the next nhl commissioner

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
so, anyone got any suggestions for people OUTSIDE the NHL?

anyone in NFL/MLB/NBA exec positions that could do the job?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
so, anyone got any suggestions for people OUTSIDE the NHL?... anyone in NFL/MLB/NBA exec positions that could do the job?

Im sure there are danishh, but I doubt they'll go outside of the league this time around. Its' likely going to be between Daly & John Collins, and Im liking Collins chances as he's a marketing guy largely responsible for a lot of the growth in league revenues, pretty sharp tack. Gary Bettman retained as a Consultant (though tell ya what, that guy could go on & on & on like the Energizer Bunny; would not shock me). Beyond those two, Greg Jamison of San Jose (if he doesnt succeed in buying the Coyotes and is available) would be a good pick, as would several sports & entertainment Lawyers from LA to Vancouver, Florida to Montreal who count NHL franchises amongst their clientele.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Collins is an interesting candidate, but I think he's most effective in his current role.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Collins is an interesting candidate, but I think he's most effective in his current role.

Yes, however the BOG's may decide they'd like to reward Collins in order to keep him around and at the same time present a "friendlier face" as Commissioner to the public. Someone a little softer who when asked questions about the CBA etc will simply reply with an honest; "Well Ron, I havent got a clue. You'll have to ask Co-Commish Daly about that one, and he's down in the Bahamas' until May. Now, if youd' like to ask me about Januarys Amway Outdoor Classic in Glendale"...

Last edited:

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
i think that mike gillis would definetly be on the NHL`s shortlist should buttman be forced one day to just leave.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Someone who can clean up Bettman's mess in which I mean cut the dead weight & relocate the teams that are to far gone to be saved namely the coyotes , stars , blue jackets & put the focus on the teams that can be saved like the islanders , blues & devils . Also someone who has balls that can stand up to owners like MLSE. , Jacobs , Snider & also has the best intrest of the NHL. in mind not just another yes man or puppet that would do the bidding of some of theses corrupt owners that are only out for them selves .

Jacobs and Snyder are the ones pushing for the physical plays. They are not the enemies. The problem is that Bettman has his hands in too many pies. He wants to please these guys but also wants to look good to the media. We need a guy that won't be the happy-go lucky sellout that will change the game and will put teams in places that shouldn't be and that has to kiss the butt of the media.

I'd rather want someone to sit down with Jacobs and Snyder and say "you want old school hockey? i'm gonna give it to you and i'm gonna make sure it's gonna sell like cupcakes". Not be ashamed of what it is. I want someone to put a team in Saskatoon and tell the World that that is great. I want someone to say "look at this great drag out, no hold's bared fight, there is nothing better anywhere in any sports".

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'd rather want someone to sit down with Jacobs and Snyder and say "you want old school hockey? i'm gonna give it to you and i'm gonna make sure it's gonna sell like cupcakes". Not be ashamed of what it is. I want someone to put a team in Saskatoon and tell the World that that is great. I want someone to say "look at this great drag out, no hold's bared fight, there is nothing better anywhere in any sports".

Like thats ever going to happen. The Commissioner serves at the pleasure of the BOG's not vice-versa Kimota. He's an employee & follows orders. Period. Yes he's the "face of the league" in many respects but only symbolically. As "Big" Jim Norris replied when asked about the hiring of Clarence Campbell in the late 40's, "where else are we going to find a highly decorated War Hero Lawyer (Campbell was one of the Prosecutors at the Nuremburg War Trials) who will do exactly what he's told"?. Nothings changed through Ziegler's, Gil Steins' or Bettmans tenures.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
The commissioner doesn't make rules, the rules committee does

again, people believe it's some magical office

squidz*

The commissioner doesn't make rules, the rules committee does

again, people believe it's some magical office

Much like the POTUS or the CEO of your generic corporation. They don't do 10% of what the average person thinks they do.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
There is a thread (still active actually, you'll find it on page 6 going back thataway >>>) asking this very question that was busy throughout October.

Collins is a marketing (light on the legal thinking which is a drawback) guy & ya, might be rewarded with the job for his terrific work in increasing league revenues though Daly is the likely successor. Its also very possible GB signs on for another 5yrs. Guys like that rarely retire. Looking outside the NHL and or within it, Peddie, Burke, Tim Lieweke, theres a bunch of them. Outside the league?. Anyones guess. Many mentioned former players like Dryden or popular figure heads, like a Wayne Gretzky, however, I think the positions well above most if not all ex-players pay grades in terms of whats required...

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think it'll be Barry Gettman. Don't know much about him, but he does look somewhat familiar to someone else I've seen on a regular basis, except he has a brilliant mustache.... can't put my finger on who he looks like, though....

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
As much as I'd hate to lose him as our GM, I think Brian Burke would be an excellent choice for the job.

He is the consummate insider, former AHL player, four time GM, graduated Harvard Law, served a short stint as vice-president in charge of discipline under league commissioner Gary Bettman.

From the owners perspective he is a team player, forgoing chances to improve his club at the expense of the league as a whole by refusing to outbid anyone in various long term big money contract free agent auctions.

He can handle the pressure and the press well too, as his time here in the fish bowl can attest to.

Most importantly, he is a traditionalist, so you won't have to worry about him making knee jerk decisions every time there's a bad story in the press, or glowing pucks, or midget goalies to increase league wide scoring, or any other ridiculous crap like that. :D

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Most importantly, he is a traditionalist, so you won't have to worry about him making knee jerk decisions every time there's a bad story in the press, or glowing pucks, or midget goalies to increase league wide scoring, or any other ridiculous crap like that. :D

You could hire Ralph Wiggum for commish and pay him in Pixy Stix, and you wouldn't have to worry about him making knee-jerk decisions like that, because the commissioner doesn't act unilaterally.

Puckschmuck*

Would be nice to have a Canadian at the head of the relm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad