The Next Step(s) For The Edmonton Oilers.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The one thing that I will continue to give Peter Chiarelli and his staff for, is their ability to draft.

Every major hole that this team has should be filled very quickly by what is coming up in the pipeline.

We lack secondary scoring. Between Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, McLeod, Maksimov and Benson, that is coming very soon!

We lack offense from the Blue line. Bouchard and Bear should fix that very soon.

Then in general we have what we have never had before. Depth that we can call on from the AHL when injuries occur, especially on the blueline.

So what is next for The Edmonton Oilers? Patience. Peter Chiarelli needs to make sure that the team takes their time and do what is best for the development of every player listed about. He needs to sign some vets to 1 year deals that force these kids to earn a spot. And finally, he needs to look to the future and start clearing the cap space (Lucic, Sekera, Russel) that will be needed to keep what will be a very exciting core together.

He has enough time that he doesn't need to make panicked trades to clear that cap space.

Thoughts?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
If you draft well then you will have a larger window to contend. I can see a marked improvement in our drafting with Gretzky. The key now is to be patient as you stated. I can see us contending in 3-5 years if we keep drafting well, developing our players properly, and getting rid of anchor contracts.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It looks like after all our signings and after burying Montoya, we'd have around 5 million in cap space.

If Chia is still serious about adding a power play defenseman, we'd almost have to do it by trade, or at least trade someone else out. There's a log jam there. With Bear possibly challenging for a spot, and Nurse re-signed, that's already full right there.

Reactions: Cypress

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Agree.

I'm very impressed with this draft and how it address, with our other recent drafts, the majority of our weakness.

If Lucic wants out and we can do it without bringing back or retaining salary we could bring Maroon back who imo overall is slightly worse but also slightly cheaper.

While we don't have any true cap issues currently people really hate unused cap space. Next year we will have to sign a goalie so any cap savings we get from various means will have to spent on one year bargin bin deals. Stop gags if you will. JP will need a raise next year as well... others are coming due soon enough.

Like it or not this is our team now and for the foreseeable future. Personally I love the way it has been built. Amazing center depth. Some seriously good defense developing. Some veterans

If this year doesn't go well coaching will be the biggest thing that will need to be changed.

Ps: We got extremely lucky with this draft and took full advantage. Islanders got even luckier. Detroit did awesome.

I don't think we can rely on luck anymore. Development and coaching is crucial. We win or lose based on that moving forward.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If Chia is still serious about adding a power play defenseman, we'd almost have to do it by trade, or at least trade someone else out. There's a log jam there. With Bear possibly challenging for a spot, and Nurse re-signed, that's already full right there.

The pretty much always had to trade for a RHS powerplay quarterback if that is the route Chia wants to go. There isn't, and was never going to be, a free agent the Oilers could have signed under the cap.

I suspect there are some trades in the work. Not sure if there will be another top 4 D coming in. You are correct, that someone will have to go if they bring someone in for that role.

Don't forget Bouchard could also challenge for a spot.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
We still only have 3 sure bets in Nuge, McDavid and Drai in our top 6. I still hope Lucic can be moved to free up some $$$$. Secondary scoring is a big problem if Pulju and/or Yamamoto are not ready/able to provide the scoring we need on those top 2 lines. Guys like Strome, Rattie, Caggiula should not be there...

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We still only have 3 sure bets in Nuge, McDavid and Drai in our top 6. I still hope Lucic can be moved to free up some $$$$. Secondary scoring is a big problem if Pulju and/or Yamamoto are not ready/able to provide the scoring we need on those top 2 lines. Guys like Strome, Rattie, Caggiula should not be there...

Yamamoto + JP may take longer than we want but I think both end up being good top 9 RWERS.

Strome gets dumped on because of Eberle but is a good 3C. Can fill in top 6 if needed but not ideal.

I don't like Caguillia period but he is pretty versatile.

Rattie is a perfect top 6 complimentary winger for the Oilers. Cheap Wingers can chip in that cost nothing are required to offset McDavid, Leons, and RNH large contracts.

Reactions: thadd and Cypress

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Ideally i would like to see Lucic moved if we dont retain or give up assets (Cant see it so keep him)
Move Montaya ( Also cant see it he is our insurance if Koskanin flops)
Move Sekera for a RHD (faulk?? Carolina needs a LHD assume they would look at Klefbom)
Sign a low key bottom 6 like Chaisson, Jooris, JT Brown, D Ryan

Outside of that we have a solid team they just need to tie it all together

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Ideally i would like to see Lucic moved if we dont retain or give up assets (Cant see it so keep him)
Move Montaya ( Also cant see it he is our insurance if Koskanin flops)
Move Sekera for a RHD (faulk?? Carolina needs a LHD assume they would look at Klefbom)
Sign a low key bottom 6 like Chaisson, Jooris, JT Brown, D Ryan

Outside of that we have a solid team they just need to tie it all together

I suspect they hold onto Montoya, see how Koskinen does, and when a team's goalie is injured the Oilers will dangle Montoya for a pick.

I'd do Sekera for Faulk, I wonder if Carolina would. I'd consider adding a 3rd or Wells to push the deal through. They are looking for goalies though, so I'm guessing they want to square that away first.

Would Lucic waive for Seattle? It's pretty close to his stomping grounds. Russell? In an expansion draft we'd want to protect McDavid, Drai, Nuge, and JP (while having to protect Lucic). But we also want to protect Larsson, Nurse, and Klefbomb (while having to protect Russell.

I wonder how attractive Lucic, Sekera, and Russell would be for them. Bear would also catch their eye. I'd legit send them a pick to have them pick one of those 3 I mentioned (clearing Lucic, Sekera, and Russell's contracts frees up space for JP, Yamamoto, and free agents better suited to our needs).

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
We need restock the forward prospect pipeline, add an offensive minded RHD, Talbot to return to some form, and to stay healthy. Fix special teams too :)

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Fans have been saying this same thing since HOPE. Potential is just that, potential. Nothing less, nothing more.

In all fairness HOPE were all wingers.

Our Center depth was Gagner and Horcoff.
Our Defense hopes for the future were Pretty, Smid and Chorney.

McDavid, Drai, Nuge, Pulju, Yama up front

Bouchard, Nurse, Klef, Larsson, Bear on D

This is significantly different .

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

It's only significantly different if they develop properly. And the early returns on JP have been middling at best.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I thought patience was a dirty word around here! :huh::sarcasm:;)

You do not trade Lucic now but see how his game is next year. I am positive he will bounce back after an unprecedented horrific final half season. If they can add a secondary scoring winger for the $5M in cap space, that would be next for this year and let players develop under new coaching regime in Bako and Edm.

Next year, move Sekera and if Lucic game has indeed gone into the shitter we will have to deal him which will open up a pile of cap room. But patience is the key word for this coming season. Hopefully Talbot finds his game as well this off season as we need both him and Lucic to rebound.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The next steps are to be patient and build towards when McDavid is 24/25.

It will take a few years of investment into Puljujarvi, Bouchard, and Yamamoto to give McDavid an adequete supporting cast and we need the cap to keep rising.

Nurse, Draisaitl, Klefbom need to grow and become better players too, even McDavid has room to grow.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The next steps are to be patient and build towards when McDavid is 24/25.

It will take a few years of investment into Puljujarvi, Bouchard, and Yamamoto to give McDavid an adequete supporting cast and we need the cap to keep rising.

Nurse, Draisaitl, Klefbom need to grow and become better players too, even McDavid has room to grow.

Hopefully the special teams is improved. They have such a difficult start with next season. A good start is so vital.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hopefully the special teams is improved. They have such a difficult start with next season. A good start is so vital.

Next year is a toss up, think we need to take a longer term view here. Likely we have not been sharp/smart enough the past 3 years, so McDavid likely won't have a contending shot in his first 5 seasons of his career. That window is kinda closing.

We need to be smart from now on and build something that can give him a good shot in that second window of his career (age 24/25/26/27/28), this franchise has 3 years or so to get their shit together.

A real contender too, I'm not talking this "well we were competing for a playoff spot!" participation trophy crap.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Next year is a toss up, think we need to take a longer term view here. Likely we have not been sharp/smart enough the past 3 years, so McDavid likely won't have a contending shot in his first 5 seasons of his career. That window is kinda closing.

We need to be smart from now on and build something that can give him a good shot in that second window of his career (age 24/25/26/27/28), this franchise has 3 years or so to get their **** together.

A real contender too, I'm not talking this "well we were competing for a playoff spot!" participation trophy crap.

Its a bit worrisome with Chiarelli as the GM. Thank god he was at least smart enough to be patient and wait to draft Bouchard at 10 instead of flipping the pick and Klefbom for Krug like some of the bruins media kept yammering about.

Oct 15, 2008

HOPE were can't miss core guys, save for Omark. Now they are all gone. You simply can't list off all the prospects you did as can't miss guys. That almost never happens. Yes it is better than not having them, but they haven't proven anything yet.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I thought patience was a dirty word around here! :huh::sarcasm:;)

You do not trade Lucic now but see how his game is next year. I am positive he will bounce back after an unprecedented horrific final half season. If they can add a secondary scoring winger for the $5M in cap space, that would be next for this year and let players develop under new coaching regime in Bako and Edm.

Next year, move Sekera and if Lucic game has indeed gone into the ****ter we will have to deal him which will open up a pile of cap room. But patience is the key word for this coming season. Hopefully Talbot finds his game as well this off season as we need both him and Lucic to rebound.
We don’t have $5M. Strome got qualified at 3M and may get more in arbitration. Do we pay Nurse less than $4m and risk losing him next year? We spend .750 on a 7D and .750 on a 14th forward. That leaves less than 2M for a 2nd line alternative if 27 and 98 don’t both work out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad