if you make it. That’s the message that is being sent here, and it’s a good one.

Reactions: rocketdan9

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
could be wrong, but i feel like the NHL is simply reiterating what the Habs and Mailloux already know. kid still has some work to do to prove that he's matured

Reactions: Canadienna and MXD

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Lol nobody is going to fight for these two assholes. Don’t be a slimy, disgusting scumbag and you will have the privilege to play in the NHL, if you make it. That’s the message that is being sent here, and it’s a good one.
Of course they will. The PA has to fight for them. Its not really about these 2 guys, its about the PA and the rules.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Mailloux's act was nothing about bullying. He meant no harm to the victim. He wanted to brag to his friends.
The Habs said about this very news that they were aware of such a requirement by Bettman, and that Mailloux himself was also aware. Nothing new here but us learning about it, and being discussed because of the Miller fiasco.

EDIT: Like Capt Mountain said, the sexual encounter was consensual...
Nothing comparable to Miller bullying and being racist to the victim FOR YEARS.
What in the living f***.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Anyone know why the guys involved in the World Junior assault are still cool to play in the league while the investigation is on going?
Or is it cuz they're not sure exactly who was involved?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
So this was discussed and understood ahead of time between the involved parties, though news is coming out now. However, because of the timing between this and the news about Miller, people think it's just wokeness doling out punishment willy nilly. Checks out.

I hope Mailloux learned from his terrible act. Him asking teams not to draft him was a good step. Though it rings as insincere when he signs a contract with the Canadiens anyway.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
So this was discussed and understood ahead of time between the involved parties, though news is coming out now. However, because of the timing between this and the news about Miller, people think it's just wokeness doling out punishment willy nilly. Checks out.

I hope Mailloux learned from his terrible act. Him asking teams not to draft him was a good step. Though it rings as insincere when he signs a contract with the Canadiens anyway.
1.5 years later he signed the contract. It's not like it was the following week... I guess the acceptable time frame is very subjective, but I think it was reasonable and doesn't ring any insincerity. The guy asked not to be drafted, but he didn't put a cross on his hockey career...

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I wonder who in the league making millions also doesn’t fit the good person standard.

Reactions: Gamimenos

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
In Miller case... there was a victim veto. And rightfully so. They shouldnt have to suffer

It would be no different... if Mailloux victim also did the same/public speech. And caused bad press for the NHL.
There was no victim veto. It just turns out that based on the victim's (family's) comments, it showed that Miller had done the bare minimum to try to put the situation behind him rather than showing true contrition and trying to make amends for the harm he caused.

The victim was eventually listened to, and based on that information the NHL declared him ineligible to play.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think by the time Logan's ready he will ahve gone through all the hoops and get reinstated. he seems to be in a better position than Miller who some how keeps making things worse.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Anyone know why the guys involved in the World Junior assault are still cool to play in the league while the investigation is on going?
Or is it cuz they're not sure exactly who was involved?
Bingo. Also because, I guess, there isn't as big a stigma on them, because... well, only people who are really into hockey know specifically who we're talking about.

BUUUTTTTT... there's one of these players who isn't under contract right now.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Its a non-issue. There's no reason for the nhl to deny Mailloux from playing in the nhl once we get there.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
1.5 years later he signed the contract. It's not like it was the following week... I guess the acceptable time frame is very subjective, but I think it was reasonable and doesn't ring any insincerity. The guy asked not to be drafted, but he didn't put a cross on his hockey career...
Eh, that's fair. Again, he at least has shown more awareness and remorse for what he did. I guess I just don't enjoy a team drafting a player against valid wishes and possibly benefitting from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad