the next nhl commissioner

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
because it's our game and should be run by Canadians

Things that happened the last time a Canadian (Clarence Campbell) ran the league:
- The NHL was threatened with lawsuits for refusing to consider expansion
- The NHL remained at six teams while every other league expanded coast-to-coast, permanently relegating the league to niche status
- The birth and heyday of the infamous C Form
- The rampant illegal and unethical activities regarding player salaries and movement (and I'm far from a unionist)
- The rise of Alan Eagleson
- The abomination of the pension plans
- The formation of the WHA

Based off of your logic (or lack thereof), since the NFL was made up of small Midwestern towns in its infancy, the NFL should always be run by someone from a small Midwestern town. It's our game, dagnabbit, and no big-city lawyer could possibly know how to run a professional sports league.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
because it's our game and should be run by Canadians

The opinions expressed in this post are those of Darlotto99, and do not reflect those of intelligent Canadians who are smart enough to figure out that running a sports league is in no way dependent on what passport is in your desk drawer.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Things that happened the last time a Canadian (Clarence Campbell) ran the league:
- The NHL was threatened with lawsuits for refusing to consider expansion
- The NHL remained at six teams while every other league expanded coast-to-coast, permanently relegating the league to niche status
- The birth and heyday of the infamous C Form
- The rampant illegal and unethical activities regarding player salaries and movement (and I'm far from a unionist)
- The rise of Alan Eagleson
- The abomination of the pension plans
- The formation of the WHA

Based off of your logic (or lack thereof), since the NFL was made up of small Midwestern towns in its infancy, the NFL should always be run by someone from a small Midwestern town. It's our game, dagnabbit, and no big-city lawyer could possibly know how to run a professional sports league.

Oh I'm sure you can make a list of things Gary has done that's just as bad.

I agree with Buck Aki Berg. The best man or woman available and who cares if she/he is a Martian. If he/she is the best get him/her.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
whoever it is, I want them to market the league better.. the play is fine, the marketing is horrible.. and I'm not talking the tv contracts which I think is really good.

Puckschmuck*

Why else do you want a Canadian commisoner?

Because I like Canadians? :laugh:

Seriously, I didn't mean to hurt your precious little feelings. Maybe when you grow a thick skin we can have an adult conversation about it.

Until then, here is a kleenex.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
david andrews-ahl commish, he constantly shows he cares about the league and moving forward and he doesnt get the **** booed outta him at every event he goes too, hell it wouldnt suprise me if bettman gets booed when he walks into the agm's in florida

i agree with the points made for brian burke, he'd do a great job

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
what matters the guys nationality as long as he can do a the best job, better then bettman at least.

A martian could do a better job.

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
what matters the guys nationality as long as he can do a the best job, better then bettman at least.

A martian could do a better job.

Bettman has helped grow the game over his tenure as NHL commisoner. Record revenues, the new TV deal, and people actually care about the sport in the United States now compared to before.

Bettman is bashed to much as a commisoner, and has done a better job than it seems.

I do believe that he's been commisoner for to long, and we need a younger leader with fresh ideas.

JackBurton

Jun 30, 2010
As much as I'd hate to lose him as our GM, I think Brian Burke would be an excellent choice for the job.

He is the consummate insider, former AHL player, four time GM, graduated Harvard Law, served a short stint as vice-president in charge of discipline under league commissioner Gary Bettman.

From the owners perspective he is a team player, forgoing chances to improve his club at the expense of the league as a whole by refusing to outbid anyone in various long term big money contract free agent auctions.

He can handle the pressure and the press well too, as his time here in the fish bowl can attest to.

Most importantly, he is a traditionalist, so you won't have to worry about him making knee jerk decisions every time there's a bad story in the press, or glowing pucks, or midget goalies to increase league wide scoring, or any other ridiculous crap like that. :D

Looking at Brian Burke's career so far, it seems inevitable that he will someday end up NHL commissioner. He's been a GM, a league executive, widely respected within the league, has the brains to match any other person involved in the game, and has shown himself to be a shrewd manager.

That being said, I don't see him becoming commissioner in the near future. I think he still has personal goals he wants to accomplish as a General Manager; be it with the Leafs, another team, or even the US hockey program. Ten years down the road though, I don't think there will be any real competition if Burke threw his hat into the ring.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Bettman has helped grow the game over his tenure as NHL commisoner. Record revenues, the new TV deal, and people actually care about the sport in the United States now compared to before.

Bettman is bashed to much as a commisoner, and has done a better job than it seems.

I do believe that he's been commisoner for to long, and we need a younger leader with fresh ideas.

The league has also had a season ending lockout under his tenure, various teams in trouble financially and the game while growing is still marketed terribly.

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
The league has also had a season ending lockout under his tenure, various teams in trouble financially and the game while growing is still marketed terribly.

However, his employers (the 30 NHL owners) must like him. They keep offering him contract extensions.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

Take a quick look at the Bob Goodenow Manual of Negotiations and see why exactly there was a season-killing lockout.

Teams have always been in trouble. Bettman and the NHL bent over backwards from 1997-2002 to keep several teams that were in dire straits where they were....of course, because those teams were Edmonton, Ottawa, Buffalo, and the NY Islanders, this was "necessary and proper" rather than somehow a bad thing.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
It will be Bill Daly, I would hire Dana White. The guy is a genius marketer and completly reimagined another contact sport, the UFC.
Why does it have to be either/or? You need a lawyer type to do the commisioner's duties, and the NHL could always use better marketing. Those are 2 separate skill sets, which you rarely find in 1 person. Furthermore, each one is a full-time job, and I don't think that 1 person would have the time to do both properly.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Eventually, when Bettman passes away, he will arrange so that is head is cryogenically revived, and Bettman's Head will continue to run the NHL to infinity....seriously, this might happen:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad