News: The NHL has now confirmed that Montreal Canadiens signee Logan Mailloux is also NOT currently eligible to play in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
this-is-getting-out-of-hand-now-there-are-two.gif

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Is it? I'm fairly certain this has been known for a while now, Habs management even talked about it over the summer. I think based on his progress that he will be cleared to play if he makes it to the NHL.
So... he was considered ineligible all along... has to complete whatever he has to.... then he might be reinstated later?

NHL just trying to cover their butt/make it known...due to Miller fallout?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm concerned about Bettman trying to become Roger Goodell and arbitrarily throw his weight around in suspending people at his whim.

Which is in no way an endorsement or defense of the behavior of Mailloux or Miller, both those guys are a-holes, but I don't like the precedent being set here.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
Is this real?

Definitely a result of the Miller fiasco. Seems a bit unfair to the Habs if it's being retroactively applied.

Real, yes. But it's very different from the Miller fiasco. Supposedly, Mailloux has been working diligently with the Habs and the league to jump through all the hoops necessary to become eligible from everything I've read so far.

Reactions: Chose

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Real, yes. But it's very different from the Miller fiasco. Supposedly, Mailloux has been working diligently with the Habs and the league to jump through all the hoops necessary to become eligible from everything I've read so far.
How is it different(vs Miller case)....in that the victim hasnt forgiven him?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm concerned about Bettman trying to become Roger Goodell and arbitrarily throw his weight around in suspending people at his whim.

Which is in no way an endorsement or defense of the behavior of Mailloux or Miller, both those guys are a-holes, but I don't like the precedent being set here.
PA needs to fight for their rights based on what the cba says.

Expect this to become part of the next cba negotiations. How these types of situations where either an incoming or existing PA member has gotten into trouble. What is the process in which they need to follow to get permission to play and who gets to decide that?

OddManRush

Mar 22, 2022
This makes no sense. Surely the NHL should’ve let the Habs/Mailloux know shortly after he was drafted what sort of program/reparations etc were needed before he could sign a contract and be eligible…

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
So... he was considered ineligible all along... has to complete whatever he has to.... then he might be reinstated later?

NHL just trying to cover their butt/make it known...due to Miller fallout?

No? The NHL has claimed a lot of latitude with situations like these. The NHL isn't trying to cover anything, someone just asked the question because of how terrible a job the Bruins did investigating the Miller situation.

The Miller and Mailloux situations are very different.

Desert Panther

Resident Lurker
Jun 23, 2002
Frisco, TX
Visit site
How is it different(vs Miller case)....in that the victim hasnt forgiven him?

From everything I've read, Mailloux is at least showing a level of regret and contriteness for his actions and working with the league. Supposedly, Miller had not been. Additionally, Mailloux's act while reprehensible was a single instance. Miller's were an everyday thing over many years. Different levels of inhuman behavior.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
No? The NHL has claimed a lot of latitude with situations like these. The NHL isn't trying to cover anything, someone just asked the question because of how terrible a job the Bruins did investigating the Miller situation.

The Miller and Mailloux situations are very different.
It is different... yet similar traumatic effect for the victim. Bullying effect

Mailloux was also much older when he caused this harm

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
The way I read it "ineligible to play" = "under indefinite suspension". I guess the different wording is used because you can't "suspend" someone who hasn't yet started to play.

Different incidents, but I think it's clear that Mailloux signing without too much noise is what gave Bruins brass the hope that they can get away with signing Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad