the next nhl commissioner

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
who should be the next nhl commissioner if gary bettman retires, if he retires

Thats an interesting question & calls for a lot of speculation. If he does retire upon expiration of his contract in a few years, one would assume the heir apparent would be Bill Daly, however, he too may decide to move on as he seems content in the role he's fulfilled & may not want the job. One things for sure, it'll definitely be a Lawyer...

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
There was another thread on this.

Also, I don't think the league needs a commissioner. Placing too much power on one person and it means potential incompetence. There should be a separate person to lead the league's finances (which would be the main position), someone else to handle game related matters such as organizing and changing new rules, a league secretary type of person who handles things with other leagues such as the European one or junior/AHL, etc.

Eaglepride*

Please for the sake of our game someone who loves the game and not such a egomaniac weasel making more money than 95 % of the players.

I hope for

Mark Messier
Larry Playfair
Wayne Gretzky
Chris Chelios
the great 19

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Also, I don't think the league needs a commissioner. Placing too much power on one person and it means potential incompetence. There should be a separate person to lead the league's finances (which would be the main position), someone else to handle game related matters such as organizing and changing new rules, a league secretary type of person who handles things with other leagues such as the European one or junior/AHL, etc.

There isn't that much power on Bettman in the first place. Game-related manners are not really handled by him. Rule changes go through the competition committee which has players, coaches, and GM's involved and is approved by the BoG. He does handle most, if not all, financial matters relating to the league in general as well as CBA negotiations for the owners. If I'm not mistaken, he has people to handle things with other leagues for the most part...Bill Daly being one of them.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i think bill daly has the inside track right now if they look for someone internally.

If they look outside of NHL Headquarters, one of the better educated GM's like Brian Burke or Peter Chiarelli (both lawyers) could work.

If they look outside of the NHL entirely, your guess is as good as mine.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
i think bill daly has the inside track right now if they look for someone internally.

If they look outside of NHL Headquarters, one of the better educated GM's like Brian Burke or Peter Chiarelli (both lawyers) could work.

My thoughts as well. Daly would get the job but the best guy for it would be Burke.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Please for the sake of our game someone who loves the game and not such a egomaniac weasel making more money than 95 % of the players.

This is a contradiction.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

That was the first name that popped into my head as well. He's had plenty of experience working for the league, is a Lawyer by trade, GM etc. However, he is a bit of polarizing individual (as is Gary Bettman of course) and Im not so sure he'd receive a favorable endorsement from any number of members of the BOG's.

One things for sure though danishh, he'll be available in a couple or three years... :baghead:

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009

These things all already exist :) The NHL is not just Gary Bettman!

I agree with John Collins - however he may be more effective in the role he is in now.

jessebelanger

Feb 18, 2009
That was the first name that popped into my head as well. He's had plenty of experience working for the league, is a Lawyer by trade, GM etc. However, he is a bit of polarizing individual (as is Gary Bettman of course) and Im not so sure he'd receive a favorable endorsement from any number of members of the BOG's.

One things for sure though danishh, he'll be available in a couple or three years... :baghead:

Always with the pot-shots killion :laugh:

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009

I hope for

Mark Messier
Larry Playfair
Wayne Gretzky
Chris Chelios
the great 19

Hockey is not for sale to industries? Really.

How do you think YOU get to see the games and listen to the games. On corporate owned TV stations, through corporate owned radio stations, in arenas, built by companies.

Tell that to the ESSO 3 stars of the game in the 1930s
Imperial Esso Hockey Broadcast.
later MOLSON Hockey Night in Canada
Beehive Corn Syrup photos
Topps and O-Pee-Chee hockey trading cards
Maple Leaf Gardens Limited

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Commissioners aren't voted on by popular acclaim or via democratic processes. Like the last commissioner, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, the next commissioner will be someone the owners believe will stand for the owners' interest, preventing activities that unduly tarnish the league's reputation (and thus shareholder value), and fighting to ensure a strong share of the pie for owners in dealings with labor.

When the commissioner does this effectively, the 30 ownership groups reward the commissioner, and when this is not the case, the owners find themselves a new commissioner.

The commissioner isn't going to be a former player, or a person with a similar high profile with fans. It's not a popularity contest. It's a purely business decision. Hockey background? Wholly secondary.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
what amazes me is that people want the pipsqueak Gretzky to be commissioner even though he helped run Phoenix into the ground....

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
Commissioners aren't voted on by popular acclaim or via democratic processes. Like the last commissioner, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one before that, the next commissioner will be someone the owners believe will stand for the owners' interest, preventing activities that unduly tarnish the league's reputation (and thus shareholder value), and fighting to ensure a strong share of the pie for owners in dealings with labor.

When the commissioner does this effectively, the 30 ownership groups reward the commissioner, and when this is not the case, the owners find themselves a new commissioner.

The commissioner isn't going to be a former player, or a person with a similar high profile with fans. It's not a popularity contest. It's a purely business decision. Hockey background? Wholly secondary.

:handclap::nod::handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad