The Next Step(s) For The Edmonton Oilers.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
HOPE were can't miss core guys, save for Omark. Now they are all gone. You simply can't list off all the prospects you did as can't miss guys. That almost never happens. Yes it is better than not having them, but they haven't proven anything yet.

What's sad is with HOPE we were the worst in the league.

The Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky lead team had us finishing just outside the playoffs.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
they've addressed goaltending and addressed coaching

do you think this team will suck this year? and if so...why?
Well let's see.... They weren't very good last year, and they're not likely to get huge upgrades anywhere in the lineup.

We "addressed" goaltending by signing a guy who has less NHL games to his credit than fingers.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Talbot let in the first shot 14 times which I believe is a record.
If he did manage to save the very first shot, the first 3 shots had an incredibly high rate of going in with him.

I blame 90% of last season on the fact we were playing from behind most games. That's either on coaches not preparing this team properly? or Talbot.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Well let's see.... They weren't very good last year, and they're not likely to get huge upgrades anywhere in the lineup.

We "addressed" goaltending by signing a guy who has less NHL games to his credit than fingers.
why can't Talbot recover?
do you expect the PK to be bad again?
do you expect the PP to be bad again?

and I had no idea the UFA period is open and we signed no one...

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's next for the Oilers?

Fix the wings. Fix the defense. Fix the goaltending. Fix the coaching. Fix the front office. Fix the minor league team. Fix the cap structure.

Yeah, only a few things. Nothing major..lol

Talbot let in the first shot 14 times which I believe is a record.
If he did manage to save the very first shot, the first 3 shots had an incredibly high rate of going in with him.

I blame 90% of last season on the fact we were playing from behind most games. That's either on coaches not preparing this team properly? or Talbot.

This just added to the problems last year that they couldn't afford to have happen. With no secondary scoring, defense or depth, this team can't afford to take nights off, have Talbot let in the first shots so frequently, have such a bad PK and PP etc. They don't have enough to survive any of that for even a short period else it's over. Which just goes to show you how far away this team actually is. It's depressing. lol

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
why can't Talbot recover?
do you expect the PK to be bad again?
do you expect the PP to be bad again?

and I had no idea the UFA period is open and we signed no one...
I never said we weren't going to sign anyone. Problem is we have so little room (both cap space and roster wise) to sign anyone of significance.

But see you're banking on everything going right for the Oilers. What if Talbot doesn't rebound? That alone sinks the season unless this wonder goalie who's limited NHL stats are suited for an ECHL can steal the show... Which would be ideal, at least until he demands a raise that we likely can't pay him.

McDavid playing even better than last year couldn't prevent this team from losing.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I never said we weren't going to sign anyone. Problem is we have so little room (both cap space and roster wise) to sign anyone of significance.

But see you're banking on everything going right for the Oilers. What if Talbot doesn't rebound? That alone sinks the season unless this wonder goalie who's limited NHL stats are suited for an ECHL can steal the show... Which would be ideal, at least until he demands a raise that we likely can't pay him.

McDavid playing even better than last year couldn't prevent this team from losing.
no I'm not...if half the players that sucked last year (Lucic, Klefbom, Talbot, Larsson, Sekera) improve and half the young guys improve (Puljujarvi, Rattie, Caggulia, Yamamoto if he plays), this team is better

and we get even average special teams., not DFL..this team is vastly improved

and I'm not even counting the adds in UFAs

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
If the Oilers do not make the playoffs and look good doing it with the best player in the world and another very high end forward and after investing heavily on the defense chia, mac and the whole group should be booted to the curb immediately.

The coach has done a poor job running the team, the gm has made things worse by awful moves.

There is not year 3 of a 12 year rebuild. Get off the stick and get results or get out of the way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers do not make the playoffs and look good doing it with the best player in the world and another very high end forward and after investing heavily on the defense chia, mac and the whole group should be booted to the curb immediately.

The coach has done a poor job running the team, the gm has made things worse by awful moves.

There is not year 3 of a 12 year rebuild. Get off the stick and get results or get out of the way.

If they don't make the playoffs next year I think everyone will be fired except Keith Gretzky, Wayne Gretzky, and Kevin Lowe (who is more OEG anyway).

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
no I'm not...if half the players that sucked last year (Lucic, Klefbom, Talbot, Larsson, Sekera) improve and half the young guys improve (Puljujarvi, Rattie, Caggulia, Yamamoto if he plays), this team is better

and we get even average special teams., not DFL..this team is vastly improved

and I'm not even counting the adds in UFAs
You're still relying on the rebound or progression of a good chunk of the roster.

And this of course isn't taking inevitable injuries into account. It's not like the Oilers just missed last year. They weren't even close. Most of the playoff teams ran them over. Even some of the bottom feeders did.

This team needs an upgrade. Nobody's going to look past them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fire Chia!

I kid, kind of.

We're stuck in that no mans land where the patient already had the elective operations and you can't fire the mad doctor in mid treatment without becoming a Frankenstein casualty.

We already had the worst pain ( I sure hope) and maybe the plan will get somewhere from here. At this point we have to see it through and have Chia here this season and probably the one after.

That said there has to be a moratorium on any more blow it up trades. We can't trade away a big name at this point, no more bleeding. Any of that should have to be signed off on by all of the org and Katz.

But we are 3 years in the Chia/McD land. Clock IS ticking. The live body team has to be improved. Its CRITICAL that we find one +20G winger. We HAVE to. Not sure how that is going to take place but without it our topsix is entirely lacking go to depth. We can't start another season in which it is disaster if even one of our topsix forwards goes down with injury.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Fire Chia!

I kid, kind of.

We're stuck in that no mans land where the patient already had the elective operations and you can't fire the mad doctor in mid treatment without becoming a Frankenstein casualty.

We already had the worst pain ( I sure hope) and maybe the plan will get somewhere from here. At this point we have to see it through and have Chia here this season and probably the one after.

That said there has to be a moratorium on any more blow it up trades. We can't trade away a big name at this point, no more bleeding. Any of that should have to be signed off on by all of the org and Katz.

That said we are 3 years in the Chia/Mcd land. Clock IS ticking. The live body team has to be improved. Its CRITICAL that we find one +20G winger. We HAVE to. Not sure how that is going to take place but without it our topsix is entirely lacking go to depth. We can't start another season in which it is disaster if even one of our topsix forwards goes down with injury.

Sign Reider, develop Yamamoto and Puljujarvi.

There's not much else I can see realistically happening on the wings. RNH is McDavid's winger so at least that's kinda done. Leon has to learn to produce with one of Reider/Yamamoto/Pulju ... that's just how its gonna have to be.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You're still relying on the rebound or progression of a good chunk of the roster.

And this of course isn't taking inevitable injuries into account. It's not like the Oilers just missed last year. They weren't even close. Most of the playoff teams ran them over. Even some of the bottom feeders did.

Exactly. Its like few people even consider this. Completely healthy we don't even have a topsix. With injury to any of the 3 good forwards we have its absolute disaster. I just mentioned the same.

Next, our conference Rivals generally got better last season, most of them did. Some more are getting better this season.

Its near the end of June and its been 1.5 offseasons without so much as a splash signing.

Chia gave us no significant vet starter last season and he hasn't got one so far this offseason.

If we go two offseasons in a row without improving the starting roster significantly that's two season of losing pace with other teams that do improve roster.

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We don’t have $5M. Strome got qualified at 3M and may get more in arbitration. Do we pay Nurse less than $4m and risk losing him next year? We spend .750 on a 7D and .750 on a 14th forward. That leaves less than 2M for a 2nd line alternative if 27 and 98 don’t both work out.
I would walk away from Strome and sign Duclair and Reider with the 3M.
Move Nuge to C or see if Caggiula can handle 3C duties

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Exactly. Its like few people even consider this. Completely healthy we don't even have a topsix. With injury to any of the 3 good forwards we have its absolute disaster. I just mentioned the same.
It's not going to be like 2016-17. People are aware of what this team can do. And they also know that behind McDavid there aren't many threats. They're one major injury away from a losing season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would walk away from Strome and sign Duclair and Reider with the 3M.
Move Nuge to C or see if Caggiula can handle 3C duties

I think breaking up RNH + McDavid would be a mistake. It's the only thing from last season that worked for us, lets not touch that. Took Todd to have the media force his arm into doing it too, lol.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
why won't they rebound?
it just as likely they rebound as it is if the "upgrades" we bring in flop
nothing is a sure thing

they weren't close because of the reasons I've said many many many times...unless you disagree with them?

and no team can account for injuries, nor overcome major ones..

of course they need to upgrade...but the Free agency hasn't opened
and it doesn't guarantee success

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think breaking up RNH + McDavid would be a mistake. It's the only thing from last season that worked for us, lets not touch that. Took Todd to have the media force his arm into doing it too, lol.
McDavid will have atleast 5 different linemates next season. Just because the duo clicked last season means nothing. Its a new season and fresh start for all.
McLellan SHOULD start RNH and McD together in preseason but then everything is up in air and players will earn their roles.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Next year is a 50-50 coin toss the way I see it. Every team should have some shot at playoffs, even Arizona and Buffalo, and when you have McDavid whatever odds you have should increase.

That said there are a lot of things that scare me about this team

1.) It's a one line team. Yes the McDavid line is going to score. But which version of line 2 with Draisaitl or RNH + remaining wingers can you count on for regular secondary production? This is a one line team, the McDavid show and not much else. I love Leon, but he needs to drive his own line and put up 65+ points without Connor.

2.) Injuries devastate this team and I'm not even talking like McDavid or Draisaitl injuries. It seems like any injury to any major player at any time completely causes the team to fall apart. Sekera is hurt and they fold, no Draisaitl for a few games and its over, etc. etc. etc. It feels like if any one of Draisaitl, RNH, Klefbom, Sekera, Larsson, or Talbot were to get hurt, they'd be hooped, let alone McDavid.

3.) Until Bouchard develops the offence for the blue line is still very lacking.

4.) I have no idea which version of Cam Talbot is showing up next year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
We don’t have $5M. Strome got qualified at 3M and may get more in arbitration. Do we pay Nurse less than $4m and risk losing him next year? We spend .750 on a 7D and .750 on a 14th forward. That leaves less than 2M for a 2nd line alternative if 27 and 98 don’t both work out.

When I posted that the cap wasn’t announced and was going off $82M which it would have been if the players used their inflator which they didn’t. (Just a fraction of one percent they used). I assumed the players would use the inflator as they usually have.

Nurse will get bridged on a 2 year deal I expect. We won’t lose him as he will still be an RFA.

But yeah I expect we will have about 2.0 - 3.5 tops. So not a lot of cash to do much with.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
why won't they rebound?
it just as likely they rebound as it is if the "upgrades" we bring in flop
nothing is a sure thing

You're absolutely right. So why will everyone rebound? Because we hope they will? If Talbot and/or Klefbom/Larsson fail to rebound, bye bye season. A team that's been bad for many, MANY seasons doesn't just flip the switch.

they weren't close because of the reasons I've said many many many times...unless you disagree with them?

and no team can account for injuries, nor overcome major ones..

If you have shitty depth you sure can't. Healthy or not, you shut down McDavid you win the game. There's very few threats throughout the lineup. Blaming last year on injuries is silly especially when your MVP manages to play the whole season. Even after he dealt with his bout of the flu, he got better. The team didn't. The team's biggest injury was Sekera's and that was one they knew about for 5 months prior to last season starting.

of course they need to upgrade...but the Free agency hasn't opened
and it doesn't guarantee success
And sitting around doing nothing or downgrading the roster doesn't either. This team wasn't good enough even when it was healthy to win. If this team gets off to another 3 win October they aren't coming back. And unlike last season, this season's October isn't friendly in the slightest. All but two games are against playoff teams and even then they still struggled against the Rangers and Hawks last year. Never mind the Caps, Preds, Pens...

Just like they had 2 seasons ago, a lot has to go right for them to make the playoffs this year, upgrades or not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lots of teams have sob stories about how injuries cost them a playoff spot last year. Calgary will say Mike Smith's injury cost them playoffs, Chicago will say Crawford's vertigo killed their season, St. Louis will say a late season injury to Tarasenko sank their playoff hopes. Dallas will be lurking again too.

The way I see it there are 5 non-playoff teams in the West (Calgary, St. Louis, Dallas, Chicago, Edmonton) that think they should have been in the playoffs but weren't.

I don't think there are 5 spots opening up, a few of those 5 teams will miss again next year.

The other scary part is the Oilers of that group probably have the least amount of cap room ... Calgary, Dallas, St. Louis all have money to add one pretty good player at least, even Chicago has about 9 mill in cap with no major RFAs to sign.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad