the next nhl commissioner

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
Commissioners aren't voted on by popular acclaim or via democratic processes. Like the last commissioner, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, the next commissioner will be someone the owners believe will stand for the owners' interest, preventing activities that unduly tarnish the league's reputation (and thus shareholder value), and fighting to ensure a strong share of the pie for owners in dealings with labor.

When the commissioner does this effectively, the 30 ownership groups reward the commissioner, and when this is not the case, the owners find themselves a new commissioner.

The commissioner isn't going to be a former player, or a person with a similar high profile with fans. It's not a popularity contest. It's a purely business decision. Hockey background? Wholly secondary.

while mostly true, the NHL has only had 1 Commissioner in their entire existence.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Commissioners aren't voted on by popular acclaim or via democratic processes. Like the last commissioner, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, the next commissioner will be someone the owners believe will stand for the owners' interest, preventing activities that unduly tarnish the league's reputation (and thus shareholder value), and fighting to ensure a strong share of the pie for owners in dealings with labor.

When the commissioner does this effectively, the 30 ownership groups reward the commissioner, and when this is not the case, the owners find themselves a new commissioner.

The commissioner isn't going to be a former player, or a person with a similar high profile with fans. It's not a popularity contest. It's a purely business decision. Hockey background? Wholly secondary.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses.

Not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

JMROWE

Apr 2, 2010
Hamilton Ontario
Someone who can clean up Bettman's mess in which I mean cut the dead weight & relocate the teams that are to far gone to be saved namely the coyotes , stars , blue jackets & put the focus on the teams that can be saved like the islanders , blues & devils . Also someone who has balls that can stand up to owners like MLSE. , Jacobs , Snider & also has the best intrest of the NHL. in mind not just another yes man or puppet that would do the bidding of some of theses corrupt owners that are only out for them selves .

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Also someone who has balls that can stand up to owners like MLSE. , Jacobs , Snider & also has the best intrest of the NHL. in mind not just another yes man or puppet that would do the bidding of some of theses corrupt owners that are only out for them selves .
You're describing an absolute monarch from the middle ages, not a commissioner. The commisioner is elected by the BOG to do the BOG's bidding, paid by the BOG to do the BOG's bidding, and fired by the BOG if he doesn't do the BOG's bidding. In plain English THE COMMISIONER IS AN "AT WILL" EMPLOYEE OF THE BOG, who will fire him the minute he steps out of line. I repeat, employee of the BOG.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Someone who can clean up Bettman's mess in which I mean cut the dead weight & relocate the teams that are to far gone to be saved namely the coyotes , stars , blue jackets & put the focus on the teams that can be saved like the islanders , blues & devils . Also someone who has balls that can stand up to owners like MLSE. , Jacobs , Snider & also has the best intrest of the NHL. in mind not just another yes man or puppet that would do the bidding of some of theses corrupt owners that are only out for them selves .

Thank you for waving your hand and declaring who can be "saved" and who cannot be. I'll also point out that the Islanders have a 20-year average attendance of 12,000; if they were held to the same standard you're applying to Phoenix, Columbus, and Dallas, David Volek's goal would have put Seattle into the conference finals.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
Please for the sake of our game someone who loves the game and not such a egomaniac weasel making more money than 95 % of the players.

I hope for

Mark Messier
Larry Playfair
Wayne Gretzky
Chris Chelios
the great 19
how about ken dryden?..hes a lawyer...

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'm not entirely sure if dryden has the right credentials.

yeah he's a lawyer, but what's his experience in labour law? He does have some experience as an NHL executive with the leafs, but is that enough.

You look at candidates like Bill Daly (nhl chief counsel and bettman's righthand man for 15 years), John Collins (nhl marketing guru), Burkie (decades of work as an executive, gm, and agent), Pete Chiarelli (my darkhorse guy - agent, law practice primarily focused on labour law, GM), and a few years of executive experience at MLSE doesnt look impressive enough.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
it will go to Daly, just like it went to Goodell in the NFL. These gigs don't go to celebrities and the deputy is usually the best placed guy for succession

Hertl Power

May 7, 2010
Bay Area, California
It is going to go to someone who doesn't have any ties or allegiance to the players. The owners would never want someone who is baised against them in negotiation with the players. It would also never be an ex-player.

KzooShark

Jun 3, 2004

You know what happens when a commissioner tries to act like that? Ask Fay Vincent. You get fired, and then replaced by an empty suit of an owner named Bud Selig a few years later when they decide to fill the position. A commissioner works for the owners. They don't work for the fans or some nebulous "Good of the Game."

If it makes it easier, consider a commissioner to be the head of the "Owners Union" and leave it at that.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
it will go to Daly, just like it went to Goodell in the NFL. These gigs don't go to celebrities and the deputy is usually the best placed guy for succession

Someone mentioned Ken Dryden, who admittedly is an intriguing candidate however far too esoteric & outspoken to be playing the role of Hired Gunslinger for the owners. Wont happen. While I agree Daly would appear to be heir-apparent, he seems quite comfortable & is very effective as Deputy, no problem pulling the lever when the league wants to Hang em High, but will he be "comfortable" in the role Brodie?. We've seen what kind of difficulties can arise when a Deputy finds himself in the role of Marshall. Why, I can see Jacobs even now; "Pick up the Badge Daly. Pick up the Badge or leave justice to me & my men"...
they'd be wanting some kind of spectral phantom type of a Man with No Name Im' thinkin.

Last edited:

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I don't get it... Ken Dryden is an intriguing candidate why? Because he was a player? That's the antithesis of what the owners want, he'd be inherently predisposed to giving into the NHLPA. Otherwise he's no more qualified than David McGuinty, and I don't see anyone tossing that name out.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I don't get it... Ken Dryden is an intriguing candidate why? Because he was a player? That's the antithesis of what the owners want, he'd be inherently predisposed to giving into the NHLPA.

Ahh. "Intriguing" from a "hockey purists" perspective only, like a Gretzky or whomever being appointed Commissioner. Someone who they feel will magically transfix the league into what they'd subjectively like to see happening on the ice & in the boardroom. Absolutely the antithesis of what the owners want or would demand/require as you state. Many people like the idea of or are looking for a Messiah... come to think of it, seems ta me yer avy played that part once in a town called Largo... :squint:

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think it's all back to that same old misconception that the commish is the PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY or somesuch

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I think it's all back to that same old misconception that the commish is the PRESIDENT OF HOCKEY or somesuch

EggZakly.:)

NHL BOG's = Client/Employer/Boss/El Supremo'/God
Commissioner = Facilitates, Negotiates, Expedites. Follows orders...

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
You know what happens when a commissioner tries to act like that? Ask Fay Vincent. You get fired, and then replaced by an empty suit of an owner named Bud Selig a few years later when they decide to fill the position. A commissioner works for the owners. They don't work for the fans or some nebulous "Good of the Game."

If it makes it easier, consider a commissioner to be the head of the "Owners Union" and leave it at that.

To get that, you just need a major World Series Stanley Cup gambling scandal undermining the public integrity of the game and some panicked owners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenesaw_Mountain_Landis
The judge heard out the owners; after expressing initial reluctance, he took the job for seven years at a salary of $50,000, on condition he could remain on the federal bench. During Landis's time serving as both judge and commissioner, he allowed a $7,500 reduction in his salary as commissioner, to reflect his pay as judge. The appointment of Landis was met with acclaim in the press.[94] A tentative agreement was signed by the parties a month later—an agreement which itemized Landis's powers over baseball, and which was drafted by the judge.[96] Landis's contract stated that he could not be dismissed by the team owners, have his pay reduced, or even be criticized by them in public.[7] Landis would have full power over every person employed in the major or minor leagues, from owners to batboys, and the team owners waived any recourse to the courts to contest Landis's will. Humorist Will Rogers stated, "[D]on't kid yourself that that old judicial bird isn't going to make those baseball birds walk the chalkline".[97] Player and manager Leo Durocher later stated, "The legend has been spread that the owners hired the Judge off the federal bench. Don't you believe it. They got him right out of Dickens."[7]

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
To get that, you just need a major World Series Stanley Cup gambling scandal undermining the public integrity of the game and some panicked owners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenesaw_Mountain_Landis

Landis was a product of time and place, and such a thing is unlikely to ever occur again. The early 1900s were rife with corruption in every aspect of life, from crooked elections to judges kept on retainer by organized crime syndicates to rampant jury bribery to criminals (or people in the pocket of criminals) holding public office. The average person got pretty sick and tired of society being run by corruption, and the Black Sox scandal brought everything to a head. It's weird to think that Tammany Hall got away with what they did for so long, but when baseball had a single scandal, it was too much.

Between the Black Sox cleanup and the Teapot Dome Scandal of the Harding administration, the corruption went away fairly quickly. There were still isolated cases like Sacco and Vanzetti, but these became few and far between.

The other problem with the Landis administration is that his authority was absolute and arbitrary. His "big as a house" dismantling of Branch Rickey's Cardinals is an example, and his handling of the possibility of MLB integration is another. He had no reason to rule in either of those cases as he did, but who could call him on it?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Between the Black Sox cleanup and the Teapot Dome Scandal of the Harding administration, the corruption went away fairly quickly. There were still isolated cases like Sacco and Vanzetti, but these became few and far between.

Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Good points above in reply to kdb's illustrations pursuant to the Sox scandals, Calliope & Penny Farthing parts distributors Sacco&Venzetti, the corruption of absolute power etc... now that your back, perhaps you'd be kind enough to clear up the bolded?. Are you suggesting the Commissioner is selected by way of a Divisional Water Polo Tournament amongst the teams BOG's; possibly a relay race across Lakes Ontario & Michigan or what?. I can find no references to these activities in wiki yer Honor. Frankly, Im surprised. Had no idea being a club member of the league came with so many extra curricular activities & with whats gotta be just a whole bunch of wholesome, collegial fun... :)

Last edited:

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Are you suggesting the Commissioner is selected by way of a Divisional Water Polo Tournament amongst the teams BOG's; possibly a relay race across Lakes Ontario & Michigan or what?.

[PYTHON]
WOMAN: Well, how did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,... [angels sing] ...her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. [singing stops] That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!
ARTHUR: Shut up, will you. Shut up!
DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! Help, help! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give-away. Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about. Did you see him repressing me? You saw it, didn't you?
[/PYTHON]

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
... now that your back, perhaps you'd be kind enough to clear up the bolded?. Are you suggesting the Commissioner is selected by way of a Divisional Water Polo Tournament amongst the teams BOG's; possibly a relay race across Lakes Ontario & Michigan or what?. I can find no references to these activities in wiki yer Honor. Frankly, Im surprised. Had no idea being a club member of the league came with so many extra curricular activities & with whats gotta be just a whole bunch of wholesome, collegial fun... :)

It's a line from Monty Python. The appointment of an NHL president or commissioner follows a similar ceremony, except it involves Marty McSorley's stick instead of Excalibur.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
You saw it, didn't you?.

It's a line from Monty Python.

Ahh. Ok. Gotcha. Ya, I did see it apparently, several dozen times in the 70's, which is precisely why I remember none of it.... and thanks for posting the flashback Mayor. Nice to know other people can watch the same stuff voluntarily, turn it on or off when they please, a luxury I sure dont enjoy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad